Acura World banner

main relay???

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jok3r 
#1 ·
I also posted an ad in the wanted to buy, but wasn't sure if people check that one much...

I'm looking for a main relay, new/used (repaired but working) or just the part number so I can price it out at the parts stores...

When I bought my car the seller claimed it has the wrong computer chip that doesn't always place voltage on the terminal to kick the fuel pump on, so it would randomly shut off or not start etc.

Their fix to it wasn't fully explained, but I've got a switch on my dash with just 2 terminals on it. One goes straight back to the fuel pump itself and ties into one of the wires there, the other one taps into a harness on the driver side, under the hood right by the brake booster.

I usually have to flip the switch down for the fuel pump to kick on (it only can be on with car on, so thats good I suppose). If I turn the car off and remove my key, the radio and such turns off but the engine still runs completely normally...so I have to turn the switch to the UP position.

The other day I left it up and was able to drive around for a while. And a few days before that, my car decided to die 4 times on the highway, just *poof* tach drops to zero. Radio and everything stays on uninterrupted...just no engine.

Think it was actually the main relay that broke, and they used this little switch as a cheap fix? Everything else about the car was fixed cheaply so I wouldn't be surprised...just would like the car to work the way it should and not worry about puttering out randomly.....

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.