04 MDX AC issues - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
MDX Forum related to the Acura MDX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-19, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

04 MDX AC issues

All, this is my first post so apologies if I'm asking similar questions. Anyways I have a 2004 MDX and the clutch went out of my AC unit. I replaced the reciever/drier and put a different compressor on it (at the time i wasn't sure it was just the clutch that was out since it was sorta spinning). I hooked everything back up, ran a vacuum on it for approximately 2 hours as well as made sure it didn't show any leaks by the low pressure side of the gauges not showing any change in pressure, then recharged with oil and freon. The AC worked great that day and the next day then the third day....NOTHING! I checked the unit and the clutch in this compressor is not engaging. Just to determine if it was the clutch I hot wired it just to see if it would engage and it did. Now I'm kinda at a loss of the problem, I have checked both fuses and the relay and none are blown. My current voltage tester is broke so I plan on buying another voltage tester and re renting the AC gauges to test pressure again. Just wanted to get this question out there to see if there is something I am over looking. To test the pressure with gauges to see if it has leaked I have heard to do it both ways, with vehicle off and with it on. I'm lost on the correct way since the clutch isn't engaging. I'm hoping its just something electrical but at this point and my luck i'm fearing the worst . Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-23-19, 07:05 PM

The clutch is not engaging because pressure in the system has dropped below the trigger point. This has happened because you have a system leak. My guess is the leak is at the rear evaporator. This is a common problem for Odyssey/Pilot/MDX's of this vintage. This is an expensive and complicated repair. Some folks resort to installing a cutoff plate which caps freon that would be routed to the rear evaporator. I advise you not do this and fix it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury SUV > MDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in