Coolant temp? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Integra Forum related to the Acura Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-06, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Coolant temp?

Where's everybody's needle at? Mine stays basically exactly at the C forever. If I let it idle for 15-20 (waaaaaaaaay too long) it'll finally jump up to dead center in the middle. And when I jump in and drive around, it'll go back down to the C within minutes. On the highway it never jumps up despite going 70 or so for a while. Heat is "warm"...

In the summer I thought it was running too warm - so I flushed coolant, added some WaterWetter. I noticed that it didn't really seem like the thermostat was openining, but before replacing it I did the cap (it was a stock cap). The system does pressurize/depressurize now so that's good, and I don't appear to be burning/leaking coolant at all...

Any ideas other than thermostat? I really hope not the waterpump, but I'm going to change that + timing set soon since I have no idea if/when the previous owner did that...

FREEDOM! FOREVER!
...Alpine CDA-9847...Alpine MRP F250...Alpine 6.5 Type S rears...Alpine Type R 6.5" Component fronts...Rockford Fosgate Alphasonic 360A2...Alpine Type E 12" subwoofer...1 farad Rockford Fosgate Capacitor...lots of dynamat...|||...Custom 2.25" catback exhaust...front/rear strut bars...eBay Intake...reverse glow gauges...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-14-06, 04:39 PM
K20+ED8=Love

Send a message via AIM to Type2-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jok3r View Post
I noticed that it didn't really seem like the thermostat was openining,
It's the exact opposite. Your thermostat seems to be stuck open. The thermostats is supposed to be closed until the motor gets to a certain temp, then it opens so the coolant can circulate through the radiator and reduce temps. It seems that your thermostat isn't closing, causing your car to run cold. This is bad for your gas mileage.

An OEM thermo costs 25-30 bux, even if it's not the thermo, it's still inexpensive to replace and takes hardly no time DIY.

Get paid to surf the net!
JDM-tyte all day fo sho club member #004
"I live my life, 1 JDM part at a time."
post #3 of 12 Old 12-15-06, 06:55 AM
No Longer Here

Myn stays on the C pretty long aswell, but not no 15-20 mins, infact if i turn off the heat itl start to rise withen a few mins.. i always thought it was a good thing to keep your engine so cool but I think i am starting to notice a decrease in gas mileage, but my car sure seems quicker.. lol.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-15-06, 08:12 AM
"We got this... go home."

i run about 1/3 of the temp most of the time, it never gets to the 1/2 way mark tho, so i know my motor always runs a tad cool...

def have you thermo replaced, when my thermo broke in my truck my engine never seemed to "warm-up" right, and after i got it fixed, everything was a-ok!

"Tigers love pepper.. they hate cinnamon"

AW Fantasy Football Champ 2010AW Fantasy Football Champ 2006
post #5 of 12 Old 12-15-06, 10:09 AM
Logan

Send a message via AIM to Integraguy1995
The cooling system has been the bain of my teg's existence. I'm on the 3rd radiator and at least 6th thermostat since I bought the car 4 years ago.

Your new thermostat was probably a 'fail safe' thermostat. I only ever bought one of those. The idea is sound enough because when the thermostat fails, the engine overcools instead of overheating. Only problem was the damn thing litterally lasted 2 1/2 months before it crapped out on me. Even though yours is new-ish, I can almost guarantee it's what is causing your problem.

1995 Acura Integra: Daily driver, Auto-X
1987 FJ60: Carb, header, lots more to come IH8Mud
post #6 of 12 Old 12-15-06, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Hm... I was thinking perhaps thermo but the fact that the system actually pressurizes leads me otherwise...

Oh, and it turns out that I am leaking!!!! I can't for the life of me see from where - but the radiator is still full and my resivior is right between min and max...

The only "promising" spot I could find for the leakage (only seems to occur when car is hot...) is a really strange looking T connecter with 3 hoses going to it. Its mounted pretty much directly below the intake manifold, near the firewall and pretty much the bottom of the car - if that makes sense. I had to snake my arm and LED light behind it all to see it - and its wet, but I didn't see any spray or steam or anything, so I'm not even sure if those 2 are coolant lines...

Any further help would be kickass - and I'll be changing the thermo soon just because it'd be dumb not to.

FREEDOM! FOREVER!
...Alpine CDA-9847...Alpine MRP F250...Alpine 6.5 Type S rears...Alpine Type R 6.5" Component fronts...Rockford Fosgate Alphasonic 360A2...Alpine Type E 12" subwoofer...1 farad Rockford Fosgate Capacitor...lots of dynamat...|||...Custom 2.25" catback exhaust...front/rear strut bars...eBay Intake...reverse glow gauges...
post #7 of 12 Old 12-15-06, 04:42 PM
K20+ED8=Love

Send a message via AIM to Type2-L
Coolant does pass through your intake manifold.....investigate that leak some more.

Get paid to surf the net!
JDM-tyte all day fo sho club member #004
"I live my life, 1 JDM part at a time."
post #8 of 12 Old 01-02-07, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Just for history's sake - I changed the thermostat and wouldn't ya know it, the teg is now able to heat up! The needle is about a needle's width below half, and the heat blows nice and toasty - and holds its temp on the highway instead of falling off to dead cold.

Thanks for the advice, turns out we were all thinking the same thing on this one.

FREEDOM! FOREVER!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-07, 04:36 PM
No Longer Here

Im pretty sure i need to change myn too, how do you do it jokr? Is it hard?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-02-07, 10:08 PM
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru

Send a message via AIM to Acura2g
nvm

CARS:
Sold & Crushed:
90' Integra 4-Dr LS | 92' Integra 2-Dr GS | 95 Legend Type-II | 95 Legend LS |99 3.2 TL

Current:

2007 Honda Pilot LX97' 3.0L CL (My Girl's Car)

Cobra Radar Detector XRS-9330
Ipod Installed
Clarion NX 500 with Backup Camera

OEM Fog Lights

Clear Bumper Signals
post #11 of 12 Old 01-03-07, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I have a B18A1 and actually took a few pics of most of the process. Its basic and if there aren't any writeups here then let me know and I'll make one or something.

FREEDOM! FOREVER!
post #12 of 12 Old 04-19-14, 09:44 PM

Blasted Temp Guage - Thermostat

Well, it seems my problems are normal for these Tegs.

I started to have over heating issues. I took it to my mechanic and they said the fans werent working. They fixed it. Overheat again, and they plug or switch for the fans were faulty. Fixed.

Then had problems and the radiator needed replaced.

Overheating started happening again. They said it was really low on antifreeze. So I have to put it in every week. I can't figure out where the leak is at all. They can't find it either. They said it holds compression, then I took it again, and they said there is a small loss.

The antifreeze is also backing into the resevoir but not going back into the radiator. So I just keep pouring it back in.

HERE IS WHERE I AM AT NOW.

I replaced the thermostat. Now the temp gauge stays normal when idling the air is hot. While driving it drops to C and the air is cool to warm.

I talked to the guy at the autopart store and he said it must be the temp guage. I talked to a different guy and he said there must be air in the line.

So I put my car on a nice incline, took the radiator cap off, added the antifreeze from resevoir, ran it for 45 minutes with the heat on high. This was supposed to get the air out.

So I still have the same problems.

I'm about to take my car to the dealership to get this problem fixed. If anyone knows what the deal is, they should be able to fix it.

The Thermostat is a bit of a pain in the ass to get off and back on because of its location, or I would just take it off, test it in hot water to see if it opens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > Integra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in