DIY: EGR and Intake Manifold Cleaning - Page 2 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-14-06, 01:59 PM

hey did u notices higher mpgs?.....how long is the whole process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romka View Post
I made ittoo!!!! In the preventive purposes. The result, is better than I expected!!!!! I recommend....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 Old 09-14-06, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I can understand the confusion. Honestly, before I got the code for insufficient egr flow, I didn't know what egr was either. So I did some research. It is acutally quite ingenious.

The exhaust gas recirculation system takes some of the exhaust gases and sends them back through the intake manifold to be reburned. There is a little pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to the rear of the intake manifold that the gas travels through. Unfortunately, they made this pipe quite narrow.

As a result of extensive mileage, low octane gas and imperfections in the combustion process, carbon deposits start to build up in this pipe and the surrounding passages. This can block the exhaust gas from flowing efficiently.

This causes the OBD to spit out a code and shut down the system. This will lead to a couple of things:

-poor gas mileage and engine performance
-fail your insptection
-higher emissions (if your concerned about the environment)

Acura has an extended emissions warranty that goes for 15000 miles (?? yrs) so this can be covered under warranty. If not under warranty, it will cost you about $300-$500 at the dealer, or $100 to DIY.
post #18 of 49 Old 09-19-06, 06:27 PM

Thanks.

thanks for your research Pett!!!!
do you know at what intervals this is suppose to be done? Every other day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petthepeep View Post
I can understand the confusion. Honestly, before I got the code for insufficient egr flow, I didn't know what egr was either. So I did some research. It is acutally quite ingenious.

The exhaust gas recirculation system takes some of the exhaust gases and sends them back through the intake manifold to be reburned. There is a little pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to the rear of the intake manifold that the gas travels through. Unfortunately, they made this pipe quite narrow.

As a result of extensive mileage, low octane gas and imperfections in the combustion process, carbon deposits start to build up in this pipe and the surrounding passages. This can block the exhaust gas from flowing efficiently.

This causes the OBD to spit out a code and shut down the system. This will lead to a couple of things:

-poor gas mileage and engine performance
-fail your insptection
-higher emissions (if your concerned about the environment)

Acura has an extended emissions warranty that goes for 15000 miles (?? yrs) so this can be covered under warranty. If not under warranty, it will cost you about $300-$500 at the dealer, or $100 to DIY.

post #19 of 49 Old 09-20-06, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

There is no set time interval between cleanings. Its more of a per basis deal where it only needs to be done when a code is present. However I can tell you this from experience:

The first time I had it done was about 130,000 miles....Acura did it and it was still under warranty. I had to do it again at about 190,000. I happened to know for a fact that Acura doesn't take the entire manifdold apart and clean it like I described. They take the EGR pipe off and clean in there until the code goes away. This is why it took only 60,000 miles the second go around vs. 130,000. If you do what I did, you will not have to do it again for a long time.
post #20 of 49 Old 03-26-07, 12:05 PM

If no check engine light, code, or rough running engine can I assume my EGR valve is okay?

My mileage has dropped off recently and I'm trying to narrow down the problem. Car runs great, nice and smooth, but I've lost close to 4 mpg both city and highway.

Thanks for any input.
post #21 of 49 Old 04-02-07, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes codes are "hidden" meaning they are stored in the system, but the light doesn't come on. In this case, you can still read the codes. Follow the sticky for that.
post #22 of 49 Old 10-23-07, 04:41 PM

Here in the Dallas area we see a lot of egr ports clogged. I would say we do at least 4-5 port cleanouts a week. The 96-97 rl's have a warr. extension that will cover this at no charge up till 150k . Other year models are out of warr. @50k miles.

The cleanout can be done without any parts needed, the intake does not need to be removed. Our techs just lay on top of the engine and reach between the fire wall and the back of the cyl. head to access the egr pipe and port plate. Remove the 4 crossover tube nuts and crossover tube. Then remove the port plate bolts and plate. Then start with a 1/4 inch drill bit in your hand and push the drill bit through the built up carbon in the back of the cyl. head until you break through to the open chamber on the inside of the head. Keep increasing the size of the bits until you have cleaned the round hole completely. You will just twist the bits to "hand drill"
through the carbon. This is tedious work and is why it cost so much. But it is not that bad. Once you have it all back together, you'll need the code cleared from your system by a code scanner available just about anywhere that sells tools

ACURA SERVICE ADVISOR (18 Years experience)
post #23 of 49 Old 01-18-08, 12:13 PM

