Brake Conversion DIY - Page 2 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
2nd Gen Legend Model year 1991-1995 Acura Legend, Coupe and Sedan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-05, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnach
Ooh good, exciting stuff.. time to continue to search for the NSX calipers.
Where do you plan to find these NSX calipers?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gride_Cruiser
Where do you plan to find these NSX calipers?

Thanks
They come up from time to time on NSX forums, specifically NSX prime. I have seen low mileage examples for $300 or so the pair. That's what I'm hoping at least.
post #18 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 01:29 AM

www.car-part.com

and just saying, calipers dont go bad, all else fails you can get a rebuild kit for a couple bucks at an auto parts store.

post #19 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 03:41 AM

I like the type 2 coupe idea alot better then the nsx idea, just for price sake, just a stab in the dark but I assume the front and rear type 2 coupe calipers and rotors are interchangeable? or is it just the fronts? for all the sedan guys thas gotta be the best solution for braking, drilled rotors with the type 2 calipers, and some stainless brake lines. the big brake kits are nice, but let's face it they are more practical for someone with a huge pocketbook or someone more into racing, I just want sporty streetability, the nsx option although appealing, is just too expensive, parts in general for an nsx make maintanence on our legends seem cheap.
post #20 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS92Sedan
I like the type 2 coupe idea alot better then the nsx idea, just for price sake, just a stab in the dark but I assume the front and rear type 2 coupe calipers and rotors are interchangeable? or is it just the fronts? for all the sedan guys thas gotta be the best solution for braking, drilled rotors with the type 2 calipers, and some stainless brake lines. the big brake kits are nice, but let's face it they are more practical for someone with a huge pocketbook or someone more into racing, I just want sporty streetability, the nsx option although appealing, is just too expensive, parts in general for an nsx make maintanence on our legends seem cheap.
I believe all Legend models have the same rear calipers, the only difference is that the Type II engines came with dual piston calipers up front. NSX calipers are in fact identical to Legend Type II calipers for years 91 to 96 (then in 97 they went with bigger rotors and pistons). If I am correct, NSX calipers for 91-96 utilize the same size pads as the Legend Type II's. I am not sure if the pistons sizes are the same but other than that, the NSX calipers (91-96) just have a different design in shape with heat vents and the "NSX" lettering.
post #21 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 04:46 AM

you can get both NSX calipers from car-parts.com for no more than $150...

but they are exactly the same as the type 2 dual piston calipers, they just have vanes on the outer side and say NSX in white letters (caliper is black)
post #22 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJoe
you can get both NSX calipers from car-parts.com for no more than $150...

but they are exactly the same as the type 2 dual piston calipers, they just have vanes on the outer side and say NSX in white letters (caliper is black)
Damn, 150 is a very good price. I submitted a search, see if I come up w/ anything.

Last edited by Gride_Cruiser; 06-22-05 at 05:19 AM.
post #23 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 09:16 AM

Yeah, that's pretty much the only difference between the calipers. So I do not think there are any maintenence issues. Pads are different, but only if you choose to use the NSX pads (I will), but supposedly they use a better material, and they really aren't too much more expensive if you don't buy them at the dealer.
post #24 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 02:31 PM

very good info guys, I kinda figured the NSX was very similar to the Type 2, as for the rear calipers, I have read various different threads articles etc, most say exactly what you did Gride, that the NSX and Type 2 are basically the same cept for a few slight differences which you mentioned. Now as far as the balancing between front and rear, is that compromised in any way? I would assume it's not but of course I have to ask since the sedan has a different wheel base and of course is a little heavier than the coupe. I also had a question about brake fluid and our ABS systems, does anyone know if we are able to use a DOT4 Racing Blue brake fluid? It is not synthetic as far as I know and should be ok to use with the ABS system, they use this stuff in stock porches and some audi's and VW's, I know some of these fluids can deteriorate rubber brake lines, but I am going to be upgrading to stainless lines anyways and wouldn't change the brake fluid over until then. I am posting a link at the end of the message here, thas a photo of the brake fluid I have, I used it on my old auto x car and it worked AWESOME, it resisted water and air and has a pretty high boiling point to resist heat as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/000_0017.jpg
post #25 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 02:33 PM

check that I said NSX and Type 2 and I meant the differences between Type 1 and Type 2, sorry for the confusion (it's been a rough morning at work and I am on break, seems as if my brain took a break too)
post #26 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 04:58 PM

There shouldn't be balancing problems as you have just mentioned because on EDM Legends (since 91), they were already equipped w/ dual piston calipers I believe. However, as for the racing brake fluid, I am not certain, it's recommended that Legends use DOT3 or DOT4, so I always go OEM. So I am not sure about the racing fluid.
post #27 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 06:19 PM

aww hell. i forgot to buy the caliper brackets for the type 2 calipers.
post #28 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 07:53 PM

good I figured the braking balance wouldn't be an issue, bu I have to ask just to be sure ya know, I will do some research on the racing blue and see if it is compatable, it would be cool if it was, if not the OEM fluid will safice as I really dont drive my car hard enough to really warrant the racing blue. but you know if I wanted to go auto x for the hell of it one weekend, I would liek to know if I can use it or not, so that is def something I will look into and hopefully be able to post back some findings.
post #29 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 08:14 PM

with stock brakes, you wont have any trouble with the OEM brake fluid.

that, and the car isnt fast enough to really warrant aftermarket BRAKE FLUID
post #30 of 42 Old 06-22-05, 08:36 PM

very true, but it's the constant braking of auto x events that worries me, for street driving the OEM would be fine, possibly even for auto x too, I dunno I noticed a small difference when I used it on my Suzuki Swift GTi that I used to auto x, the pedal didn't seem to fade later on in my runs liek it used to with the OEM fluid, plus after a day of auto x I would have to flush all my brake fluid with the OEM, with the racing blue I never had to flush it, I haven't auto x'd my Legend so I dunno how it will or wont react, jst something that I kinda wanted to know in the event I chose to try and use the racing blue, chances are I wont even use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > Legend > 2nd Gen Legend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in