Acura World banner

05 Acura MDX w/ Bose: Replacing Stereo & Nav, Adding Subs & Amp: Questions and Issues

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  side4 
#1 ·
05 Acura MDX w/ Bose: Replacing Stereo & Nav, Adding Subs & Amp: Questions and Issues

I have a 2005 Acura MDX with Navigation, Bose and On-Star. I am trying to get an aftermarket android LCD Stereo, to replace the stock stereo, but need the proper wire harnesses. I also want to replace the stock Nav Screen with a stock Computer Trip Screen that is meant for the same car, just without the Nav part. I might need use the Radio Bypass Harness, I'm not sure. When I plug the Trip Computer unit into my vehicle that had the Nav, it only shows the clock, and won't let me access anything else.

Can I replace a 2005 Acura MDX Trip Computer unit inside a 2005 Acura MDX that has a Nav unit? The plug on the back is the same, but the Nav unit connects to a DVD drive under the seat, and shows you the reverse camera, while the trip computer unit does not do that. How do I know which wire in the Nav plug is the rear view camera feed, etc? I want to replace my Nav with the Trip Computer because the Nav requires a fully working Nav disk and drive to load up the interface, while the trip computer doesn't require that to boot up.

I also have a KAC-9106D 2000 watt amp and two 12" subwoofers that I would like to add to the vehicle. I don't know if I need the "Honda Amplifier integration Interface" adapter, there must be a Bose amp in my car somewhere, because I have Bose speakers. Also, I was hoping to disconnect the stock Bose sub and connect the wiring to my subs using a line level converter. Here is what one person said, is he accurate?:

"Here's what I did on my 2003 Touring/Nav: remove the grill to the rear sub, remove the sub itself, detached the wires leading to the speakers, and rerouted them to a line-level converter. The line-level converter, which basically converts amplified speaker-level signal (mono in this case) to line-level signal, has red/white RCA outputs, which I then fed to the aftermarket sub amp I mounted under the third row seat. Finally, I "earballed" the signal so that at 75% volume on the head unit, my amp was getting a non-distorted signal. It works like a champ. Sounds great, since the Bose sub-amp (which I could not access) is doing all the crossover work."

This is what I have ordered:
sonicelectronix /item_19051_PAC-Honda-Amplifier-integration-Interface-AOEM-HON20.html
sonicelectronix /item_121453_PAC-SWICP2-SWI-CP2-ControlPRO.html
sonicelectronix /item_12841_Metra-40-HD10.html
sonicelectronix /item_12492_Metra-70-1725.html
sonicelectronix /item_12476_Metra-70-1721t.html

This is the aftermarket stereo I have:
ebay /itm/10-1-AUX-Android-9-0-Octa-Core-2-DIN-Car-Radio-Stereo-WiFi-GPS-Camera-Universal/264517748012?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is the stock stereo and Nav system that I have:
photos.app.goo .gl/A8qh9bHyvbgkNpch6

This is the Trip Computer that I have, that I want to replace the Nav screen with:
ebay /itm/04-05-06-ACURA-MDX-Trip-Computer-Display-Screen-A-C-Clock-78200-S3V-A220-OEM/172821677534?fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3AAcura&hash=item283cf985de:g:t2sAAOSwqOFb6xDN:sc:USPSFirstClass!80104!US!-1

This is what I want to still work:

1. Stock Steering Wheel Controls, I have volume down, volume up, channel button, Bluetooth button 1,2,3 and 4.
2. Stock Reverse Camera. I know the wires for this is in the plug that goes into the NAV screen, but I want to know which wire it is so I can remove it from that plug and connect it to the aftermarket stereo.
3. Stock AM/FM Antenna.
4. Stock GPS Antenna.
5. Allow the Trip Computer/Touch Screen/AC Controls to function when the aftermarket stereo is installed.
6. Make sure all stock Bose speakers in vehicle still work.

What I would really like to know is what all the specific wires behind the stereo and Nav do.

If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it!!!

Thanks again.