Intake cleaning

Any one know where I could get my intake manifold cleaned out??
post #24 of 49 Old 01-18-08, 12:16 PM

My RL Is still under warranty but the delaer wont touch it until my engine light comes back on what can I do?!!
post #25 of 49 Old 04-30-08, 10:45 PM

I got the 0401 code a couple of years ago and cleaned out the EGR valve. I reset the code and it didn't reappear until a few days ago. So 2 years and a half hour cleaning job isn't that bad. I'll look into the 'drill bit' cleaning procedure for the next cleaning. Thanks for the DIY, very thorough info and photos!
post #26 of 49 Old 05-18-08, 01:28 AM

Just finished the Sea Foam treatment. At first, I didn't think it did a damned thing. Poured it in via the brake booster line VERY slowly as the engine wanted to die very easily. Probably took at least 5-6 minutes just to pour in 1/3 of a can. After about 10 minutes I started the car and waited for the smoke show.

Nothing.

I let it idle for awhile. Still nothing. Then I realized that the car was parked facing upwards towards my garage and figured that may be a factor in getting the Sea Foam into the entire intake area, so I turned the car around facing downwards. I started pouring another 1/3 of the can in via the brake booster line and then figured that I didn't want to bend over the engine bay another 5-6 minutes to do it, so I called my wife out and asked her to apply the gas to about 2000 RPM. I poured the Sea Foam in with no troubles in about 45 seconds and realized halfway through that there was exhaust filling my garage! LOTS of exhaust!

So. Close the door and turn off the car for another 10 minutes. This time I got the smoke show I was expecting. I pulled 5 codes from the OBDII scanner (4 of them engine misfires from pouring in the Sea Foam plus the EGR code) and reset them, I'll go for a drive tomorrow and see if the code appears again.
post #27 of 49 Old 05-29-08, 07:48 PM

did cleaning today

hello i did the egr cleaning today and with good results...no more check engine light and no more insufficient flow codes. i did do a couple of the steps you performed pushing hood back, strut bar, and removing the egr valve and cleaning that. i was able though to remove the egr port/base and remove the small tube and plate that the tube connects to on the intake manifold without removing the manifold itself. to do so i had to remove the little box that is on the firewall that the egr plugs into then disconect a heater hose that is mounted behind the intake manifold on the firewall. no need to disconnect the hose just disconnect it from the mount on the wall. kept me from having to add coolant and etc. once that is all done i used a 1/4" driver with deep 10mm socket and to get the pipe off the back of the intake manifold and off the EGR base. then i toke the base off and cleaned everything as well as the pipe which was COMPLETELY clogged. then i used a drill bit to remove/scrape as much carbon out the intake manifold where the small piped connected to after bout hour of that put everything together reset the codes and so far so good. thanks for the tips.
post #28 of 49 Old 05-29-08, 09:39 PM

No codes for me so far and the low end response is much better than it used to be. It surprises me at times when I need to do a quick escape into traffic and it lunges forward. A big two thumbs up for Sea Foam and I'm planning on pulling the tube as dclean did just to be sure that it's clear.
post #29 of 49 Old 05-29-08, 11:03 PM

yeah if no problems then the transfer pipe may be ok mine was clogged to where there was no flow at all. hopefully this will solve everything.
post #30 of 49 Old 09-15-08, 02:11 PM

Smile P0401 resolved!

After reviewing the above articles, I decided to attempt to clean the intake manifold and EGR pipe to clear the P0401 code on my 1998 RL. The entire process took approximately two days to complete.

Once the EGR pipe was removed, we noticed that there was significant buildup of carbon deposits on the inside walls, but not enough to block total airflow. We cleaned the pipe and debated whether or not to remove the intake manifold, water passage, and throttle body.

After deliberation, we decided to go ahead and remove the intake manifold - and it is a darn good thing that we did! We found that even though the pipe was relatively clear, the EGR plate that connects to the intake manifold was COMPLETELY blocked! The entire EGR cavity on the intake manifold had significant carbon deposits as well. This helps explain why a simple drilling of the EGR Intake Manifold Return only lasts 60k at best!

After cleaning and replacing the intake manifold and EGR pipe, the car accelerated well and idled much smoother. I am no longer seeing excessive smoke coming from the exhaust, and the check engine light cleared on it's own! Even though it is a greater effort, I definitely recommend a thorough cleaning of the entire intake manifold and EGR pipe.

Thanks to all for your contribution in this thread! Best of luck to all of you in your attempts to resolve the P0401!

Regards,
dbowl79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in