here goes another tranny thread.. - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-07, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

here goes another tranny thread..

very curious.. im in the market for the CL or the TL.. ive noticed that there are a lot of problems regarding the tranny.. but how was the tranny replaced? for free because of warranty? or you had to pay out of pocket for it? if so how much? this will be my commuter car so most likely i will be getting mine through private party with no warranty.. please chime in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-07, 01:53 PM
I am no one

if the car is under warranty the tranny is replaced with a rebuilt one for free. if it's out of warranty, some dealers do it under good will, but likely you have to pay

post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-07, 04:54 PM

October 2002

Dear 3.2TL and 3.2CL Owners:

American Honda is announcing a warranty extension for the automatic transmission on all 2000-02 3.2TLs, all 2001-02 3.2CLs, and some 2003 3.2TLs and 3.2CLs. The automatic transmission and torque converter are now covered for a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of original sale. We are providing this warranty extension because a higher than normal number of automatic transmissions in certain vehicles may have problems due to defects in material or workmanship beyond the 4-year, 50,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty.

How do I know if there is a problem with my vehicle's automatic transmission?
If you think your vehicle has a transmission problem, refer to the operating characteristics below. Understanding these characteristics can help you decide if you need to call your Acura dealer.

These characteristics are normal; they should not require you to call your Acura dealer.

Quick downshifts. The transmission has a computerized control system called grade logic. When going down a hill, even a light touch of the brake pedal can cause grade lobic to downshift to the next lower gear. Downshifting helps to slow the vehicle through engine braking.

Does not always shift through the full range of gears. This can also be caused by the grade logic system keeping the transmission in the optimum gear for different driving conditions.

Mechanical noise when selecting a forward or reverse gear. It's normal to hear a slight mechanical noise when moving the shift lever from one gear to another. This noise can sound abnormally loud if any of the windows are down and you are parked next to a wall or another vehicle.

Vehicle may not hold its position when stopped on an incline in gear (may roll backward when the brake pedal is released). This can occur on most Acura-made vehicles. It is one of the measures used to improve fuel economy.

Hard shifts before the engine warms up. By design, the transmission shifts a little harder when the engine is cold. It returns to smoother shifting when the engine warms up.

These characteristics are not normal; if you experience any of them, call your Acura dealer.

While driving, the D5 indicator on the instrument panel flashes.

D5 Indicator

An abnormally loud noise from the transmission.
Extremely slow or delayed gear engagement, upshifts, or downshifts.
Abnormal gear slippage during upshifts or downshifts.
Erratic or excessively harsh shifting.
Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) leaks.

In the next few weeks, owners of potentially affected vehicles will be sent a copy of this letter along with reimbursement instructions in case they previously paid to have the transmission repaired or replaced.

It's important to maintain your vehicle's transmission according to the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. Not maintaining the transmission properly can void the warranty coverage.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
Acura Automobile Division

post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-07, 02:01 PM

The good will at dealers is now gone from the three that I have talked to thanks to that silly class action lawsuit. You get 109K, I believe and that is it. After that, you pay.

Stevens Creek Acura was taking care of transmission problems beyond what Honda said they would. I talked to a guy that was buying an MDX for his wife and he said they replaced his 2000 TL transmission at 140K.

I won't be keeping my car past 90K. I only drive about 12 K a year. So I have time to save my lunch money.

That class action lawsuit seem to have help a lot of lawyers, 10 people, and screwed a few thousand.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-07, 03:27 PM

What class action lawsuit is that? More importantly, what was the outcome and end result?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-07, 09:38 PM
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-07, 03:19 AM

So a few people and some lawysers got the settlement and the rest of the customers got shafted?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-07, 06:57 PM
raj

transmission flush?

I had the transmission on my 2000 TL replaced under the warranty at 90K tho there were no real issues with the original one. This was done in mid 2005. Is the new transmission expected to have all the issues worked out?

Also, considering that this transmission is "sensitive" to overheating issues, when we get the fluid flushed/replaced, am i better off going to the dealership or to the mechanic that i always go to that i trust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in