Rolling Surveillance/X-Ray of American Citizens - Page 2 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
AW Lounge A lot of talk about nothing!
For added fun, play in the AW Arcade!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-10, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
AW resident 'old fart'

My Mood: Busy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 View Post
And let's face it - even if they would go around in vans randomly X-Raying shit... how would we know?

I guess until someone would somehow find out.

The new "radar detector"? X-Ray detector?

Check back with Passport in a few months.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 10-01-10, 05:07 PM
Banned

^^^

post #18 of 20 Old 10-01-10, 09:48 PM
dumber than a box of hair

The amount of radiation considered safe for most humans is the equivalent of one chest x-ray per year. Anything above that is considered dangerous.

First, consider that the human body is mostly water...soft tissue which x-rays can easily penetrate. Now, consider that what these vans are doing is attempting to penetrate sheet metal with those very same x-rays. They'll need much higher amounts of radiation, and anyone caught in an x-ray beam coming out of one of these vans without any shielding will be overexposed...and probably won't realize it until they develop burns or other symptoms.

I'm certainly not one of these paranoid types who won't have a cell tower near my house, but this is not only exposure to dangerous amounts of radiation but also unchecked governmental snooping on private citizens of the type we foolishly allowed nine years ago with the Patriot Act. The authors of the Bill of Rights must be doing spins in their graves, especially those who wrote the Fourth Amendment. Unfortunately I can see our current Supreme Court finding some convoluted reasoning to justify it on Fourth Amendment grounds.

This is how it occurs, folks...bit by bit...our rights and freedoms become eroded and eventually disappear, because of things like this which, in another era, would have been considered an outrageous and unwarranted intrusion into our privacy. Now, in the name of fighting terrorism, it seems anything goes...including our freedom.

It needs to be stopped. It won't be.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
post #19 of 20 Old 10-03-10, 12:15 AM
Ska
Like a Boss

Send a message via AIM to Ska
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 View Post
Now, if they were to advertise or make it known that they will be doing mobile scanning at such places as sporting events, political gatherings, or national landmarks, I might be okay with that.
F that. I wouldn't be ok with that at all. It's not like anywhere besides the U.N building and the White House needs that kind of security anyways. I can see getting patted down by security before games and concerts and stuff (as they often do) to make sure you're not packing weapons, but X-rays? Really? What, do you think I have a flask or a 9mm shoved up my ass? Or stashed under the seats in my car? How the hell is this an efficient use of resources? I'd like to see ONE positive outcome of this, in quantifiable terms. And what are they going to do if they x-ray your car and they do find a gun that's not registered to you or something? Sit there and chill until the event is over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewsintegra
theres no such thing as vtec fluid noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireMeltingRSX View Post
Hell yeah, called Predators. And who directs it is a moot point, putting a predator in any movie automatically makes it awesome. Imagine how good The Notebook or Dirty Dancing could have been if there was a predator in them.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-03-10, 10:48 PM
dumber than a box of hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska View Post
I'd like to see ONE positive outcome of this, in quantifiable terms.
Believe me...you don't. The PTB's attitude will be "if it prevents ONE attack, its use is justifiable," and you can bet any amount of money that they'll find something, even if they have to make it up (and how are we going to prove otherwise). Never mind that the Constitution prohibits it. Never mind that this goes against every principle this country was founded upon.

As we inch ever closer to a police state...

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Off-Topic > AW Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in