Acura World banner

Overheating damage

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WTD11 
#1 ·
2002 TL. So, long story short. Found this poor single mother of 4 a nice TL for $500. Needed a few maintenance parts but nothing urgent. She drove it for a week and overheated it....bad. No coolant left in radiator or overflow. Found out that the cap and radiator mating surface was bad and it all boiled out. She overheated so bad that the oil was burnt and it threw multiple codes including misfires and both cam position sensor codes. Why would it throw these cam codes? By the way it bucks at 3000 rpm which is a symptom of these failed sensors and I ohmed one of them out. There are also pretty little flecks of metal in the oil/oil filter. So, my other question besides the cam sensors is what would be the most likely source of the metal.....crank/bearings, cams....? Also, checked compression and it is still decent for having 267k on it. Still runs by the way but not well.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, I was thinking the engine might be salvageable until you mentioned metal flakes in the oil. That's very bad news, meaning some part of the engine was scraping metal off another part. The vibration at 3k rpm is probably the bearings moving around because they are worn and loose. I would bet the crankshaft bearings or the connecting rod bearings are shot, which means an engine rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.