Tinting Windows (Must Read, Free Moleskin) - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
All other Car discussions. Talk about all other makes and models, engines, modifications...you name it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 351 (permalink) Old 02-20-05, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Tinting Windows (Must Read, Free Moleskin)

Are you planning to, or already have tint? You must install moleskin in order to prevent scratching.

This offer is only found here on www.acuraworld.com

Dont let any tinter fool you, you need moleskin. "Moleskin" is just a industry trade name for felt, typically used for dispaly cabinets and for channels for sliding glass. It gets applied to the inner window wipes.

Moleskin helps to reduce scratching. Even if your tinter says, "if it scratches i'll replace it", you dont want the hassle.

I offer moleskin for "free". I mean "free" because i charge only what i need to cover material, packaging, and shipping. A few cents leftover from each order goes back into buying more material stock, hence the revolving "free" offer. I make nothing on this deal. What you'll get is a 10ft piece of felt, enough to do a 3G TL.

Also dont let your tinter say they cant do the quarter glass fully. If he/she says that then he/she either is inexperienced or is lazy !!

This is a DIY or the tinter can do it for you. For DIY, it's best to take the wipes out just before it goes to the tinter. After 5-7 days of dry time on the tint you can replace the wipes.

WARNING: The door panel must be removed completely from the door. However, you do not need to undo the door lever from the panel.

Pic of door panel - Once you get the screws out you wedge your fingers in behind near each pop clip and yank firmly until it pops. NOTE: some pop clips may release from the door panel and stay in the door. You can use needle nose pliers and a screwdriver to grab the neck of the clip and pry it out (use screwdriver as a wedge to pry against). Once you get the panel off you can hold panel with one hand, and then with other hand grab and pull out the wipe. Then after wipe is out you can temp. hang the door panel back up over the window sill. If you have trouble getting the rear door lock shafts to align while putting panle back on, use a long screwdriver behind to position the lock shaft while lowering panel back over window sill.

Pic of wipe - i prefer to cut moleskin into roughly 1/4" strips (see pics). Clean wipes with rubbing alcohol before sticking moleskin on. I also prefer to keep the moleskin back away from the ends about 1/16".

Pic of how quarters should-not and should be done

Pic of what Moleskin is

You can obtain this "free" Moleskin at www.empirepao.com.
AK

Last edited by Acura_Kid; 06-23-07 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 351 Old 02-21-05, 12:16 PM
Eskiv Champion, Candy Tetris Champion

How did you get the quarter panel tinted like that. My tint guy told me it couldnt be done.
post #3 of 351 Old 02-21-05, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zipps
How did you get the quarter panel tinted like that. My tint guy told me it couldnt be done.
The moulding needs to be lifted so the film can be slid in using a lot of soap/lubricant to ensure "edge to edge" coverage. Check out Tintdude and see what these installers say about the TL.

post #4 of 351 Old 02-21-05, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zipps
let me explain further. a good experienced tinter will tell you this. it's not an issue to get the film in there, the issue is getting it clean before applying the film.

my tinter took his time, got it clean, and fit the film up tight inside.

bring it back to your tinter and let them know they did it wrong and have it redone correctly !!

i also see the post about Tintdude. some members there do hack work while others do great work. it's very hard to know who's who on that site.

Last edited by Acura_Kid; 02-21-05 at 01:42 PM.
post #5 of 351 Old 02-21-05, 01:57 PM
1/2
haf

Send a message via Skype™ to 1/2
stickied
post #6 of 351 Old 02-21-05, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura_Kid
let me explain further. a good experienced tinter will tell you this. it's not an issue to get the film in there, the issue is getting it clean before applying the film.

my tinter took his time, got it clean, and fit the film up tight inside.

bring it back to your tinter and let them know they did it wrong and have it redone correctly !!

i also see the post about Tintdude. some members there do hack work while others do great work. it's very hard to know who's who on that site.
I agree. My tint guy told me that it is doable, but to get it done cleanly is the key. I couldn't be happier with my tint job. There weren't even any gaps on the edge of the window.
post #7 of 351 Old 02-21-05, 03:53 PM

Oh yeah....and they did my clear bra as well.
post #8 of 351 Old 02-26-05, 10:28 AM

anyone know of a good tint place in nyc?
post #9 of 351 Old 02-26-05, 04:57 PM
Eskiv Champion, Candy Tetris Champion

If you want to drive over to Harrison, NJ. There is a place called 5 star tinting. They do excellent work. They are right off of exit 15w off the turnpike. Let me know if you want directions. I think its 160 w/ lifetime warranty.
post #10 of 351 Old 02-26-05, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbncents
anyone know of a good tint place in nyc?
The Art Of Tint
www.theartoftint.com, Tom knows his stuff.

i highly recommend him

he does most of his work in a shop in brooklyn right near Brighton Beach, but also does work from a shop in NYC.
post #11 of 351 Old 03-05-05, 12:41 AM

how do i get to him in brooklyn, i live in brooklyn. and how much does he charge?
post #12 of 351 Old 03-06-05, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
how do i get to him in brooklyn, i live in brooklyn. and how much does he charge?
belt to knapp st south, go south then make right at last light, go approx 2.5 miles, you'll see a rim shop on right side across from car dealer.

TL in HuperOptik runs about $400. call Tom 1st, # is at www.theartoftint.com, use the cell # listed.
post #13 of 351 Old 03-11-05, 10:49 PM

what is huperoptik?
post #14 of 351 Old 03-12-05, 11:57 AM

Quote:
what is huperoptik?
It is a high performance film and one of the harder ones to work with. Visit their website Huper Optik for more info. Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
Automotive

When only the best would do for your vehicle, look to Hüper Optik® films to deliver the utmost in performance, comfort and style.

Hüper Optik® brings you the world’s first and only ceramic-coated films with its unique nano-ceramic technology. While most conventional films offer limited heat rejection, Hüper Optik® nano-ceramic films give you superb heat rejection, low reflectivity and unsurpassed durability.

Clearly the window film of choice, Hüper Optik® films exceed your expectations with their superior performance. In addition to improving the overall comfort of riding in your vehicle, these films offer fade control and extend the life of your vehicle’s interior. By cutting out excessive glare to the eyes and cancer-causing rays to the skin, the occupants are protected from the harmful effects of the sun. And by cutting down unbearable heat, these high performance films cool the vehicle more efficiently and reduce fuel consumption.

The Hüper Optik® Ceramic series come in soft and neutral tones to give your vehicle an exquisite and classic European look, enhancing its overall aesthetics.
post #15 of 351 Old 03-12-05, 07:32 PM

i asked a tint guy today he got a 2yr warranty on peel and fade. 175. i asked him wat kind of tint they got and they said they got high performance ones some with metalic and some without. i also asked if they would install moleskin for me too and he said no his tints are scratch resistent high performance tint. he got a machine to make exact fits. i dunnoe if i should bring my car there or what. he said installing moleskin will catch dust and dirt anyway which will scratch anyway. what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Shop Talk > All other Car discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in