Acuraworld, I need your assistance. - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
All other Car discussions. Talk about all other makes and models, engines, modifications...you name it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-03, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
ken

Red face Acuraworld, I need your assistance.

I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't think it would be worthwhile to get some good discussion going on one of our collective favorite cars. I emplore your help on this matter, gentlemen.

One of my best friends is considering purchasing a new vehicle. I have managed to get him *seriously* thinking about a used E46 M3. This guy is the most stingy dude you'll ever meet in your life, I swear. So if he's gonna drop 40 large on a used M3, he needs to be convinced.

The money isn't an issue, but like I said, he's stingy; so he's not gonna want to pay more than he has to. Also, he's never done a test drive nor even rode in a 330. We're working on a test drive soon. We found a few deals online for low mileage (under 10K) and the cars were under $40,000. Although those are rare compared with the ones costing roughly around 40 even or a little higher. The only real necessity is SMG... his wife will be driving this as well, and she can't drive a manual. He'd rather have a coupe, but I think he would consider a drop top for the right price, especially if it came with a hardtop.

Okay, basically I'm asking you guys to make a case for this car. I'll be forwarding him this thread once it gets a few responses. Besides, you know this is partly for my own benefit as well because I'll get to participate in 333-hp M3 donuts on occassion.

Bring up whatever necessary, numbers and stats, personal opinions, pictures, anything!!! Just convince him to get the stinkin' car!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-07-03, 12:19 PM

Is he going to mod it?

If so get an E36, or E30.

If not, E46 is key.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-07-03, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
ken

I doubt he'll mod it whatsoever. He said after some time of ownership he might would be likely to do wheels/suspension, but that would be the extent of it.

post #4 of 24 Old 11-07-03, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ken
I doubt he'll mod it whatsoever. He said after some time of ownership he might would be likely to do wheels/suspension, but that would be the extent of it.
Oh E46 for sure then.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-07-03, 04:30 PM

need i say more

if those pics don't convince ur friend then disown him...j/k obviously ///Ms are the epitome of a sports coupe...i believe one formula one driver said that his M3 was the only other car he had ever drive that was even nearly as capable as his race car (handleing wise of course)
post #6 of 24 Old 11-07-03, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by noleaf74
need i say more...

that should do it
post #7 of 24 Old 11-08-03, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
ken

thanks Ryan.

I'm waiting for Jesal to come on here and post interior pics of his 330... I remember how clean he kept it, and it's virtually the same interior as the M.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-08-03, 04:22 AM
Allez les Bleus

Send a message via AIM to dkrift Send a message via Yahoo to dkrift
Quote:
Originally posted by ken
thanks Ryan.

I'm waiting for Jesal to come on here and post interior pics of his 330... I remember how clean he kept it, and it's virtually the same interior as the M.
Until he crashed it.

"Soccer is like a healthy diet - appreciated by the rest of the world but slow to catch on in the U.S."

post #9 of 24 Old 11-08-03, 02:21 PM
1/2
haf

Send a message via Skype™ to 1/2
Having driven the SMG, let me just say it really is an absolute beast, but yet at the same time it's a completely drivevable car. The suspension and low ride do not seem to make an impact in deterring the quality of the ride. I really feel that's where most of the money goes.

And then your foot on the gas pedal meets the floor...

wow, the response, the handling, the raw power...it's amazing and all you can think about it doing it all over again once you fill up the tank
post #10 of 24 Old 11-08-03, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
ken

Haf, I'm curious myself: can you comment a little more on the SMG?? How does this work in relation to something I'm familiar with such as the SS mode in the TL?

Can't you control up and downshifts from the wheel as well as the shifter?
post #11 of 24 Old 11-08-03, 03:16 PM
1/2
haf

first off, go to www.bmw.com/smg and check out the flash popup

now, this is NOTHING like the SS in the TL. SMG is just a very clever system. 6 modes for manual and automatic driving styles. each mode 1 > 6 -as you get higher- increases the driving style to a more aggressive approach. S6 being the highest which runs with DSC off and changes gears in .08 seconds ( ).

you could very well leave this in auto mode and never use the SMG features frankly, but still have an aggressive driving characteristic...but where's the fun in that?

the only time you use the shifter is the put the car in out and out of reverse. outside of that, you may press the button below it to change your modes, but the rest of the time your eyes watch the dash for gearing info.

in the manual mode, you have some wonderful features:

• throttle blipping - no jerking when you downshift
  • launch control - blast off the line without spinning out
  • hill descent control - (works like a charm). no rolling back while on a hill. while having foot on the brake, pull on the (-) lever, move your foot to the accelerator. the car will hold the clutch for two seconds while your foot moves over so the car won't roll back. very handy.

it's an amazing system frankly. i really enjoyed using it...the idea of driving and never having to move your hands is just very, very fun!
    post #12 of 24 Old 11-08-03, 03:31 PM
    1/2
    haf

i forgot to add, the the + and - levers move with you as you turn the wheel so you can shift while turning those long corners like highway on/off ramps
    post #13 of 24 Old 11-08-03, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
    ken

Great writeup!!

How exactly does launch control work? I was under the impression that you had to use the discovered "easter egg" to achieve full throttle launch.
    post #14 of 24 Old 11-09-03, 06:11 AM
    1/2
    haf

launch is a pretty taxing feature on the engine and they recommend you don't try this within the first 1500 miles. but basically, while in first gear, you can pull and hold the + lever and floor the car. the revs will loof in the ideal rev range + and hold until you release the lever and the car will just take off. (if i have my levers correct....i think it remember it being the + one).

then hang on.
    post #15 of 24 Old 11-09-03, 01:38 PM

Fuck SMG, that shit is for pussies.

Make sure he gets the 6 speed.
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Shop Talk > All other Car discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
    Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
    OR

Log-in