Acura World banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
proe said:
I think the biggest thing about having SHAWD on RL is I do not know how many people will actually use it. Not many, I assume.
On the other hand, I believe ATTESA ET-S was developed for track initially and has been used on track for almost 16 years.
So, until Honda will use SHWAD on its race cars if they do have one or they transfer it to other Japanses automakers, which in Japan all automakers share info quite often, not like here, I think it may be a shame.
In some form or another SH-AWD will be used all the time. Reason being is everytime you accelerate it will transfer some percentage of power to the rear wheels. How much will depend on how hard you accelerate, but during any type of acceleration the AWD will move to a rear bias. Even during average spirited cornering it will be used. Remember, most of us will agree that with a 58/42 front weight bias and a transverse mounted engine, the RL technically should show signs of understee, plowing and torque steer from the uneven half shafts. That is one complaint about the 04 TL after all. It becomes obvious that since nearly every review thus far has shown the RL to be neutral and even being able to swing the rear around corners that the system is working to mask if you will the traits of a front heavy transverse mounted engine car. The question now becomes when will the system no longer be able to cover up these traits? I for one think that level is quite high for a 3800lb car and 99% of us will not reach it. I'm not saying SH-AWD will save every stupid move by a driver, but I do think it will save a lot of dumb moves by driver and also offer "Fun" traits to those of us willing to push the car a bit further than a normal buyer would.

Also, you bring up an interesting point about using SH-AWD in Honda race cars. Have you been following F1 this season? Remember when BAR/Honda wanted to use their torque transfer case up front to limmit brake lockup on the front wheels under heavy breaking? Now, I'm not saying this technology they wanted to use was SH-AWD as we know it, but it shared a very similar concept in that it would releave, or transfer torque to the other wheel when it sensed wheel lock on on that particular wheel. It was also electronicly controlled thus the FIA would not allow BAR/Honda to use it. Late in the season though they did use a fully mechanical version of it. Now I have no actual knowlege of exactly how this device worked, but my guess (And I could be totally wrong) is that the original electronically controlled version used electro mechanical clutches similar to SH-AWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I got the following post from ceric from Edmuds. com Fuga is new Infiniti M series as in Japan, they call Nissan 350Z as Fairlady Z.

"There are a lot of info on Nissan's Japan website.
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/FUGA/top.html


Allow me to give those who don't read Japanese a short intro.
(1) On the same horizontal bar with "FUGA" title, from left to right
(Concept) (Style) (Performance & Equipment) (Safety & Environment) (Specifications & Price) (Accessory)
(2) Move your cursor to each link listed in (1), you would get a second line sub-menu
(3) Click away ... Yeeehaaaa!


BTW, there are two Japanese TV ads commercial of Fuga under "What's New" (the second item).


Hope you enjoy them all."

I mean if you check out the Performance and Equipment, you will realize that M35 has very crzy seat adjustment that not even RL can match. And, that is left and right.
The only issue is are we getting it.
Also, I think RL is FWD bias and M35 is RWD bias.
Things are getting very interesting for next two years.
 

·
Integra Mod
Joined
·
7,146 Posts
proe said:
I got the following post from ceric from Edmuds. com Fuga is new Infiniti M series as in Japan, they call Nissan 350Z as Fairlady Z.

"There are a lot of info on Nissan's Japan website.
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/FUGA/top.html


Allow me to give those who don't read Japanese a short intro.
(1) On the same horizontal bar with "FUGA" title, from left to right
(Concept) (Style) (Performance & Equipment) (Safety & Environment) (Specifications & Price) (Accessory)
(2) Move your cursor to each link listed in (1), you would get a second line sub-menu
(3) Click away ... Yeeehaaaa!


BTW, there are two Japanese TV ads commercial of Fuga under "What's New" (the second item).


Hope you enjoy them all."