See less See more
#5 ·

I have a 2005 Acura MDX with Navigation, Bose and On-Star. I am trying to get an aftermarket android LCD Stereo, to replace the stock stereo, but need the proper wire harnesses. I also want to replace the stock Nav Screen with a stock Computer Trip Screen that is meant for the same car, just without the Nav part. I might need use the Radio Bypass Harness, I'm not sure. When I plug the Trip Computer unit into my vehicle that had the Nav, it only shows the clock, and won't let me access anything else.

Can I replace a 2005 Acura MDX Trip Computer unit inside a 2005 Acura MDX that has a Nav unit? The plug on the back is the same, but the Nav unit connects to a DVD drive under the seat, and shows you the reverse camera, while the trip computer unit does not do that. How do I know which wire in the Nav plug is the rear view camera feed, etc? I want to replace my Nav with the Trip Computer because the Nav requires a fully working Nav disk and drive to load up the interface, while the trip computer doesn't require that to boot up.

I also have a KAC-9106D 2000 watt amp and two 12" subwoofers that I would like to add to the vehicle. I don't know if I need the "Honda Amplifier integration Interface" adapter, there must be a Bose amp in my car somewhere, because I have Bose speakers. Also, I was hoping to disconnect the stock Bose sub and connect the wiring to my subs using a line level converter. Here is what one person said, is he accurate?:

"Here's what I did on my 2003 Touring/Nav: remove the grill to the rear sub, remove the sub itself, detached the wires leading to the speakers, and rerouted them to a line-level converter. The line-level converter, which basically converts amplified speaker-level signal (mono in this case) to line-level signal, has red/white RCA outputs, which I then fed to the aftermarket sub amp I mounted under the third row seat. Finally, I "earballed" the signal so that at 75% volume on the head unit, my amp was getting a non-distorted signal. It works like a champ. Sounds great, since the Bose sub-amp (which I could not access) is doing all the crossover work."

This is what I have ordered:
sonicelectronix /item_19051_PAC-Honda-Amplifier-integration-Interface-AOEM-HON20.html
sonicelectronix /item_121453_PAC-SWICP2-SWI-CP2-ControlPRO.html
sonicelectronix /item_12841_Metra-40-HD10.html
sonicelectronix /item_12492_Metra-70-1725.html
sonicelectronix /item_12476_Metra-70-1721t.html

This is the aftermarket stereo I have:
ebay /itm/10-1-AUX-Android-9-0-Octa-Core-2-DIN-Car-Radio-Stereo-WiFi-GPS-Camera-Universal/264517748012?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is the stock stereo and Nav system that I have:
photos.app.goo .gl/A8qh9bHyvbgkNpch6

This is the Trip Computer that I have, that I want to replace the Nav screen with:
ebay /itm/04-05-06-ACURA-MDX-Trip-Computer-Display-Screen-A-C-Clock-78200-S3V-A220-OEM/172821677534?fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3AAcura&hash=item283cf985de:g:t2sAAOSwqOFb6xDN:sc:USPSFirstClass!80104!US!-1

This is what I want to still work:

1. Stock Steering Wheel Controls, I have volume down, volume up, channel button, Bluetooth button 1,2,3 and 4.
2. Stock Reverse Camera. I know the wires for this is in the plug that goes into the NAV screen, but I want to know which wire it is so I can remove it from that plug and connect it to the aftermarket stereo.
3. Stock AM/FM Antenna.
4. Stock GPS Antenna.
5. Allow the Trip Computer/Touch Screen/AC Controls to function when the aftermarket stereo is installed.
6. Make sure all stock Bose speakers in vehicle still work.

What I would really like to know is what all the specific wires behind the stereo and Nav do.

If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it!!!

Thanks again.
I want to do the same thing for the same reasons. Did you ever accomplish this?

#6 · (Edited)
If your replacing the Navigation system with the compass/trip computer you need to replace the climate control module too as they are a set... I went the opposite and added navigation to a non navigation car and had to replace the control module to make it work . It's not plug n play rewiring is needed! Why not just replace the radio and leave the Navigation system and be done with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.