my extreme mods part I - Philips 6000K HID low beam - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
FAQ Frequently Asked Questions for all models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-02, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

my extreme mods part I - Philips 6000K HID low beam

ok so this past weekend i spent quite a lot of time on my car, and here's part 1 of what i have done, including some sort of faq.

the first mod, which has been greatly debated and i absolutely fall in love to, is the 6000K HID low beam. i have to say this is by far the best visual mods i have ever done, even better than the body kits in some sense.

the installation is actually pretty straight forward. the pessanger side is a bit easier so i will start from here. i didn't take any pics coz' it's really hard to take any good pics of those areas, so you just have to imagine a bit. behind the low beam you will see a bit circular plastic cover. get the specific screw driver from target or walmart, and unscrew the screw that fasten the cover. then turned the cover and it will come off.

after that you will see the connector at the end of the bulb. slight turn it and it will come off as well. now this is the hard part. you will see the base of the bulb, and also some sort of locking mechanism using wires. using one hand to hold the bulb, then use the second one to push on the bottom wire, this should loosen the whole wiring mechanism and the bulb will be loose. make sure you dont' drop the bulb. now take out the bulb and put in the new one. push in the wire locking mechanism again. put back the ballast connector and the plaster cover, put the screw back.

the driver side is a bit more difficult. you will need to remove the two plastic pieces behind the driver side headlight, then you SHOULD have enough space to work with. the process of changing it is the same as the pessanger side. if you don't screw up anything it should be all set. turn on your car and the headlight, and enjoy the bright white light

it shouldn't take you more than 15 mins to replace all the bulbs.

now the quality of it? to be frank i didn't take picture of my stock low beam before i changed them out, so i don't have hard proof. but trust me, it's enormous. before i changed mine, i also asked myself, how much difference could it make? coz' i think the stock ones are pretty bright and white already. but both me and my gf, after we changed the bulbs, had our mouth wide opened at the light emitted by the 6000K hid. it's pure white.

from outside, when you look at the light, you will notice that the light is a combination of blue and white. if you get osram it will be a bit purple. but from the inside, everything outside now becomes white. the car in front of you, the road, everything. it's incredible.

by theory, the 6000K emits 20% less light than the stock 4100K, but seriously i don't really notice that at all. it's still very bright and since it's so white you get a feeling it's a bit brighter than stock as well.

and i came across the best possible comparison the other night. i was cruising on the highway at night, and from a distance i saw a car with hid approaching. so i waited a bit, and i saw that it's a clk430. from the mirror it did look like that its light were bright white. so i waited until it was parallel with me, and then i looked at the ground. WOW!!!!! OMG!!!!!! the ground i illuminated was pure white, and the ground his car shined on was simply yellow!!!!!! now you see the difference?

how much? you probably can get a pair of philips for around 250 and a pair of osram for 230. i wouldn't suggest anything else other than these two brands. when it comes to lighting systems, every extra buck counts.

so what's the difference between D2R and D2S? D2R is the reflective type and the D2S is the projective type. Our car uses the D2R type. It's ok for you to put in D2S bulb in our housing, but you will need some little mod to get it fit.

here are some pics of the bulbs and stuff that i took. the pic of the car after i put on the bulbs, i will post it in another thread (for another good reason). i will put the link here afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

this is the stock D2R bulbs. the arrow shows the "blocked" area on the D2R. There is no blocked out area on the D2S.
Attached Images

post #3 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

now this is the base of the D2R bulb. the arrow point to a little knob that's only on D2R. For D2S, the knob is on the other side. That's the little mod you have to do on D2S bulb in order to make it fit in our housing.
Attached Images

post #4 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

this is the box that contained the two philips 6000K hid D2R bulbs
Attached Images

post #5 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 10:32 PM
Im the lolipop in the pic

Send a message via AIM to oSoFastFerU
Where Did you order those philips bulbs from?