I mean if you check out the Performance and Equipment, you will realize that M35 has very crzy seat adjustment that not even RL can match. And, that is left and right.
The only issue is are we getting it.
Also, I think RL is FWD bias and M35 is RWD bias.
Things are getting very interesting for next two years.
Yes, I think that the m35/m45 will be a tough competitor for the RL. Crazy seat adjustment though? I doubt that will be a major selling point. Both cars have their pros and cons, as I'm sure there are features the RL has that the M35/45 won't. About the RL being FWD bias - that's what we've been arguing. The SH-AWD IS a revolutionary system because it allows a 2-ton luxury sedan to corner like a sports car - this is despite a 58/42 weight distribution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
The RL is not sluggish if you step on it and I'm sure that is how C&D got it to go 0 to 60 in 6.5. It does move out quickly when you push the throttle to the floor. The problem I've had with mine is that it does tend to be sluggish unless you push it hard or drive it in manual mode. When accelerating normally, the automatic transmissions shifts are very drawn out and slow and that makes the car seem sluggish. If you push it, it does move out quickly. I've used a G-Tech and it's showed 0 to 60 times in 6.4 to 6.8. Not as fast as my 2002 TLS with the Comptech supercharger, but respectable for a 4000lbs car that is supposed to be more luxury than sport.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
62 Posts
I heard that the next design of the RL has a seat that rotates 360 degrees !

(sorry couldn't resist)

Seriously, I am interested in the value of the seat that moves left and right. It's unlikely that the design team simply added this without having a good reason, since these "options" typically cost money to produce and every car manufacturer is very cost concious.

I can understand the value associated with SHAWD, but I am struggling to understand the value in moving the seat in this manner. Maybe it's just because I have never been able to do this in any car that I have owned before?

Proe, any ideas on how Infinity promotes this feature?

Thanks

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
petemc said:
I heard that the next design of the RL has a seat that rotates 360 degrees !

(sorry couldn't resist)

Seriously, I am interested in the value of the seat that moves left and right. It's unlikely that the design team simply added this without having a good reason, since these "options" typically cost money to produce and every car manufacturer is very cost concious.

I can understand the value associated with SHAWD, but I am struggling to understand the value in moving the seat in this manner. Maybe it's just because I have never been able to do this in any car that I have owned before?

Proe, any ideas on how Infinity promotes this feature?

Thanks

Pete
I have no idea at all. I just thought it was crazy as I went through the web site. I mean that was first time I have ever seen anything like that. However, I would not bet on most every feature in the web site to make in US.
Like RL, in Japan, they have night vision as standard even in new Accord, and we get nothing. Also, Mugen, the aftermarket manufacturer for Honda, has some kick ass aftermarket parts that we do not get here.
It is like Civic or NSX, there is a Type R in Japan or any other country, but not in US :bigcry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
CODY2005RL said:
The RL is not sluggish if you step on it and I'm sure that is how C&D got it to go 0 to 60 in 6.5. It does move out quickly when you push the throttle to the floor. The problem I've had with mine is that it does tend to be sluggish unless you push it hard or drive it in manual mode. When accelerating normally, the automatic transmissions shifts are very drawn out and slow and that makes the car seem sluggish. If you push it, it does move out quickly. I've used a G-Tech and it's showed 0 to 60 times in 6.4 to 6.8. Not as fast as my 2002 TLS with the Comptech supercharger, but respectable for a 4000lbs car that is supposed to be more luxury than sport.
I think all the automatic Honda models are like that. I think by design it is kind of nice. I mean in a stop and go or in local, you do not need to worry too much about going too fast that you will rear end someone. Just think about the new M5. I am pretty sure it would be a pain to drive a M5 in stop and go. :laugh:
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
proe, I think you should go and test drive the new RL. That way, you'll know how it compares with what you already know about the ATTESA. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. But you won't know for sure until you give that RL a spin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
According to this site 0-60 times acceleration for all cars, 1/4 mile time, zero to 60, 0 to 100 kmh[/url] it's about 6.5 - 7 seconds. I guess there must be a trick on how to do it better :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
which is true? and can a car really just feel slow but actually be alot faster. i want to see track times so badly.
 
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Top