Changing the Main-Relay on the RL - DIY - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-06, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Changing the Main-Relay on the RL - DIY

Recently it seems like quite a few people been having problems with the RL main-relay.
I had to take some pictures for "kry01" and figure I'd put together a DIY. Hopefully it
will help save someone a few $$.

Symptom:
The starter cranks when you turn the key but the RL will not start.

Tests:
Make sure fuel is getting up front - disconnect the lower fuel lines from the fuel filter and
turn the key. If it gas is flowing then it's probably not the main-relay nor the fuel pump.
However if gas is not flowing there is a big possibility it's the main relay (small chance it
could also be your fuel-pump).

Steps to replace the Main-Relay:

1) You might first want to disconnect one of the battery cables - just a precaution since
you're replacing an electrical part.

2) Remove the panel below the steering wheel, no tools needed its just snap-on
(see red arrows pointing to metal clips around the edges).

Name:  Panel1.JPG
Views: 38103
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  Panel2.JPG
Views: 40733
Size:  80.7 KB

3) Disconnect the connectors from the main-relay box (black box, you might need a
flash light) and remove the relay box (black box). You might need a flat screw driver
to stick between the box and the bracket (see bracket below) The plastic clip on the
box fits into the notch in the bracket (see red arrow).

Name:  RelayBracket.JPG
Views: 56364
Size:  79.4 KB

This is the clip on the box that fits into the slot on the bracket.

Name:  MainRelayBox1.JPG
Views: 46952
Size:  87.9 KB

4) Connect the new relay and reverse steps 1-3 to put everything back together.
Attached Images

Last edited by map95003; 11-22-06 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 06-04-07, 01:57 PM

GREAT POST

I had my car towed as it died on me on the road. This forum saved the day again. I replaced the main relay and it started up perfectly.

I am having trouble though putting it back into the bracket. So tight in there. I left it hanging on the wires to get me home. I will work on it tonight.

Wow. I love this forum.
post #3 of 64 Old 07-05-07, 12:47 PM

Wow thanks
You saved my life.

Does anybody know where to get this part

EDIT: Found it, $60 at the acura dealer. took 5 minutes to swap out

Last edited by waterpolo820; 07-05-07 at 06:38 PM.

post #4 of 64 Old 07-05-07, 03:27 PM
jinny=guy, avatar=girl

I'd ask Tim (hondacuraworld) at the "dealer talk" forum link at the top of the page.

I'm still alive on the internet!
post #5 of 64 Old 07-07-07, 08:25 PM

Mine is still hanging since the bracket was being difficult, I repaired mine and it still works no problems.
post #6 of 64 Old 07-16-07, 03:07 PM
Vigorous

We've had this kind of relay problem since the mid-late 90's in our Vigors. They main relay will run from 50-90 depending on where you are getting it from. You can also repair the relay if you are handy with a soldering iron. Many Honda/Acura owners, myself included, have repaired their relays and have had the problem disappear.
post #7 of 64 Old 07-20-07, 10:10 AM

Is this the same procedure for a 2000 RL

Mine went dead the other day, then got it started again. Started right up the following morning, but died on the turnpike!! Had to get it towed, now just turns over, smells like no gas present.

Is replacing the main relay the place to start? I think the fule pump is in the tank. Does anyone know otherwise?

SUCCESS!!

I REPLACED THE MAIN RELAY AND IT RUNS LIKE A CHARM.. WAS DIFFICULT TO GET AT, MINE WAS UP BEHIND THE STEERING COLUMN. COULD NOT GET IT TO HANG BACK UP, SO ITS IN THERE FLOATING BUT WITH SO MUCH STUFF IN THERE, ITS REALLY NOT MOVING AROUND AT ALL.. PART WAS $75 FROM ACURA DEALER.. PARTS GUY SAID THEY GO ALL THE TIME AND DIDNT NEED TO LOOK UP THE PART NUMBER FOR ME THATS HOW OFTEN THEY PASS THRU HIS HANDS.

