MDX or RDX? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
MDX Forum related to the Acura MDX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

MDX or RDX?

Is the MDX really that much better than the RDX? I'm a big fan of the
MDX but I'd like to downsize and I haven't heard much great about the
RDX. How do the two compare and which would you choose? Here are the
two cars I'm considering: Is the MDX really that much better than the RDX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-06-08, 06:59 PM
Banned

First off, on behalf of the staff here, To Acura World!!

Your question poses a interesting comparison. I really don't think the quality differs that much at all. The only real difference is the size, and if you are willing to give up the extra room, then by all means the RDX is a great choice.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-13-08, 03:03 PM

this is a question I am struggling with. it appears that the mdx gets better mileage and has more presence than the rdx. I want to test drive one to see if I can tolerate the ride. it absurd that there is no keyless entry or keyless start though for a vehicle of this standing.

no neon. no pin stripes. no coffee can muffler. no dubs. thank you.

Last edited by OneOfOne; 06-16-08 at 04:29 AM.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-15-08, 10:36 PM

My Mood: Amazed
Just keep this in mind - Honda Pilot - Honda CRV; Acura MDX-Acura RDX. It just comes dow to size and money. What is the preceived cost to the value received?

I own a 2006 Pilot and 2006 MDX is there a real $8,000.00 difference between the two? I can state a definite yes. The quality of the materials used in the Acura easily beats the Pilot. The sound system - yes. Again its all subjective.

Test out both vehicles. Weigh the pros and cons and then decide. I think either way you cannot go wrong.

Good luck
OEM Bob

Both Vehicles have:
OEM GPS Navigation
OEM Mud Flaps
OEM Side Window Visors
OEM Fogs
OEM Cargo Net
OEM All Season Rubber Floor Mats
OEM Trunk Liner
OEM Black Side Steps
OEM Hood Deflector
OEM Rear Color Camera
And the bauble head dog on the dash whose head moves when you stop the truck.
Just checking to see if you're awake!

Fomer Owner of:
93 Legend LS, 93 Integra, 96 Integra, 97 3.2TL, 2000 RL w/Navi, 2003 Odyssey EXL w/Navi , 2004 TSX w/Navi, 2006 Honda Pilot w/Navi
post #5 of 16 Old 06-16-08, 05:46 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

First off Welcome!

Now down to the topic and quesitons asked! I own BOTH vehicles! An 07 RDX Tech and an 07 MDX Sport/Entertainment.

MDX Fit and finish, quality are FAR superior to the RDX! RDX is sub Honda materials, where the MDX is WAY better quality. For example, the plastic interior parts in the RDX are hard like a rock whereas the MDX is SOFT to the touch, much like my 04 RL which is BETTER than both these vehicles! RDX has a stiff ride whereas the MDX is refined, esp. the "sport" model which is has the "Active Damper Suspension" exclusive to the Sport model so you have the BEST of both worlds (sport mode or comfy mode). Tech and base model has basic suspension....
RDX is loud, FAST and get LOUSY gas mileage. Infact I get better gas mileage with the MDX.
Its a no brainer, HANDS DOWN TO THE MDX! Ask someone who OWNS them before forking out all the bucks with folks here that are clueless.....Side by side comparisons can be viewed by "searching" on FABVSIX's previous postings!
No pun intended!

2007 Acura MDX Sport Blk/Ebony
2007 Acura RDX Tech White/Ebony

2004 Acura RL Navi Black/Ebony Delivery date: 06/19/04 Full Mask, MoonVisor, Trunk Mat, wheel locks, Replaced all bulbs, interior/exterior with PIAA bulbs, otherwise pure stock.

Converted to Zaino on 06-18-2001
post #6 of 16 Old 06-17-08, 02:25 PM
The boy and Barclay

My Mood: Cheerful

2002 TL-S, SSM on black, spoiler, stock
278xxx kilometres
2nd tranny (still) on last legs

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act" George Orwell
post #7 of 16 Old 06-17-08, 05:09 PM

I have an 08 MDX with technology with 11K miles, but was given an RDX as a loaner once. The fit and finish in the RDX is doesn't hold a candle to the MDX, but I found the ride to be a blast! The turbo really makes it fun to drive, but I just couldn't get over the interior. I thought I was riding in a Nissan Maxima! Also, it is a point well taken about the mileage it gets b/c of the turbo. MDX is more of a touring vehicle, more supple, refined, and deliberate. The 300 hp 6-cylinder is more than adequate, and I find the brakes and turning to be what I would expect in a sport sedan. All in all, I would take the MDX any day of the week, but it really comes down to what you're looking for in the car (and the extra 7 or 8K!).
post #8 of 16 Old 03-27-09, 09:52 PM

