How to remove gas tank for 1999 3.2 TL? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Do It Yourself No more whining, "I don't know how!!!!!" Suck it up and try, babies! Posts in this forum are moderated, so it may take time for your post to display.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-18, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

How to remove gas tank for 1999 3.2 TL?

Hello,

I think the gas tank in my acura is leaking. In fact, it's more than leaking: it's pouring as I pump gas at a gas station. I'm planning to replace the tank myself but it looks like a difficult job. It probably needs removing part of rear suspension unit before the tank drops. There are 2 straps supporting the tank. But removing the straps alone cannot drop the tank, can it?

I watched Youtube and saw someone replace the tank for a Honda Accord. The guy almost dismantle the rear end of the car. Do I have to do the same on my Acura?

The car has less than 100k miles on it. Kind of waste if total it. What do you guys think? I just replaced 3 wheel bearings and now the gas tank.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-18, 02:38 AM

Honda Accord is good
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-18, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_johnq View Post
Hello,

I think the gas tank in my acura is leaking. In fact, it's more than leaking: it's pouring as I pump gas at a gas station. I'm planning to replace the tank myself but it looks like a difficult job. It probably needs removing part of rear suspension unit before the tank drops. There are 2 straps supporting the tank. But removing the straps alone cannot drop the tank, can it?

I watched Youtube and saw someone replace the tank for a Honda Accord. The guy almost dismantle the rear end of the car. Do I have to do the same on my Acura?

The car has less than 100k miles on it. Kind of waste if total it. What do you guys think? I just replaced 3 wheel bearings and now the gas tank.

Thanks in advance.
Instead of removing the tank, consider patching the leak without removing the tank. This option is only viable if you have good access to the leak. If yes, let all the gas drain out of the leak. Jack up the car accordingly to get more gas to drain out of the leak. Then jack up the other way to keep any remaining gas away from the leak. Lightly sand and clean the leak area. Purchase, mix, and apply several layers of JB Weld. (I do not remember if my 99 TL had a steel or plastic tank, but there are several types of JB Weld for different materials.) If this method works, you saved yourself a lot of work removing the tank. If it does not work, now you can tackle removing the tank. I used JB Weld to patch a steel gas tank on an old pick-up, and the patch lasted the remaining life of the truck (another 8 years).
My 99 TL had 396,000 miles when I finally put her down. Never had any internal engine work (other than water pump & timing belt). I used synthetic motor oil, changing every 5,000-6,000 miles. No work done to the transmission, just changed the ATM every 30,000 miles. Just pull the ATF plug, drain, wipe off the magnetic plug, and add 3 qts of synthetic ATF. Never, never, never have the transmission flushed. She had a small front end accident and I do not have the skill to do body repair. I sold for scrap with the agreement I keep the wheels and tires. The Michelin tires had lots of tread left, and they fit on my wife's 2010 Pontiac Vibe.
Good luck on fixing the gas tank leak. I hope your 99 TL keeps going many more miles.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

post #4 of 4 Old 09-04-18, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks drpatton for your reply, which is very informative.

My situation is sort of similar to yours: the car has a front-end accident too: I was in a hurry getting out of company's parking lot and hit a post. The only damage I did was the hood was not aligned as before after closing (the slot is bigger on one side than the other).

Yes, I agree with you 100%. I'll try to fix with the tank in first, if I can find the leak and have access to it. Or take the tank down. But I'm afraid I won't be able to take it down because of the irregular shape of the tank.

I guess your pickup is an American, which will be easier to maintain. Not like the Jap's vehicles.

Thanks again.

Enjoy the rest of the week.

Morris Plains, New Jersey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Featured Forums > Do It Yourself

Tags
gas tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in