Last edited by squidflake; 07-23-07 at 12:26 PM.
post #8 of 64 Old 01-19-08, 11:31 AM

Main relay

I had the same problem. A friend I know who works at the Acura dealer said its a recurring problem wth the RL's. That relay is a dealer only part and mine was $75. Once I repplaced it car started with no problem. Spend the extra time to put the relay back in the bracket. Small fingers and a flat tip screwdriver help alot!!!!!
post #9 of 64 Old 02-11-08, 09:41 AM

guys,

It seems like im having hard time finding it on my 00 RL. If your sitting in the driver side, is it on the lower right hand side, kinda by center console? at first i thought it was on the steering column since I saw something that looked like it but i think its on the lower right kinda by just above the gas pedal?
post #10 of 64 Old 02-11-08, 10:56 AM
Running on LPG

yes, it is lower right hand side
post #11 of 64 Old 02-11-08, 11:02 AM

Thanks Luke! I thought I saw it there. Also, I came across this helpful website http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html but i think its for Vigor and Integra as i don't see any RL info. anywhere...
post #12 of 64 Old 02-12-08, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidflake View Post
Mine went dead the other day, then got it started again. Started right up the following morning, but died on the turnpike!! Had to get it towed, now just turns over, smells like no gas present.

Is replacing the main relay the place to start? I think the fule pump is in the tank. Does anyone know otherwise?

SUCCESS!!

I REPLACED THE MAIN RELAY AND IT RUNS LIKE A CHARM.. WAS DIFFICULT TO GET AT, MINE WAS UP BEHIND THE STEERING COLUMN. COULD NOT GET IT TO HANG BACK UP, SO ITS IN THERE FLOATING BUT WITH SO MUCH STUFF IN THERE, ITS REALLY NOT MOVING AROUND AT ALL.. PART WAS $75 FROM ACURA DEALER.. PARTS GUY SAID THEY GO ALL THE TIME AND DIDNT NEED TO LOOK UP THE PART NUMBER FOR ME THATS HOW OFTEN THEY PASS THRU HIS HANDS.
Guys, I finally replaced my main relay in foot of snow and 10 degrees out. talk about clausterphobic, jesus, it is tight down there....Im hardly mechanically inclined but I figured I'd give it a try...i first layed on my back, then got on my knees cuz all the blood was rushing to my head! then i started panicking cuz i couldn't get the damn 2nd wiring harness off. I tried to pull the old main relay off(black box) and that sucker would not come off. so I just unplugged the 2 wires and plugged it into the new relay. I still however need to get the old relay out as the new one is just dangling and i might accidently step on it when i press the brakes.

can someone tell me in little more detail as to how the relay comes off and goes back on? I'd sincerely appreciate it.
post #13 of 64 Old 03-31-08, 06:01 PM

I experienced the crank, no start condition yesterday. While driving on the highway a few days ago, I felt a vibration twice for about 2 seconds like the wheel was out of alignment and then it went away. I now believe this to be from the main relay acting up and cutting out the fuel causing the vibration. Maybe its just me, but I notice vibrations like that one and take notice.

Went to the Acura dealer and got a new relay for $72.
The plastic bag on the left is the new relay I got from the dealer and the relay on the right is the old relay.

BTW, to get the relay off the bracket, push up and it comes right out. Getting it back in is another matter.

This forum rocks. THANKS.

Mark
Durham, NC

post #14 of 64 Old 04-01-08, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabbitt View Post
I experienced the crank, no start condition yesterday. While driving on the highway a few days ago, I felt a vibration twice for about 2 seconds like the wheel was out of alignment and then it went away. I now believe this to be from the main relay acting up and cutting out the fuel causing the vibration. Maybe its just me, but I notice vibrations like that one and take notice.

Went to the Acura dealer and got a new relay for $72.
The plastic bag on the left is the new relay I got from the dealer and the relay on the right is the old relay.

BTW, to get the relay off the bracket, push up and it comes right out. Getting it back in is another matter.

This forum rocks. THANKS.

Mark
Durham, NC

Mark,

to get the relay box off, what do you mean push up? push up on the box or put a screwdriver up there and push up?
post #15 of 64 Old 04-01-08, 01:02 PM

The small tit that holds the relay in place is really thin. I did slide in a thin flat blade screwdriver between the back of the relay and the metal mounting plate to override the retaining tit. Push up on the relay towards the dash and the relay will slide off of the mount. This all happens with you laying on your back and you head directly below the relay. Good luck.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in