Need Advice with a Ticket - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
AW Lounge A lot of talk about nothing!
For added fun, play in the AW Arcade!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-02, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Conquerer of the Poon

Send a message via AIM to mikegunnz
Exclamation Need Advice with a Ticket

Guys, I need advice on a ticket that I'm appealing.
Here's what happened:
I had dropped my car off at my Ac Dealer to change oil and fix sunroof rattle.
They gave me an RSX loaner and went to work from the dealership. On the way to work I had stopped at an intersection about to make a left hand 90degree turn. Was at a complete stop(waiting for oncoming traffic to clear up)
As it cleared, and I took the turn the tires squeeled a little...not much though. Cop was driving in opposite direction and pulled a Uturn and pulled me over. Gives me a ticket for unsafe movement of a vehicle. He said that "he heard the tires squeel, which meant that I had gone too fast and lost control of the car, which in turn constituted unsafe movement of the vehicle." I didn't lose control of the car, and couldn't of been going too fast for the turn bc I took it from a complete stop and never accelerated above 25-30 miles and hr,and that was after I took the turn. I'm thinking of arguing that the tires were underinflated which is what caused them to squeel. Just wanted to get any advice on any other arguments or theories I could use in court.
Thanks for the advice.

02 WDP TL-S
The "S" stands for Super mad crazy gumby dope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 01:21 PM
ken
C.D.F.K.I.

Send a message via AIM to ken
get a lawyer. worked for me.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Conquerer of the Poon

I've thought about doing that, but don't want to spend the money that it would cost, if I don't have to.

02 WDP TL-S
post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 01:28 PM
Red Sox Fan

Send a message via AIM to tmk70
You should have told the cop that you have spastic colon and you were about to blow mud all over the inside of the loaner!!!!

Fight it, dude, you'll get off. With a loaner, there's a myriad of excuses you can use. You don't need a lawyer for this one, you'll be fine by yourself!!

"I'm a big fan of Mozart and Bach...it's sort of a Mach piece."
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 01:45 PM

Well, I beat a ticket just like this - without a lawyer.

I got a ticket for "improper start from a stopped position" because the cop said I "spun" my tires.

I looked the statute up and got the exact text of the violation I was charged for and formulated my defence.

The statute stated that if a car starts from a stopped or parked position in a manner which is dangerous or endangers others, then it is in violation.

Well - I did "squeak" my tires from a stop, but it was quick, the pavement was dry, and there were no cars to my right - only the bike cop to my left. I went to court, told my story as above, and the judge dismissed my ticket.

So here's what I would personally say:

If you were making a U-turn, you were turning in as small a circle as you could. The RSX loaner you had is front wheel drive with an open differential. Each wheel can go at its own speed, but the design of an open differential is problematic for FWD cars because it allows the wheel with the least traction to get the most power. As you were turning in the U-turn, the inside wheel turns wider than the outside, and since the curve is smaller on the inside, it turns at a different rate (slower). What it boils down to is that the inside wheel has a larger tendency to spin, regardless of the speed you're going.

To test it, try this: find a parking lot that is really smooth - slick even. Turn the wheel all the way to the stop, and gently accelerate. You will still hear your tire spinning on the inside even under light power.

Unless you were being really crazy, you should be able to get off. Besides - as the judge told the cop at my hearing, if I was being that crazy, he should have given me wreckless driving instead.

A job is an involvement, not a commitment. Like a breakfast of ham and eggs: the chicken is involved, the pig is committed.

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now.

"The greatest thing about tomorrow is, I will be better than I am today. That's the beauty of tomorrow. There is no such thing as a setback. The lessons I learn today I will apply tomorrow, and I will be better." --Tiger Woods

2004 Mitsubishi Evo VIII
Alpine CDA-9558
JL XR650-CSI (front)
JL XR650-CXI (rear)
JL 10w6v2 (bump)
Alpine MRP-M450 (bump louder)
Alpine MRP-F450 (front and rear amp)
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Conquerer of the Poon

Thanks for the advice. I actually wasn't making a uturn, it was a 90degree left turn...so I think it VERY similar to ur case.
I'm definately going to argue tire pressure, fwd thing you mention, along with other issues that can make tires squeel such as uneven pavement, air temp, and the fact that it was a loaner car.
Thanks again for ur advice.

02 WDP TL-S
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 03:48 PM
Red Sox Fan

Send a message via AIM to tmk70
Quote:
Originally posted by mikegunnz

Thanks again for ur advice.
I think the Spastic Colon idea is better!!!

"I'm a big fan of Mozart and Bach...it's sort of a Mach piece."
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Conquerer of the Poon

I was thinking of tossing a baggy full of coke out the window and then peeling out and hopping on the highway for a nice high speed pursuit....but I figured I'd of been late for work, so I decided to just take the ticket and appeal in court.

02 WDP TL-S
post #9 of 9 Old 08-06-02, 04:26 PM

Location: How much crap can I fill into this box? Is there a limit that I dont know about and I can keep on going and going? Maybe it stops somewhere around here? Nope. Here? Nope, keeps on going! Like the enigizer battery! Stupid rabbit. Oh that reminds me of
Tell him your girlfriend was waiting for you, and she was going to start with out you if you didn't get there in five mins.

"The West will continue to conquer peoples, even if it means a confrontation with another civilization, Islam, firmly entrenched where it was 1,400 years ago."
-Silvio Berlusconi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Off-Topic > AW Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in