When to sell a 2000 TL? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-07, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

When to sell a 2000 TL?

Mine just turned 7 years old in March, has 90K miles, original transmission, and I have really enjoyed this car. I usually drive cars till they drop, my youngest son is the 3rd kid driving my 1994 (bought Oct. 93) Accord with 140K miles. I got a letter from Acura, my tranny will be warranted for an additional 9 months, till the end of the year. I'm thinking maybe I should let this one go by then. Then I would not have to face a tranny issue, nor do the 105K maint. bill. Aside from the expense, its a peace of mind thing. I'm getting to the point I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb which I don't mind when I'm riding around town, but bothers me when I go out of town. I planned to keep this car 12 years when I bought it, but I am just uncomfortable with it at this point. I'll retire in the next couple of years, so I won't ever have as nice a car again. I'm thinking 4 cyl. Camry LE for good combo of comfort, reliability, long lifespan, and good gas mileage, any other ideas?

I'm interested in any observations you guys and gals have. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-05-07, 07:44 PM

don't buy toyota...maybe a mazda 3/6 or some of the new cars that ford has shown would be a good choice. Mercury Milan, Ford Fusion, Lincoln XKZ lines
post #3 of 11 Old 05-09-07, 12:53 PM
I am no one

if you want reliability, go with the toyota, you can't go wrong with that. i wouldn't even think about touching domestic

post #4 of 11 Old 05-09-07, 05:28 PM

How about a 3rd gen TL. All the 2nd gen issues are supposedly resolved. I would stay with acura/honda or toyota/lexus.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-10-07, 08:23 PM

i love my 2000 tl, it's been great to me, 121000 miles, replaced transmission.

but if i had to buy a new car, it would be the lexus is350, sorry but i don't like the new design of the tl.

joe
post #6 of 11 Old 05-13-07, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all opinions. I'm leaning to keeping it and driving till it drops now. I looked at the tranny poll, and many never had a problem. Since I baby mine, maybe that's why I've done ok.

When I do get to looking at a new car, I'll look at the new TL. I've really enjoyed mine. In its price range, it was the "buy" to me. I really like the new body style, kind of ripped off from BMW. I'll do a bunch of reading when its time.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-07, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Update: stardate 195868.2985401 ship's log:

Tranny died on the way to work 7/27/07, drove to the dealer. Test drove TL and TSX, liked TL much better. I got a loaner 2007 TL. Saturday, drove Camry and Avalon, Avalon was nice but expensive. Tuesday, heard I should have timing belt done, couple of engine mounts, brake job, water pump, tensioner serviced, $1,600.

Time to buy new car, since TL would have 1 year warranty on tranny.

Tonight, I drove home a new 2007 TL. I really enjoyed the loaner .
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-07, 01:03 PM
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by finebead View Post

Tranny died on the way to work 7/27/07, drove to the dealer. Test drove TL and TSX, liked TL much better. I got a loaner 2007 TL. Saturday, drove Camry and Avalon, Avalon was nice but expensive. Tuesday, heard I should have timing belt done, couple of engine mounts, brake job, water pump, tensioner serviced, $1,600.

maybe you found your new love!

post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-07, 03:23 PM

If you want a car with good gas mileage, luxury, and reliable, I would buy a Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. I wouldn't even think about international cars because it's a gas gugler.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-13-07, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trust.motorsports View Post
If you want a car with good gas mileage, luxury, and reliable, I would buy a Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. I wouldn't even think about international cars because it's a gas gugler.

^exactly, it's what the consumer reports show as the most reliable cars although KIA and Hyundia are catchin up
post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-07, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finebead View Post

Im sorry to hear of your transmission problem. honestly with your list of To'Do's by the dealer, it seemed as though you kinda let the maintenance and care go out the window. Any car that you neglect that badly really is a setup for an expensive repair bill at some future point in time. I hope you do better care with your next car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in