Starting/Electrical Issue - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Integra Forum related to the Acura Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-19, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Starting/Electrical Issue

Briefly, I was driving at night and suddenly the lights went dim and lost most power from the engine. After that, it wouldn't crank, no lights, no horn etc. If I jump the starter to the battery and spray fuel in the intake, it will run just fine. But when I stop spraying fuel, it dies. I have replaced the ignition switch with no improvements. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a 1992 Acura Integra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-24-19, 08:45 PM

I suspect your fuel pump died. It is in the fuel tank. Not a home gamer project.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-25-19, 11:27 PM

OP - we need more information

I'll admit astrobuf probably knows more about Acuras than I do, but I'm going to challenge him on this one. Granted maybe the OP didn't explain clearly but " it wouldn't crank, no lights, no horn " has nothing to do with a fuel pump issue. He jumps the car and it will crank (I'm dubious about squirting stuff into the intake). Sounds like electrical - alternator failed and running off the battery finally killed it.

OP - I have no idea about why you would change the ignition switch. The car cranked just fine with a jump. At 28 years of age, I suppose you could have had multiple failures at the same time, but it's unlikely. You need to provide more information and only change one thing at a time as you debug.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-19, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

The reason I changed the ignition switch was because I watched a video after doing a search about my problem and they suspected that it could be the culprit. It did settle down other noises and erratic blinking lights, but didn't solve the whole issue. In my first post I said that I jumped the starter to the battery to crank it over with fuel in the intake. I didn't do it with the key. In other words, a wire from the solenoid on the starter to the positive battery post. (No power to the solenoid) The alternator is fine. Battery with car not running is 12.74. While running it's 14.65. I've only replaced the switch so far. Lights, wipers, radio, nothing electrical works. Just some dash lights come on. Wish I had something else to add to the description.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-31-19, 04:14 AM

I do think your fuel pump didn't work. Some info about fuel pump can be gained in Civic malaysia.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-01-20, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I very much appreciate your input, and there might be something to that, but I don't think a faulty fuel pump is going to cause my near total lack of power to the rest of the car. I've been trying to locate the starter sensor. From 3 different sources I've been told that it's under the dash to the LEFT of the console, to the Right of it, and in the big 1992 Integra big book on everything about the car, they show a diagram and arrow pointing to the sensor on the firewall a little right of center. Nothing that resembles a sensor there. Can anyone tell me where I might find this little critter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > Integra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in