Audio system novice looking for help! TL-S - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Audio/Visual Looking to upgrade? Get your A/V questions answered here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-03, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Audio system novice looking for help! TL-S

Question how difficult will it be to fit 6.5's in the front of 2002 TL-s? I'm thinking of going component up front.. w/ the tweet's on the plastic on the interior of the side mirrors. As well, I was gonna go with coaxial's in the rear. Preferably all MB quart

Now.. I see the q-series run a 90-150 RMS rating. Does that mean..i have to have at minimum,.. a 90watt per channel amp to push these suckers?

Does anyone have any other high quality suggestsions that wouldn't require gutting the doors to fit 6.5's? I heard 5.25's won't sound as good, and don't quite get the midbass. If I get the power i need on the inside..i may just screw the idea of having a 12' sub..

answers?!? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-03, 02:23 PM

alright since i am not a mb quarts fan... for 2 simple reasons... i think they are way over prices and they sound way to bright..... other than that there is no reason you can not fit a 6.5 in the front doors.... but you are gonna at least have to make a 3/4 mdf spacer to go behind the speaker.... but i dont see any cutting required... unless of course the mb quarts have huge baskets like the boston pro's... then you might have to do a little trimming...
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-03, 05:14 PM

i have jl 6.5 in front of my 00'tl. so yes to that. the rms of the speakers should match up to the rms of your amp as close as possible. im not talking about the low end of the rms, because thats the minimum requirement. im talking about an amp that pushes the 150 watts rms to each speaker at the correct ohm. so for your front speakers a jl audio 300/2 will get you the rms your speakers need. that amp works at all ohms unlike most other amps.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-03, 02:04 PM
Rescue Hero

Off-topic, but related...

I had MB Quarts in the rear and KEF's in the front (both separates) with a Bazooka in the trunk of my previous car (Acura Integra)...

It sounded fantastic...

2003 Acura TL Type-S w/NAV
Metallic Anthracite
post #5 of 7 Old 09-29-03, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to UCLAtl
I have Boston Pro 6.5's in the front... I don't think it required major trimming but not sure since I didn't do the install.

And even with great door speakers, you will want that sub... trust me..

2000 Non-nav Silver TL
Accessories: metallic tint 20% all around, factory underbody, Inspire tails, WW flush mount spoiler, hyper white turn signals
Audio: Kenwood DDX7015 monitor/DVD player, Boston Pro 6.5's up front + PPI PC2300 amp, Boston RX67's in rear, JL 12"W3 sub + PG Tantrum 300.2 amp
Performance: Comptech exhaust, H&R Sport springs, 18" 5Zigen Hyper 5ZR + 225/40/18 Yokohama Parada Spec 2's, Rotora slotted rotors and Axxis Ultimate pads all around, SPC rear camber kit
Security: Viper 500 ESP alarm
post #6 of 7 Old 09-29-03, 11:06 PM
Acuraworld Junior Member

Stinkboy:
You suggested that he run the jl300.2 for his front speakers. Does that mean that the head unit would handle the rears, or would you get another amp for them?

thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 09-30-03, 10:01 AM

if you have four speakers (2 front and 2 rear) that all have up to 150 watts rms. then you would need a 300.4 jl audio amp or two 300.2 jl audio amps.

all im saying is to maximize the speakers you pay good money for is to not go cheap on the amp or the speakers will sound like crap. part of that is to max out the rms of the speakers and the other is to buy a quality amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Shop Talk > Audio/Visual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in