2011 MDX OIl bad consumption! - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
MDX Forum related to the Acura MDX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-19, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

2011 MDX OIl bad consumption!

I have a 2011 Acura MDX with 66,000 miles eating oil like crazy.

about 60% of my oil life got a notice on my dash of low oil had it changed immediately turned out there was about 1 qt left.

After that incident I read up on it and noticed that Acura has extended the warranty and they do oil consumption test to see how much oil it is eating.

They do a 3 visit 1000 mi test, first test after 1000 mi they said it only consumed 0.5 qt oil I know it was not true because before i took it in looked at the dipstick and there was no oil on it.

Before the second 1000 mi test i looked at the dipstick and there was no oil on it again, so i took it to another car shop and had them drain and measure the oil and pour it back without adding any, turned out it was 2.75 qt left, right after went to Acura and they said only 0.75 qt was missing. I told them about the independent shop that they drained it and measured it and gave me a piece of paper saying how much oil was left they kept repeating that only 0.75 Qt needed.

They told me Acura will only pay for the rebuild if it consume more than 1 qt in 1000 miles.

What do you guys think what i should do!?

I been watching this guy on You Tube Scotty Kilmer he is saying that no amount of oil being burned by the engine is acceptable he has 50yrs of experience as a mechanic.

I can't drive my car on 1 oil change because about 50% of oil life i left with not much oil and Acura don't care to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-19, 09:01 AM

Honda went to very low tension rings around 2008. There is a problem with oil consumption on some of their V6's of this era. It seems to have something to do with care level. As you are not the original owner it is probable the prior owner used low grade oil and/or extended change intervals. Shmoo on the ring lands can lead to increased oil consumption.

Use a premium synthetic for a year and see if it will clean things up and improve oil consumption. Check your dipstick monthly and add oil. I doubt Honda is gonna rebuild your engine.

These engines are also know to have an issue with a gasket leak on the cvcc hydraulic shuttle valve. Look and see if your consumption is a leak rather than a burn.

Check and replace your plugs as if it is a compression ring leak, the plugs will foul faster than the 100K change interval
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-19, 09:41 PM

Well, we know there is something going on. You need to find out if its a leak or blowby. A leak usually can be fixed and maybe the other might be able to be helped. I believe you can rent a compression tester at Autozone for free if needed. If your car is eating that much oil i would think it would be fairly obvious and smell lovely too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury SUV > MDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in