Need some guidance replacing alternator - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Integra Forum related to the Acura Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-03, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Need some guidance replacing alternator

Hey guys,

I need to replace an alternator in 89 Integra. Bought Haynes(sp?) manual for it. The book says that all I have to do is remove 2 bolts, remove the belt (I have no belt already), and pull it out. Then by the way, it says you need to remove left driveaxle (ch.10). So I skip to that chapter and it has step-by-step instructions how to remove the driveaxle, and btw you need to disconnect lower control arm and tie rod connection (ch.11). So next I skip to chapter 11 and find tie rod connection, no problems there, seams easy enough. Now for lower control arms (the fun part). Find the section and all it says is "The procedure is beyond the scope of this manual due to special tools required, which home mechanic will typically not have. Car should be taken to a professional shop"

So now I am considering my next options. I am definitely doing the car myself. I am doing this more for my hobby than to get it running, although with the gas prices lately I want to make it my daily driver.

I could by the original shop manual for the dealer. I have one of those for my camaro and my trailblazer, but those typically cost more than 100 bucks.

Or I could ask someone here who has done this kinda thing in the past. Basically I need to disconnect (and reconnect later) lower control arm. Book has no info. Any of you guys can give me some hints?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-03, 01:40 AM

Re: Need some guidance replacing alternator

ok I have done this befor and all I had to do was remove the oil filter then pull the altenator out the back side of the engine. Its kinda tricky but it works alot better then pulling an axel.

Last edited by JeDPhelps; 09-26-03 at 01:47 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-03, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

You know, I was actually thinking of that. But I got stuck because I couldn't get the through-bolt out (the one on the bottom). I tried everything I could think of and the thing just don't want to come out. The only idea I have right now is to use a C-clamp, put it against the end of the bolt and force it out that way.

Unfortunately there is no room for the C-clamp unless the axle comes out. I didn't get far with that idea because I didn't have a ball joint separator and it was close to 12am. So the suspension for the most part is still in one piece.

You wouldn't have a hint on how to take the freakin' bolt out? Like I said I've tried everything I could think of. Even found a piece of 2X4, put it against the bolt and used a 3lb hammer. The thing just don't want to move.

In any case, thanks for the reply.

-- Dennis

post #4 of 4 Old 09-27-03, 02:11 AM

Yeah I had a problem with that at first too but I worked at in and it came out. So all I can say is good luck man.

--Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > Integra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in