New to the TL - what should I know? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
3rd Gen TL Forum for the GV platform TL - 2004 to 2008.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-19, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Question New to the TL - what should I know?

I have the chance to jump on a 2006 TL - 6 Speed MT with the Nav System that has just over 100k miles. Car is reasonably maintained with a single owner who's a friend.

It'll replace my daily driver (97 Saturn SC2 @ 281K), so it doesn't need to be fancy, but I was just wondering what are things I should be looking for, what to expect, or scheduled maintenance that I should plan for. I'm pretty comfortable for DIY repairs, as long as it doesn't need an engine hoist. The premium gas and lower MPG alone will raise my gas costs, but it may be worth it for the decade upgrade with safety and comfort features.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-19, 07:40 PM

The premium gas can be a bit of a hit, but you get used to it. For this year, I'd watch for warn engine mounts. It's a manual transmission, so it does not have the auto transmission from hell. If it has a sunroof, make sure the drains are connected. Other than that... it's a nice heavy sedan, a 6 speed is a rarity so it's a keeper. Beware teen drivers making left turns in front of you (killed my 6 speed Maxima).

cg
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-19, 08:42 PM

My biggest concern is the water pump and timing belt. The car is low milage, but due for a change. Actually, based on age, the belt should have been done about 3-4 years ago.

If you jump a timing belt tooth or break the belt, your car is trash.

I would also be concerned abt struts and calipers, esp if you live where it snows.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-19, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all.

I've been reading up on it and it seems like a good jump for me. It does have a slightly notchy issue with 3rd gear, but other people have recommended switching the MT fluid, which seems like a decent workaround (or I can live with it, can't be worse than my current car).

The Timing Belt is probably the big to do - in your opinions, is it "pretty easy" to do with the engine in the car and hand tools? I've done alternators, starters, struts, etc - and even a clutch (probably never again). It just looks like it would take all day, but would be worth the bucks saved.

Also, how long would you say it takes to swap spark plugs and do valve adjustments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 3rd Gen TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in