Honda Recalls Some 2002 Acura TLs - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-10, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Honda Recalls Some 2002 Acura TLs

7 mins ago

DETROIT Ė Honda Motor Co. is adding more than 378,000 cars to an existing safety recall for air bag inflation problems, the company said Tuesday.

The company will replace the driver's side air bag inflator on the cars because they can deploy with too much pressure, causing the inflator to rupture and injure or kill the driver.

The recall now affects more than 822,000 vehicles, including certain 2001 and 2002 Accord sedans, Civic compacts, Odyssey minivans, CR-V small sport utility vehicles and some 2002 Acura TL sedans.

Honda said it is aware of 12 incidents linked to the problem, with 11 injuries and one death. The company said it is not aware of any problems happening after July 2009.

"However, we have concluded that we cannot be completely certain that the driver's air bag inflator in the vehicles being added to this recall at this time will perform as designed,"
Honda said in a statement.

Honda's announcement comes at a time of increased attention on automotive recalls. Though the problems are unrelated, rival Toyota Motor Corp. in the process of recalling more than 8 million cars and trucks due to faulty gas pedals. On Tuesday, Toyota said it would recall more than 440,000 of its flagship 2010 Prius hybrids due to a braking glitch.

"There is a heightened sensitivity right to anything to do with recalls," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda.

Honda originally announced the recall to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in November of 2008, involving fewer than 4,000 2001 Accords and Civics, the company said. The recall was expanded in July of 2009 to 440,000 vehicles including the 2001 and 2002 Accord and Civic, as well as certain 2002 Acura TL sedans.

Worldwide, Honda has recalled about 514,000 vehicles globally due to the airbag problem. The company said it would make issue a press release at 11 a.m. Wednesday in Tokyo (9 p.m. Tuesday EST) about how many vehicles are affected worldwide by the latest recall expansion.

Company officials said the airbag produces too much pressure that can cause the inflator to rupture, sending metal fragments toward the driver.

Honda says owners should take their vehicles to dealerships as soon as they are notified by the company in writing. Notification will begin during the month of February.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-10, 08:42 PM
**** Whore

My Mood: Bored
Send a message via AIM to 6MTUA5
That sucks

KRIS -- 1999 Acura 3.2TL-P 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5wha? View Post
I get the nut butter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdog
Hope that last batch of toilet paper I bought is industrial strength!!
post #3 of 11 Old 02-23-10, 09:46 PM

good looking... glad to know that especially i do alot of highway

post #4 of 11 Old 03-10-10, 06:40 PM

Yeah,I called last Wednesday afternoon to see if my car was on the recall list.It was.They said they'd have to order the part and they'd call me when it got in.They called me at 9 am the next morning and said they had the part in stock.I took it in that morning and they had it fixed in about half an hour.Nice work guys.Just make sure if you take yours in to remind them about entering the radio code since they have to disconnect the battery.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-08-10, 12:43 PM
Old Parts Slinger

Garage
Send a message via AIM to C25A1guy
This recall is kinda BS IMO. This has been a TSB for a long time and most of the cars that are affected by this recall has either been taken care of or are no longer on the road. Government smear campaign to make the GM stock raise.

-Dean
post #6 of 11 Old 04-08-10, 01:49 PM
Tastes minty

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by C25A1guy View Post
This recall is kinda BS IMO. This has been a TSB for a long time and most of the cars that are affected by this recall has either been taken care of or are no longer on the road. Government smear campaign to make the GM stock raise.
Well they added 378K cars to the total from the previous recall, and there are probably more 2001 and 2002 MY vehicles on the road than not. And there is no GM stock anymore. Not yet, anyway.

Matt
2005 BSM MDX w/navi
post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-10, 12:13 PM

so do you just call an acura dealer
post #8 of 11 Old 02-07-11, 12:43 PM

My Mood: Blah
So how do you tell if your car is one affected by the recall? I know that this came out about a year ago but I recently bought an 02 TL-Type S a couple months back and I'm not sure if my car was one of the ones affected and if it is if the repair has been done to my car or not, thanks for any help.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-16-11, 01:38 PM
Banned

yes, call the dealer
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-11, 01:07 AM

My 2002 TL was recalled too. I received a letter in the mail. Hopefully it can be fixed ASAP
post #11 of 11 Old 11-10-12, 10:50 AM

Good to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in