Acura World banner

Weird 2000 tl headlight problem - pls help

83K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Meganxxmichelle92 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2000 3.2 TL. My front passenger HID headlight turns off while I'm driving randomly (i.e. sometimes it will work for days without turning off) and for no apparent reason (i.e. roads are smooth, etc). When I notice that its off, I turn the switch and it turns back on again. I had the Acura dealer check and they could not tell what's wrong, but said they will need to replace the whole thing (i.e. inverter, bulbs, etc) for $978 dollars.

Ouch. Have any of you fellow tl'ers run into a similar issue? Any ideas what the problem might be (i.e. bulb)? Can any of you describe the steps to replace the passenger-side headlight bulb?

I'd rather try replacing the bulb first than paying almost a thousand dollars to replace everything. I appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

#2 ·
I would try swapping the bulbs from side to side. If the problem follows the bulb then its the bulb. If the problem stays on the same side of the car then its the other crap (Inverter?, Igniter?, Ballast? All of which I have a limited understanding of at present)

#4 ·
I had a similar problem a while back. My left HID worked randomly and then completely stopped working. The problem was a loose wire in the plastic clip that connects the 2 inverter wires to the rest of the car. To get to it you need to take off the bumper and dismount the headlight.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a big job to remove the bumper. I am having problems with the passenger side head light. Can I get to the clip there without removing the bumper? If not, any hints or links on how to remove the bumper.

Thanks again.

J

#7 ·
Same problem, is it cheaper to get a new kit

I have the same problem on my drivers side. I went to Acura and they quoted me $850 for a new ballast and ignitor and said the bulb was fine and that was just for 1 side!!! Most of this cost is the labor for bumper removal. I found new/used ballasts and ignitors on Ebay for around $200. I was wondering if anyone has done a HID upgrade to blue bulbs/bigger 8000K ballasts or anything? The aftermarket stuff always seems to be a little cheaper than going through the dealer. Has anyone purchased these or have any comments on additional aftermarket TL light products for the 2000 TL?

"PlasmaGarage.com:: Xenon HID Conversion Kits

$159 for 2 bulbs and 2 ballast kits. The website says they don't use separate ignitors. I am not sure if I trust the plug-n-play system for something so fragile and electrical with that much electrical current. Any thoughts?

#10 ·
The bottom line is this, I love my acura but the low-beam headlight system is a financial black hole. After-market HID kits can be purchased and professionally installed for around $250 (cheap) and maybe $500 (at a very expensive and established aftermarket shop). Those prices are for both sides, whereas acura oem will run you around $800 each side.

#12 ·
I have a 00 TL I went to a car shop around the corner and they said my ballast was bad after getting my driver side headlight checked out, they jimmy rigged it but now my low beam wont come so I'm wondering if i need a new ballast or whole headlight and what i should look for to replace it other than dealership prices, or if an aftermarket kit will work, what kind should I put in?

#13 · (Edited)
My situation is similar:
My headlights (low beams) intermittently go out on my 1999 Acura TL 3.2. Often one or the other, sometimes both. Occasionally, both go out when the turn signal is also in use or just deactivated. Usually turning the lights off/on one or several times makes both turn back on. Rarely (twice), I have had to pull over at night because they both went out and wouldn't turn immediately back on.
There is no condensation and the HID bulbs were in place for six-nine months before intermittent outages. High beams work fine, even when one low beam is out.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Brian

#14 ·
Same problem

Can anyone point me towards a picture or video of how to replace the bulb? Taking off the bumper seems a bit extreme. My drivers side low beam turns off and when I turn off the lights and back on, it comes on for about 5 - 10 seconds and turns off again. Prior to this behavior the color turned to purple/pink on the same bulb. Any suggestions?

#15 ·
You don't need to remove the headlamp assembly to remove the bulb. You do, however, need a "tamper proof" Torx bit to release the protective cap over the socket and igniter.

(Looks like this, but is a T-20 or 25, can't remember. Sears sells a set for cheap.)

To access the HID ballasts, you DO have to remove the bumper and headlamp assemblies. It's not as bad as it sounds (although, if you live in a road salt area the two bolts just ahead of the front wheels may be corroded). :bigcry:

Also, no need to pay dealer prices for Acura parts. I replaced my entire HID lowbeam system with a kit from HIDExtra.com last fall. Complete kit cost less than $80 USD for new bulbs, ballasts, and igniters. (A small bit of soldering required to re-use the Acura plugs and sockets)

#16 ·
In 2019, Acura just quoted me $1100 before taxes for the following:

Head light Part cost $225
Labor $160 – includes testing to determine what the issue is.
Suspect not the bulb but one of the other parts based on what’s happening but can’t be sure.
Igniter part cost $357.50
Inverter part cost $357.50

I have the exact same problem, the bulb goes on and off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.