aftermarket shocks? - Page 2 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-02, 12:12 AM

Bilstein makes shocks for the TL's but most people think they are too expensive. Good stuff however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 Old 07-10-02, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by [TL]Ridah
fine...tokico what then? specific design and type and price please!~

Tokico HP blues are like $200 a set and Illuminas adjustables are like $400 a set. A lot of shops or online stores carries them or you can try www.shox.com. I bought some Bilsteins for my 4 Runner once and they are reasonable.
post #18 of 42 Old 07-10-02, 02:25 AM
That is all.....

Send a message via AIM to evolaerok
Quote:
Originally posted by valuetl
Bilstein makes shocks for the TL's but most people think they are too expensive. Good stuff however.
my bro has blisteins for his yukon xL. Quality shit I tell yah!

post #19 of 42 Old 07-10-02, 03:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to patrick
Quote:
Originally posted by valuetl
Expensive is an understatement Mike! Who's gonna dish out that much money just for shocks!?! You gotta be rich to afford those babies!

1999 Satin Silver Acura 3.2TL
Performance Upgrades:
Blitz Short Ram Intake | Stone Racing Headers | AJR Custom Throttlebody Upgrade | UR Crank Pulley | Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok Spacers | Axle-Back Magnaflow Exhausts and Y-Pipe

Suspension and Braking Upgrades:
H&R Race Springs (stage 3) | Tokico Blue HP Shocks | SPC Rear Camber Kit | Cusco Front Lower Tie Bar | Front & Rear Rotora Slotted Rotors | Endless Type NA-M Front Brake Pads | Comptech Stainless Steel Brakelines | Endless Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Interior & Exterior Upgrades:
Acura TL Door Sills | Inspire Fog Light Switch with PIAA 912 Stealth auxilary lighting | PIAA Silicon Wipers | OEM Bodykit

2001 Starlight Silver Honda Odyssey EX
PIAA Silicon wipers
Tranny #1 replaced at 55,420 KM
post #20 of 42 Old 07-10-02, 11:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to [TL]Ridah
okay...how expensive are we talking with the bilsteins? I want adjustable shocks...(assuming its better for coilovers)...$400 for alll 4 of em? thats not bad...or does SET mean 2? Thanks
post #21 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 12:08 AM
I am no one

i thought they are around 150 each? so 600 in total for a set of 4? at least that's the price for those that are used in the gs400.

i don't know if they are adjustable though

and btw, if you want the best, still coilover is the way to go. and come to think about it. you spend 300 bucks on springs, then 500 bucks on shocks (say 125 each). then you pay around 100 to at most 200 bucks for installation. that's a grand total of 1 grand. with coilovers like tein being around the same price range, why not get coilover?

my ONLY reason for going with springs was that i didn't have money for coilover at that time, plus since the stock shocks are pretty stiff already, i decided to let them wear out before getting better ones

post #22 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 12:42 AM

hmm...i acutally have GC coilovers...got it before tein group buy was started.....now i do regret about not getting some ohte rcoilover included shock thing...so which is most comfi? bilstein? tokico adju?
post #23 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 01:44 AM

Quote:
hmm...i acutally have GC coilovers...got it before tein group buy was started.....now i do regret about not getting some ohte rcoilover included shock thing...so which is most comfi? bilstein? tokico adju?

I don't think Bilstein has shocks for the TL; at least that's the info I got from shox.com. I used to have Tokico illumina, they are adjustables with 5 settings. You need to adjust them under the hood and in the trunk. I like them and they carried a life time warranty. I never tried Koni's, so I have no comment on them.
post #24 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 02:17 AM

i like the ride so much w/HandR and stock shocks, that i might buy some new stock shocks after they wear...would this be weird or would I get a better effect if I buy koni or tokico...Shyne
post #25 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 10:51 AM

I don' tknow about stock shocks...mines horrible...I want something where IF i can go over soem kinda bump...that i wouldn't feel it too much...(kinda like stock spring and shock)...except i want it lowered and same feeling...
post #26 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 05:00 PM

I made a mistake when saying above that Bilstein shocks were expensive - I was thinking about Bilstein coilovers. Bilstein coilovers cost US $2,320 for a set (from ValueTL).

Performance Upgrades:
Blitz Short Ram Intake | Stone Racing Headers | AJR Custom Throttlebody Upgrade | UR Crank Pulley | Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok Spacers | Axle-Back Magnaflow Exhausts and Y-Pipe

H&R Race Springs (stage 3) | Tokico Blue HP Shocks | SPC Rear Camber Kit | Cusco Front Lower Tie Bar | Front & Rear Rotora Slotted Rotors | Endless Type NA-M Front Brake Pads | Comptech Stainless Steel Brakelines | Endless Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Acura TL Door Sills | Inspire Fog Light Switch with PIAA 912 Stealth auxilary lighting | PIAA Silicon Wipers | OEM Bodykit

PIAA Silicon wipers

Last edited by patrick; 07-11-02 at 05:06 PM.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I don' tknow about stock shocks...mines horrible...I want something where IF i can go over soem kinda bump...that i wouldn't feel it too much...(kinda like stock spring and shock)...except i want it lowered and same feeling...
If you don't like your stock shocks, and you want the comfy feeling, then your only choice will be coilovers. It's time to break open your piggy bank!

Performance Upgrades:

PIAA Silicon wipers
post #28 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shyne
i like the ride so much w/HandR and stock shocks, that i might buy some new stock shocks after they wear...would this be weird or would I get a better effect if I buy koni or tokico...Shyne
Shyne, the only better effect you'll get if you replace your stock shocks will be less rebound when you go over bumps, and of course better control. You gotta decide for yourself if you wanna spend the $ now or later for the better effect. Me, I'm a cheapie, so I'll get mine replaced when my shocks are blown. And that's OK too!

Performance Upgrades:

PIAA Silicon wipers
post #29 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Your only option is to get the Tein coilovers and set the shock setting to the softest setting.
post #30 of 42 Old 07-11-02, 09:02 PM

guys...what in the dayam world are you guys talking about? I HAVE a Ground Control (eibach) COILOVERS...on my car...using STOCK shocks...and the ride is too harsh...too late for teins...so what type of shock if i want it to feel like im not going over any bumps...even if i am...now...suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in