i just got rid of my 2007 RDX. my wife and i spent the last year pretending we really liked it... but we just traded it in for a 2006 MDX. the "reason" we got rid of it was that we just had a baby and we needed a bigger car because the RDX just didnt have enough room for all the baby things and our suitcases for a weekend trip. in all honesty we probably couldve lived with the size of the RDX if we liked it better, but its as good of an excuse as any to get a new car. the thing we really didnt like about the RDX was the VERY stiff ride. its fun to drive a sporty vehicle but driving over any kind of rough pavement felt like i was bouncing along the road in a corvette rather then in a luxury SUV. the price of the RDX is surprisingly high to me (in the used car market at least) the MDX is only a little more then the RDX and it seems like you get a lot more car. its bigger, more comfy, better gas mileage.....not that there arent things im going to miss about the RDX. the power / pickup in the RDX is amazing to me for being a 4000 pound car with only a 4 cylinder engine. the breaking, the cornering, there are times when it really does feel like a sports car. a lot of people talk about the RDX as if it were just a smaller version of the MDX which isnt really true. the 2 cars are very different. if youre going out to cruise around for a few hours on a nice stretch of highway the RDX is a blast to drive. if youre on a real long road trip or stuck in traffic or driving through the crap ass streets in manhattan the RDX is a little tough to take.
thats my opinion anyway.....
post #9 of 16 Old 04-05-09, 01:13 PM

It really does boil down to size and budget. The RDX is more sporty and the MDX is really the mack daddy.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-05-09, 01:28 PM
Banned

If I had about $10K more to spend on a car last summer, it would have been an MDX all the way over the Pilot. Still, I can't complain and these are definitely rock solid suvs.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-18-16, 01:11 PM

We had a '13 Rdx and loved it. Got 30.8 hwy, 26 town. Wasn't comfortable for my husband to get his legs to straighten out. Also pretty packed when traveling with pets. Also if we would have known then the AWD system is same as CRV. Traded in for 2015 MDx and it's very comfortable and has the Sh-AWd like my 2013 Tl. Love it so far. Didn't want the 2016 because of the new 9 speed tran and they did something to the Sh-Awd. Not the same as 3rd gen MDX's 2014 2015 nor my 13 Tl. Something to think about.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-25-16, 04:48 AM

I would definitely go for the MDX. I've only had mine for less that two months and I love everything about it.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-01-16, 11:34 PM

I bought both the RDX and MDX 2016 on the same day. RDX for me and MDX for the wife. We got the AWD Tech package for both. I love both cars. You really can't go wrong with either. If you have the extra money and want the 3rd row seating go with the MDX. If you are on a budget and you're looking for better MPG go with the RDX. They both drive fairly similar and they both have basically the same features. I love both of my cars.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-21-18, 04:11 PM
MadisonSean

Send a message via AIM to srandel Send a message via MSN to srandel Send a message via Yahoo to srandel
I think it really depends what years your looking at. The rdx has changed a lot since it's turbo days. I drove one yesterday (a 2016 advance pkg) for a loaner and I hated the way the seat felt. IMO my 10 tsx and my 13 mdx are WAY nicer and more comfortable. Some of the newest mdxs though have that 10 speed transmission, and I don't like the way that feels either.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-14-19, 10:23 AM

MDX or RDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurascientist View Post
Is the MDX really that much better than the RDX?

Yes and no.

As a 2017 RDX Tech owner, Until the 2019 RDX model, I would say MDX (outside of the obvious size differences) has been the better buy...but barely.

The 2016-2018 RDX interiors, drive, for are all on par with the MDX but also have a sportier drive. The Tech packages in the RDX 16-18s have been long-in-the- tooth with aged infotainment features, and especially the NAV which is terrible given the age of CarPlay.

The 2019 RDX has changed that with the NSX inspired cabin and additional trim options, and finally added CarPlay. The 2019 RDXs also finally got rid of the ugly Avengers like front grill and replaced with the same front as the MDX (as well as the other models in the Acura line).

That said, the only thing I donít like about the 2019 RDX is that they donít offer a V6 Vtec option (just to have the option on the freeways to go down to 3 cyl would offer gas mileage and I suspect also improve engine longevity).. Until this is resolved, 2016-2018 RDXs were the last to have stock V6s.

I know people swear the V4 Turbos in the 2019 RDX are good performers, but I still would like to have the option.

Interestingly enough the new Honda 2019 Passports (think middle class tier like the Ford Edge) are essentially RDXs without the exterior styling of an Acura and fit of the NSX inspired cabin, but they do offer a V6 option and also finally CarPlay.

So hopefully the 2020 RDXs may bring back at least a V6 option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by d_anders; 02-14-19 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury SUV > MDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in