2003 Night Hawk Black Acura TL Type S with Navigation
Mods:
The ULITIMATE "SPOON SOCK"
Limo tint all around
OEM Ground Effects Kit
OEM Spoiler
3A Slanted Racing Tips

Make no mistakes....I make no mistakes.........
post #6 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 10:38 PM
Acuraworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oSoFastFerU
Where Did you order those philips bulbs from?
You can get them HERE
post #7 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
I am no one

i got mine used, but yes, you can get it from autolamps or actually talk to songuko. he got contacts to get it cheaper

post #8 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 11:48 PM

You said that you needed to mod the bulb to get it in there, what did you have to do?

Mods:
Limo tint all around
OEM Ground Effects Kit
OEM Spoiler
3A Slanted Racing Tips

post #9 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
I am no one

Quote:
You said that you needed to mod the bulb to get it in there, what did you have to do?
if you get the D2R you don't have to do anything. but if you get the D2S then you have to use something like the dremel to drill a small knob on the other side as i showed in the pic

i remember people getting D2R. i don't see any reason to get D2S. my 2 cents

post #10 of 19 Old 06-25-02, 11:57 PM

O, I thought you got the D2S, Im new to this HID thing. Is one brighter than the other??? Thanks

Mods:
Limo tint all around
OEM Ground Effects Kit
OEM Spoiler
3A Slanted Racing Tips

post #11 of 19 Old 06-26-02, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

oh nonono, i got the D2R. i was just illustrating what D2S would look like

well as i showed in the pic, the D2R has that little black metal piece while D2S doesn't, so if i have to say i would say the D2S emits a bit more light. however you have to know that the metal piece is there for a reason -- reflection. it has to make sure lights go in certain direction. that's why i think the D2R might focus a bit better on our car

post #12 of 19 Old 06-26-02, 12:45 AM

Cool, thanks for all the info. Im going to upgrade my set soon, and after that, I might upgrade the fogs to HID (when I get the guts to take all that stuff apart )

Mods:
Limo tint all around
OEM Ground Effects Kit
OEM Spoiler
3A Slanted Racing Tips

post #13 of 19 Old 06-26-02, 01:18 AM
19'z or better playboy

congrats, and this is one of the best visual mods man...i love them so much...im jealous, because you got the fogs too man...damn, how much money are you spending lately...Shyne

2002 White Diamond Pearl 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation...

-Genuine Acura Body Kit
-Wood Wheel
-H&R Sport Springs
-AEM CAI
-6000K Philips Ultinon D2R
-6000K Philips 9006 fog conversion
-HKS Super Drager Axle-Back Exhaust
-Cleared Headlights
-Debadged Anus
-HyperWhites All Around
-Comptech Headers
-Comptech Sways
-19X8 Work Euroline LS +49 offset
-P235/35/ZR19 Yokohama AVS Sports
-Endless/Zeal Brake Pads F/R
-KVR Crossdrilled Rotors F/R
-Brembo 13" X-Drilled Big Brake Kit
-WW Spoiler

*Future Mods*- Comptech S.C. | I.C.E.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-26-02, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

Quote:
Cool, thanks for all the info. Im going to upgrade my set soon, and after that, I might upgrade the fogs to HID (when I get the guts to take all that stuff apart )
sure, let us know if you have other questions.

although it looks scary, but taking off the bumper isn't hard at all. plus if you dare, you can just put the ballasts right behind the fogs so you don't have to take off the bumper. but of course, higher risk of burning it if water gets on

post #15 of 19 Old 06-26-02, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
I am no one

Quote:
Originally posted by Shyne
congrats, and this is one of the best visual mods man...i love them so much...im jealous, because you got the fogs too man...damn, how much money are you spending lately...Shyne
hehe, thanks shyne. dude you should get 6000k fogs too. if your mum can get the sl500, there is no way she can't get that for you

well it's not all that expensive. say everything new, 250 bucks for 6000k hid low beam, 100 for tie bar, 200 for cai, and 500 for fogs. grand total is 1050 with 3 hrs of free labor, you got tons to enjoy about

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Shop Talk > FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in