Tint quote for 03 Acura TL
Thanks for this thread and your expertise. I have found it extremely useful and insightful as I am looking to get the windows on my 2003 TL tinted soon. (Black leather interior in NoVa heat is like a broiler, as I would bet it is in everywhere else in the south.) I know that my car isn't a 3rd gen TL, but I thought it would help out anyone else looking to have the tint done in my area.
After deciding I wanted to go with the HuberOptik Ceramic tint (about to have an after market nav installed and I don't want to mess with the signal) I filled out the form on the Huber Optik web site and they sent me the name and contact info for the shop (California Tint in Sterling, Va.) in my area that installs their Ceramic tint. The owner called me that evening and he and I had a 10 minute discussion regarding what I wanted done, how much it would cost, etc.
Since I didn't have the script in front of me, I had to wing it based on what questions I could remember and then emailed him today with some follow-up questions. (His responses are in red, my notes are in blue.)
1. Do you install moleskin? Yes, they do. (Followed-up with 'You said you do install the moleskin on the wipers. Do you remove the door panel to get to the wipers? And is it an additional cost for the moleskin install?')
2. What film brands and series do you carry? (Already knew they carried the Huber Optik, so I ignored this question.)
3. Are these films dyed, ceramic, metallized, or hybrid? (Ignored since I am looking to get the ceramic.)
4. Can you do back window in one piece? (Forgot to ask, was a follow-up question.)
5. Can you tint under the 3rd brake light? No, due to local laws, unless you have a wing on the back (which I don't). I cut around it.
6. Can you tint the quarter glass completely, tucked up tight to the inner molding? Yes. (Follow-up question in email if they soap the moulding.)
7. What warranty does the film and workmanship carry? Lifetime on tint, lifetime on workmanship and the warranties transfer to whom ever I sell the car.
8. Are the warranties in writing on the work order (aka receipt)? (Follow-up email question.)
9. How much will it cost? Normally $680, but he is running a special for it for $520. (Follow-up email asking for how long the special was running and if it was dependant on the percentage of tint-40% all around vs 50% &
10. Can I see some of your work? (Follow-up question.)
Other helpful info he provided:
He has 23 years of experience, and his other master tinter has 10 years. They do the work themselves (I assume for this and other high end tints) instead of it being done by someone just starting out. He doesn't use the computer software but rather hand cuts the tint. He can do the 50%/35%/35% (va state laws), 50% all around (i would perfer to make it look even) or even 40% all around if I get a special waiver from my doctor and the DMV. (Must have this prior to getting the tint job done so it will go into the DMV computer and you don't get stopped. I asked him about the the factory tinting affects the percentage of the tint to be installed and he said it was negligable. He said in one case they had to remove it on another car, but usually it's not a problem. (I thought that the windows we tinted as part of the glazing and manufacturing process at the factory, not an actually tinit sheet that was applied. Maybe I was wrong.)
And he said it would take 2 to 3 hours.
I'll let you know what he says and will post pics once I have had it done.