Suspension for Noobs! - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Integra Forum related to the Acura Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-08, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
What is Hip?

Suspension for Noobs!

Hey guys/gals,

My ride is pretty rough, and I was looking to upgrade/replace some or all of the suspension components. I am a complete noob when it comes to suspension, so I have no clue what components make up the suspension on 2nd gen integras. Anybody want to do a quick run down of the suspension components and their functions, or even better, does anyone know a good site I can find all of this info?

-Thanks-

Last edited by m0nst3r; 07-28-08 at 05:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-08, 02:12 PM
Opinionated

replacing every single suspension component will cost you a lot of money, especially if you're you doing it on all four corners. i assume you'll want coilovers which will run close to $1000. control arms and bushing and brackets will cost anywhere from $200-300 in junk yard costs up to $2000 from the dealership. Then if you have to pay to have all the work done you'll be looking at about 10ish hours of labor for it all so tack on 650-850 bucks.

my advice....see what NEEDS to be replaced and take care of that. I'll bet your control and/or trailing arm bushings are either blown or rotted unless they've been replaced before

a nice new net of OE shocks and struts should be all you need to smoothen out that rough ride

There's no such thing as a stupid question; just stupid people asking questions.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-08, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
What is Hip?

Yea, with all the stuff you just described, it's like you spoke to me in a completely different language.

Shocks, struts, control arms, trailing arms...huh? I thought shocks and struts were the same thing. You know any websites that explain all this stuff?

Also, I'm sure replacing all this stuff is expensive, but this thread was more for my general knowledge. :p

post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-08, 07:30 PM
Opinionated

shocks are on top...struts are on the bottom. pickups are more likely to have struts. the strut/shock thing confuses me sometimes

this is a coilover, they allow you to adjust your ride height in about 10 minutes to a half hour depending on whether you have air tools or hand tools

a trailing arm holds your hub assembly and wheel and they go in the rear, i just replace both of these on mine and they are damn expensive

control arms are a dime a dozen, many places make them and they are relatively inexpesive. the upper/lower arm's can be found all over the net. i'm sure the guys here can help you find good parts.

bushings are what allow your arms to have a degree of flex because obviously without flexibility your ride would be far from comfortable. the bushings also mean you don't have to replace the entire control arm, just a bushing. bushing kits can cost as low as 25 bucks, or go all the way up to 200.

There's no such thing as a stupid question; just stupid people asking questions.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-28-08, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
What is Hip?

Cool thanks!

You sure about the struts/shocks thing? I was reading somewhere that integras have double wishbone suspensions, which would explain the upper and lower control arms, but then I saw mention of a "MacPherson strut," which kind of confused me. Man, this seems pretty complicated.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-08, 11:23 PM
just call me moe

Send a message via MSN to rewsintegra
honda has their own little version of the mc P strut setup.

i am pretty sure you can get a nice full coil setup for about 300-1000 bucks.
but if you plan on lowering the ride height you will need adjustable camber. so go with some upper control arms (150-200). a good upgrade is a thicker rear sway bar such as the type r. it tightens up the rear alot around corners.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-08, 03:50 AM
Opinionated

if you don't get adjustable camber after lowering your car, you can't properly align the wheels which will make your tires wear horribly fast and the worst part is that the wear happens on the inner edge of the tire 99% of the time where you can't see which is why people have blow-outs and no idea how it happened. you're tread looks fine but that little weak spot on the inner edge lets loose. here's a pic to ad to the horrible paragraph i just wrote. the right side is the inner portion of the tire

If you want to lower your car, make sure you do it right. the guys here can guide you if you ever aren't sure about something, that rews guy knows a thing or two about a thing or two

Last edited by vortex; 07-29-08 at 03:53 AM. Reason: stuff
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-08, 04:12 PM

i heard that you only need to adjust for negative camber after a drop exceeding 1.5 inches is that true? i also heard that aftermarket lower control arms can correct negative camber, please enlighten me
post #9 of 14 Old 08-13-08, 07:08 PM

yes, over 1.5 you should get adjustable uppers, in order for the LCA to compensate for negative camber it would have to be made specifically for your car and the camber angle it has unless it is adjustable, which I've never heard of, but could exist.

