extreme mod part III - AEM CAI - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
FAQ Frequently Asked Questions for all models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-02, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

extreme mod part III - AEM CAI

so, after the 6000k low beam and the upper tie bar, it's my third mod of the weekend. yeah, finally after all the delays and history, i got my aem cai and installed it during the weekend. well i kinda knew what to expect already so i wasn't too excited when i installed it. but i was wrong. when i tried it out, my jaw was on the floor

first i will talk about the installation. now after i spent like 1 hr installing the cai, i would say it's not a tough mod at all. in fact if i (an idiot in short)
can do it in 1 hr then it's quite easy. however, i found that the instructions around the forums are not that complete, and most importantly it's a bit out of date coz' i think it's a bit different for the 02-03 model. anyway i will just go through it.

first, i would suggest you take off the bumper. since taking off the bumper is nothing more than 10 to 15 mins i don't see why not, coz' it makes life so much easier for the installation. i will start from the point where i assume you have taken off teh bumper. refer to my other thread for tips, or search the forum for a much more detailed instructions.

now look from the hood, and you will see the airbox on the right side of the car (driver side). you will see two black screws on the right hand side, if you unscrew them and flip it open you will see the stock filter inside. that's how you change the filter, very easy. however this is not necessary if you wanna install the cai (but still it's something dumb that i did when i stall it )

if you look at the airbox, you will see two 10mm golden color screws, one up top and one down low. unscrew them. you won't be able to take out the screws but just loosen them.

next loosen up the tie that tie the pipe to the throttle body. at the same time, you will see two hoses that are connected to the pipe. pull them out too (just pull, nothing is tying them to the pipe).

now you can just pull the airbox straight up and it will come off. very easy. under that you wil see a plastic y-piping. you will take that off later too. now go under the car and look from the driver side. you will see the resonator. if you are facing the resonator from the side, you will see two golden screws, one on left and one on right. loosen them and now you should be able to pull the whole resonator out together with the y-piping.

now go back up and look from the hood. you will now see a very big "hole" all the way to the bottom of the car. at the same time, you will see a metal going across the front of the hole (front means towards the bumper). you NEED to unscrew the bolt and take off this metal too, otherwise you will never be able to put the cai in.

now you are good to put in the cai pipe. depending on whether you have the bypass or not it might be a bit different but the generatl idea is the same. connect the pipe to the throttle body and tie it up. connect the two hoses as well. after that go under the car and put in the filter.

finally, there is a screw that you have to put on the cai to tie it to the body of the car. it is a screw with rubber bushing. and it uses a stock hole that's already on the firewall of the car. the reason for this special screw instead of a hard screw is that when you really floor your car, your engine vibrates vigorously, and your cai should be able to move around a bit, otherwise it will be torn. and in fact, if you look back to those golden screws you loosen up early on? they are the same kind of screws, one with platick bushing.

after you screw that in, put the bumper back and welcome to the cai world

now off to performance and enjoyment. the cai won't give you a bit performance hit, maybe an extra 2-3hp so you won't even notice. however, most of us who install the cai is after the sound, and man i tell you, it's mean!!!!!!!!!!

the nice thing about the cai, to me, is that it doesn't produce any noise at all at low rpm. so if you are just cruising around relaxing, you won't even hear anything. the cai only starts the roaring when it's at high rpm, more sepcifically when the vtec kicks in. in the past, with the stock airbox / filter and the resonator, you will see a relatively high tone noise. but now you will hear a much louder low tone roaring sound. let me tell you, that's mean!!!!!!!! i have a gs400, which is v8, and i have to say the sound matches pretty well in short, the sound is awesome, and it comes only when you want it. thanks to the vtec technology

moreover, whenever you start or turn off (more noticeable) the car, you will hear a pule of hizzing sound. DO NOT panic, this is normal coz' now you don't have resonator and you hear the metal piece flipping inside the throttle body. again it's normal. and it's kinda a way to hear whether the guy next to you have cai too if he starts or turn off his car.

the look of the cai is very nice too i think. i like blue and it matches my car very well. in general i love it

without the bypass you can probably get the cai for a bit less than 200, and with the bypass, you can probably get it for around 220. btw, if you don't know what the bypass is for, just ask and either me or someone else will explain.

so after all these bull, it's time for pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

so i will here introduce the stuff that you will take OFF your car first.

this is the resonator, locates at the bottom of the car. the red arrows point the screws that you have to loosen
Attached Images

post #3 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

this is the little y-pipping i mentioned that goes betwee nthe airbox and the resonator. notice that there is a screw that screw this thing to the resonator
Attached Images

post #4 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

this is how it looks when the y-pipping is combined with teh resonator

the red arrows are the ones that connect to the body of the car, and the green arrow is the one that connects the pipe with the resonator
Attached Images

post #5 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

this is the stock airbox and the pipe that connects to the throttle body of the car.

the green arrows are what you have to remove in order to take out the airbox. the red arrows are screws that you remove to change out the filter.
Attached Images

post #6 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

this is how it looks when the airbox, y-pipe, and the resonator are connected together.
Attached Images

post #7 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

another view of the "combo"
Attached Images

post #8 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

the arrows show the screws that you have to take off to change the stock filter
Attached Images

post #9 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

the filter is taken away. now you can see the airbox (red arrow) and the throttle body (green arrow)
Attached Images

post #10 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

this is the stock filter. still pretty clean huh? almost 1 yr old with 13000 miles
Attached Images

post #11 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

ok this is the stock airbox and the arrows show the position of the stock hoses that you have to remove.
Attached Images

post #12 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

the green arrow is where the air box used to be, and the red arrows points at the throttle body
Attached Images

post #13 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

carefully positioning the cai now
Attached Images

post #14 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

here you can see all the hoses positions on the cai
Attached Images

post #15 of 32 Old 06-25-02, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

now you can see how the K&N filter will look like at the bottom of the car. don't worry, it still has clearance with the fogs
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Shop Talk > FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in