1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I have a 2019 RDX that has displayed the following message twice:

“TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE NEAR LIMIT. AVOID HEAVY ACCELERATION AND HIGH SPEED.”

Both times occurred under similar conditions. 100 degree day, driving for over an hour on a level freeway at 80mph, not stop and go traffic. No codes were stored. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn’t replicate the problem and therefore couldn’t do anything. (Incredible response, right?) it recently has service done at the dealership, before the transmission warning, that included an automatic transmission fluid change.

What are my options here? If I can’t get the dealership to fix this problem, I don’t want the car (which I otherwise really like). Not comfortable going out of town in the car with this warning popping up. Suggestions?

·
Administrator
2018 Acura RDX Tech, AWD
57 Posts
Greetings all.

I have a 2019 RDX that has displayed the following message twice:

“TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE NEAR LIMIT. AVOID HEAVY ACCELERATION AND HIGH SPEED.”

Both times occurred under similar conditions. 100 degree day, driving for over an hour on a level freeway at 80mph, not stop and go traffic. No codes were stored. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn’t replicate the problem and therefore couldn’t do anything. (Incredible response, right?) it recently has service done at the dealership, before the transmission warning, that included an automatic transmission fluid change.

What are my options here? If I can’t get the dealership to fix this problem, I don’t want the car (which I otherwise really like). Not comfortable going out of town in the car with this warning popping up. Suggestions?
Welcome to the forum. I’m not very knowledgeable with this, but one thing come to mind. Have you checked the transmission fluid level. Just to make sure the dealer put enough in? You could also try another dealer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’m not very knowledgeable with this, but one thing come to mind. Have you checked the transmission fluid level. Just to make sure the dealer put enough in? You could also try another dealer.
I second the post the above responded with. The Trans fluid change on Honda's is not really a change. You drain about 3 liters of fluid. Put the plug back in and fill it with 3 quarts of fluid. 3 qts is almost 1/2 qt shy of 3 liters. So, in the best case, your tranny might be 1/2 qt low on fluid. In the worst case, perhaps they forgot to put the fluid in, or maybe did not put all of the fluid back in.

The other possibility is they didn't follow Honda's procedure here and instead hooked it up to a flushing machine. This is generally a bad idea.

You said this was serviced at the dealer? A Honda/Acura dealer? What else do they sell? How long have they been in biz?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everyone,
Thank you for the replies. I THINK I got to the bottom of the problem, although I’ll never know for sure. I took the rdx to a different dealer to look into the problem and they said the only thing they could find was the transmission fluid was over filled by over a quart. It appears the other dealer that did the service messed up something pretty simple.

anyway, they had a 2022 mdx on the lot and I’d been wanting to get a bigger car so I traded the rdx in. I really liked that car, and I like the mdx too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,
Thank you for the replies. I THINK I got to the bottom of the problem, although I’ll never know for sure. I took the rdx to a different dealer to look into the problem and they said the only thing they could find was the transmission fluid was over filled by over a quart. It appears the other dealer that did the service messed up something pretty simple.

anyway, they had a 2022 mdx on the lot and I’d been wanting to get a bigger car so I traded the rdx in. I really liked that car, and I like the mdx too.
I bought my 2022 MDX in May 2021. Bought the 5,000 # towing package. Had to wait until Novemebr to get the transmission cooler installed. Have traveled 3,000 miles since the cooler was installed.

Last week was driving on the Florida Turnpike for several hours. 70 degrees. After 90 minutes of 80 mph travel I got the same message. Pulled into a plaza, put the car in Park and left the engine running while I searched the owners manual. Found nothing. After 5 minutes the message disappeared.

I got back on the road and set the cruise for 75. Called the dealer and spoke to the service tech who coordinated the cooler install. No, I am not towing anything. He was clearly stumped. Thought it might be a bad temperature sensor. Suggested I take it to the nearest dealer and have it checked. Will do that next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update. Dealer checked it out in February. Says there were no "events" in the cars computer memory. "Events" is not the phrase they used but they were mystified that the car failed to log the event.

But...

It happened again yesterday. Running with traffic on I-75 at 75 mph to 80 mph for an hour or so. Same warning came on. This time I took a photo.
Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Multimedia

Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Multimedia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts