Xenon bulbs too bright? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
3rd Gen TL Forum for the GV platform TL - 2004 to 2008.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-08, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Xenon bulbs too bright?

I have an '07 Type-S with xenon bulbs, and it seems that a lot of oncoming night traffic think I have my high beams on–even though they're not. People flash their highs on me and all I can do is return the favor (just briefly) to let them know my car's lights aren't on high. I can't be the only one with this problem. What are others doing? Are the bulbs easy to redirect?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-07-08, 08:16 AM

I have gotten this occasionally on my Acura cars (all but the 1997 CL I used to have)..... Some people just dont understand that HID lights are much brighter, even though our cars do have projector housings its still possible to blind people once in a while (heading up hill, going over a hump in the road, cresting a hill, etc...)

I have a HID kit on my Z06 which is not a projector housing, I do have them aimed lower as to not blind people but again when heading up hill or cresting a hill I get a oncoming driver flash their high beams.

They are just jealous you have better lighting than them

2007 Acura TL Type S Silver/Ebony

2002 ZO6 Corvette: (lightly modded)
Best ET [email protected]

2008 Hummer H2

SOLD 1996 Corvette Grandsport #775-lots of mods
1/4 times: [email protected] N/A [email protected] 150HP NOS

2002 Yamaha YZF R-1 Blue/White
[email protected]

Previous Acuras:
1997 CL 3.0 Premium
2003 CL Type S
2006 TL

cars/bike can be viewed at www.fquick.com/MVR155
post #3 of 11 Old 10-07-08, 08:28 AM
Moderatus Emeriti

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTate View Post
I have an '07 Type-S with xenon bulbs, and it seems that a lot of oncoming night traffic think I have my high beams on–even though they're not. People flash their highs on me and all I can do is return the favor (just briefly) to let them know my car's lights aren't on high. I can't be the only one with this problem. What are others doing? Are the bulbs easy to redirect?

Thanks.
I have 50 watt HID lights behind TSX projectors, paired with a set of 35 watt HID behind projectors in my fog lights on my RSX. I will occasionally get flashed but not very often. Aiming is something that either you or a mechanic can do. Check your owner's manual for a how to - or take it back to a shop. I would not recommend driving with a set of mis-aimed HID / projectors as it could be a safety issue with oncoming traffic.

Nikon1
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness!

post #4 of 11 Old 10-08-08, 01:13 AM

I have never gotten that on my 07 TL HID light, but then again it could be where you live. I live in Southern Cali where many ppl here owned luxury cars with Xenon HID, so ppl are used to seeing them everywhere. Just a thought!
post #5 of 11 Old 10-08-08, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroxg View Post
I have never gotten that on my 07 TL HID light, but then again it could be where you live. I live in Southern Cali where many ppl here owned luxury cars with Xenon HID, so ppl are used to seeing them everywhere. Just a thought!
Good point. I understand they're brighter than conventional headlights so I don't blame people for the "courtesy flash." I think I'll discuss it with the dealer when my car's in for its next oil change.

Kevin
post #6 of 11 Old 10-14-08, 10:32 PM
dave2k

Same problem

I have a 2006 TL and I am constantly getting "flashed" by oncoming drivers. I believe my lights are well aimed but they are incredibly bright. Worst case is when the curvature of the road causes my lights to go in the other driver's eyes. It is very annoying, one of the very few annoyances I have with the car. I'd like to tone them down somewhat as they really don't need to be so bright. I may apply some tinted covers of some sort. I'd like to hear a better solution if anyone has one.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-23-12, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
I have 50 watt HID lights behind TSX projectors, paired with a set of 35 watt HID behind projectors in my fog lights on my RSX. I will occasionally get flashed but not very often. Aiming is something that either you or a mechanic can do. Check your owner's manual for a how to - or take it back to a shop. I would not recommend driving with a set of mis-aimed HID / projectors as it could be a safety issue with oncoming traffic.

totally agree on this one. proper aiming is the key to this type of situation.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-24-12, 02:52 PM
dim

+1 ^ make sure the aim is not too high also if you carry a big load in your trunk the front tend to point higher than when the car is under normal/even load - could that be the case?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-16, 01:44 PM

My Mood: Inspired
I constantly have this issue as well with my 06 TL. To always have lights flashed at me has only been an annoyance until two days ago when someone that thought I had my brights on changed lanes in front of me to make a point. I barely had time to react and almost hit them! Once I got around them I realized they had done it because of my lights or I would have flashed them from behind. They then rode with their brights on for miles behind me. Now it's getting dangerous. I have people traveling in front of me put on their brakes all the time because their trying to get me to dim. If I didn't find a solution on here today I was actually going to search for lower wattage bulbs if there are such a thing. Will try getting the aim adjusted. Thanks.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-29-16, 05:53 PM

My Mood: Amused
aiming headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
Check your owner's manual for a how to - or take it back to a shop.
Where does the owner's manual show you how to aim your headlights?
Do you know how much my Acura dealer here charges for aiming headlights? $82 a piece !!
post #11 of 11 Old 11-18-16, 01:26 AM

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigmutt View Post
Where does the owner's manual show you how to aim your headlights?

Do you know how much my Acura dealer here charges for aiming headlights? $82 a piece !!

There are videos on you tube that show you how to do it yourself if you want to try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 3rd Gen TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in