Tinting Windows (Must Read, Free Moleskin) - Page 6 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
All other Car discussions. Talk about all other makes and models, engines, modifications...you name it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 348 (permalink) Old 05-28-05, 06:52 AM

Anyone has recommendations for tinter in the Tampa/St.Pete area?

Also, Iím getting a white 05TL no NAV, what are some good film to keep heat and sun out without fade or change color?

Last edited by TL05; 05-28-05 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 348 Old 05-28-05, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL05
Anyone has recommendations for tinter the Tampa/St.Pete area?

Also, Iím getting a white 05TL no NAV, what are some good film to keep heat and sun out without fade or change color?

huper optik or formulaone pinnacle (these are ceramics). these cost the most but perform the best, no navi issues either.

i dont know any dealers but the formulaone website has dealer locator. huper optik website kinda sucks, but you can call them for a reference.
post #78 of 348 Old 05-28-05, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura_Kid
i dont have navi, but apparently it's located in the rear deck.

Llumar has several lines of films, but none are ceramic. they are either dyed, dyed/metal combo, or just metal.
http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/car-styler.html

metallized films will affect your navi to some degree.
AK, please call Greg at Alta Mere (405-692-2794) on Tuesday morning and enlighten him on the rear 1/4 window. We went round and round on the shitty job his shop did on Friday and he swears it can't be done edge to edge so he needs some coaching. The front edge looks great, the rear edge looks like a teenager did it. The film (LLumar Solargenics?) was cut off a computer program so it needs to be handcut, but he doesn't think it can be done. It really worried me when he told me he's done a bunch of them with no problems and they all look like that. The back window looks great and the Llumar film doesn't seem to affect the nav or radio at all. One way or another it will be right whether he takes this crap off and redoes it or I take it somewhere else.

post #79 of 348 Old 05-28-05, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Shirt
AK, please call Greg at Alta Mere (405-692-2794) on Tuesday morning and enlighten him on the rear 1/4 window. We went round and round on the shitty job his shop did on Friday and he swears it can't be done edge to edge so he needs some coaching. The front edge looks great, the rear edge looks like a teenager did it. The film (LLumar Solargenics?) was cut off a computer program so it needs to be handcut, but he doesn't think it can be done. It really worried me when he told me he's done a bunch of them with no problems and they all look like that. The back window looks great and the Llumar film doesn't seem to affect the nav or radio at all. One way or another it will be right whether he takes this crap off and redoes it or I take it somewhere else.
i'll call on Tues.

my guess is, they rely on computer cuts for ease of install. did your back window film go under or around the 3rd brake light? it should go under it. just note though, removing film from the rear window is a risky task, the defroster lines can peel off during film removal. my tinter uses one of those steamer gadgets to soften the adhesive in an effort to try and save defroster lines. this is a tedious job.

AK
post #80 of 348 Old 05-28-05, 10:49 PM

Quote:
i'll call on Tues.

my guess is, they rely on computer cuts for ease of install. did your back window film go under or around the 3rd brake light? it should go under it. just note though, removing film from the rear window is a risky task, the defroster lines can peel off during film removal. my tinter uses one of those steamer gadgets to soften the adhesive in an effort to try and save defroster lines. this is a tedious job.

AK
The rear window was tinted around the brake light but the lines aren't visible at all. I didn't want the tint to lessen the brightness of the brake like anyway, so I'm good with it. It's just the 1/4 windows that sent me through the roof. I appreciate you making the call and helping me out.
post #81 of 348 Old 06-02-05, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
i'll call on Tues.

AK
i did not call yet. maybe today [thurs 6/2], work has me busy
post #82 of 348 Old 06-02-05, 07:16 AM

Quote:
i did not call yet. maybe today [thurs 6/2], work has me busy
We took it back in on Wednesday and he retinted the 1/4 windows and they look great. Now he's just hoping that the owners of the other TLs he's tinted don't find out about it. Thanks anyway!
post #83 of 348 Old 06-02-05, 08:14 PM

Quote:

if you have navi then you would want the Solargard NR True-Grey line. if non-navi get the HP line.
Why do you recomment a different type of tint film for a navi equipped TL?
post #84 of 348 Old 06-02-05, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutaia
Why do you recomment a different type of tint film for a navi equipped TL?
HP is a better film, but metallized. metallized films will screw with the navi signal. NR is non-metallized and NR True-Grey is a more stable film, some sort of extruded film process, better than normal dyed films, and it wont screw with navi signal.

Last edited by Acura_Kid; 06-02-05 at 10:04 PM.
post #85 of 348 Old 06-02-05, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Shirt
We took it back in on Wednesday and he retinted the 1/4 windows and they look great. Now he's just hoping that the owners of the other TLs he's tinted don't find out about it. Thanks anyway!
glad to hear that. post some pics when you can. i actually was not able to call... darn, i wanted to though
post #86 of 348 Old 06-17-05, 08:10 PM

Tint ???

Anybody know a shop in the chicago area that does Huper? My car is due in at the end of the month from a dealer in chicago and would like to get it tinted before I pick it up. There website is horrible and search engine yields nothing. Appreciate any info.
post #87 of 348 Old 06-21-05, 05:51 PM

Does anyone know of a good place in the NYC area who will install moleskin as well? So far, I've heard of Art of Tint, Lorenzo's, and 5 star tint in jersey. I know the first two will do a good job, but they're pricey (300-400). 5 star I heard will do a good job but I haven't found out if they're experienced with moleskin. One other question is, how does installing moleskin affect road noise? Thanks.
post #88 of 348 Old 07-12-05, 03:12 PM

Cool Tint in MA

Acura Kid...

I just spoke with a guy who will gladly do the tinting for $240 but not with Moleskin.He said he would do the moleskin but would charge $80 extra. He said that they do a lot of cars and have done many TL's. He said that they have the same problem with Mercs and Lexus and they usually cut out the wipes. I was not to happy to hear this. What is your take?

I have still not heard from anyone in Boston that has had theirs done and where they had it done. If any one is reading please reply.

post #89 of 348 Old 07-12-05, 10:33 PM

$80.00 to install moleskin is a little steep. The fact the he admitted to cutting out wipers is a huge red flag. If you cut out the wiper it will increase rattle probablity, road noise, wind noise, etc, etc. DO NOT CUT WIPERS!! He obviously likes to take the cheaper, easier road. Not a good quality in tinting.

My advice, keep looking until you find someone who does exactly what is needed. Then look at and example of his work.

I just tinted my TL a couple weekends ago. It turned out great. 18% rear and 35% front. Whole 1/4 done, and felt installed. If I remember I will post some pics.
post #90 of 348 Old 07-12-05, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Not a Moderator

Lessur,
cutting the wipes is not advisable. must be their easy way out.

keep searching around for some good place who knows what they are doing. a TL is not a Merc. or Lexus !!

AK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Shop Talk > All other Car discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in