Thanks tegger!

I like my cars like I like my women, small and maneuverable.

Don't bring show to a go fight.

Type-R Swap (Legal!!!!)
Type-R Tranny
Moroso 5qt Oil Pan
K&N Filter
Exedy Street Disc & ACT HD pressure plate
SR Motorsports 9.5lb Flywheel
Skunk 2 Front Upper Control Arms
Tien Flex Coil-Overs
Carbing Type 2 Front Strut Tower Brace
Password JDM 4pt Rear Strut Tower Brace
ASR 32mm Hollow Rear Sway Bar
ASR Lower Tie Brace
G-Stop stainless brake lines
Hawk Pads
15" Gunmetal Rota Torques
16" Gold Rota Boosts with Falken 615's for Autox
Buddy Club short shifter
USDM ITR Front and Rear Seats
ITR Lip and Side Skirts
post #10 of 14 Old 08-13-08, 07:13 PM
Old Parts Slinger

Garage
Send a message via AIM to C25A1guy
Chevy and GMC trucks have adjustable camber from the factory. Too bad it always go out of spec after driving 50 miles by in part due to design.

-Dean
post #11 of 14 Old 08-14-08, 04:41 AM

you do not need a camber kit, dont waste your money. Toe wears out tires, not camber

look at the amount of camber track cars are running, such as mine. Im close to -2 degrees of camber and the only uneven tire wear ill get is from poor toe alignment. Camber wear is a myth and only effects wear if toe is off.

save your money for quality parts that are necessary, check if the RTA bushings are bad, and replace your shocks and springs with something that fits your needs. if you dont need a piece of shit coilover setup made in taiwan, dont get it. if you do need coilovers, get groundcontrol/koni
post #12 of 14 Old 08-14-08, 09:50 AM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Send a message via AIM to S2K2K4 Send a message via Yahoo to S2K2K4 Send a message via Skype™ to S2K2K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
you do not need a camber kit, dont waste your money. Toe wears out tires, not camber

look at the amount of camber track cars are running, such as mine. Im close to -2 degrees of camber and the only uneven tire wear ill get is from poor toe alignment. Camber wear is a myth and only effects wear if toe is off.

save your money for quality parts that are necessary, check if the RTA bushings are bad, and replace your shocks and springs with something that fits your needs. if you dont need a piece of shit coilover setup made in taiwan, dont get it. if you do need coilovers, get groundcontrol/koni
Have to disagree with you there. Track cars run negative camber to increase the traction patch while doing hard cornering. Driving daily the won't exert enough force on the tire usually to roll it over onto the traction patch. For example a horrible asci picture.

0.0 degrees camber |__| |__|
0.0 degrees camber when turning hard /__/ /__/
you can see how the weight of the car would be mostly on the right shoulder of the tire and the traction patch would be reduced therefore. A track car running negative camber would look like this
/__/ \__\

When cornering hard it would look like this (left turn for example

|__| \__\

See how the traction patch is increased on the inside tire when the sidewall flex starts to kick in? A street driven car with negative camber would spend most of its time driving on the inside sidewalls like this /__/ \__\ because most people don't take corners that aggressively and therefore don't 'roll' the tire onto the traction patch. Especially while driving in a straight line, all the weight of the car is put on the inside shoulder of the tire.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most professional race teams use one or two sets of tires each race. They aren't shooting for 15000+ miles on a set of tires. Because camber wear is less aggressive than toe wear it shows up later.

- Used to be an alignment tech, seen this many times.

Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-27-08, 04:27 AM

Well I've learned something new today I had the same kind of question.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-27-08, 10:55 AM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Send a message via AIM to S2K2K4 Send a message via Yahoo to S2K2K4 Send a message via Skype™ to S2K2K4
We try to help.

Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > Integra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in