Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be one of the most unluckiest people to ever own an Acura. There's a good chance my engine is blown. :mad::wtf:

Ok I have a 2001 TL with 147k miles on it. I may be the 3rd owner I believe. It was leased for the first 2 years & then the guy that got it next had it for about 8 years or so I think, so it was well taken care of at least by the 2nd owner I assume since he had it so long. Plus the carfax shows all of the work done at the Acura dealership.

I haven't had any engine issues with this car except for a bad coil pack maybe 1-1.5 years ago. My mechanic swapped it out, everything worked flawless again up until now.

On Tuesday last week on the highway doing about 75 it began to shake like it did the 1st time the coil pack went bad, I stopped at an autozone & they had 7 codes come up I think, 5 were misfiring cylinders & I forget the other two, but they were in relation to the misfiring cylinders. I will run out to my car to try & find the paper with them on it.

So anyways I tried changing out the coil pack myself, did it to all 6, nothing changed. I drove it back home 1.5 hours from where I was & it drove "ok" it got me home fine, but still had a misfiring cylinder.

I brought it to my mechanic yesterday, he is an 11 year certified Acura Technician and actually has the exact same car, only in 2002. So he's quite familiar with these to say the least.

He found the bad cylinder/coil pack, swapped in the new coil pack - nothing. Then he swapped spark plugs from a good cylinder to check that - nothing. He checked the fuel injector said everything seems to be working fine. He took the top part of the engine off & cleaned out the carbon from the channels - nothing.

This thing is STILL misfiring.

He said he can do one more pressure tests, but the tool was at his work so will have to wait this week. But he said it will tell us if it's a bad cylinder for sure, which means an engine replacement he said.

Which is about the worst possible news I could have gotten after putting my heart & soul into maintaining this "supposed" bulletproof Acura.

Does anyone have ANY other ideas on what could be causing this in hopes that it is NOT a full engine replacement?

He said a used engine would be $1000-$2000 & he'd put it in for $500.

Sucks so bad, I just put $800 into this car recently between gas tank & body work because apparently this car was in an accident at some point in it's life and began to rust & leak gas. I got a lemon and needless to say it's left a VERY sour taste in my mouth. I really tried to baby & take care of this car to hopefully last me another 100k.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Usually misfire codes point to either a faulty EGR valve or clogged EGR ports. Since he's an Acura tech, I assume he looked at freeze data from the EGR valve and unbolted the EGR to check the passages?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually misfire codes point to either a faulty EGR valve or clogged EGR ports. Since he's an Acura tech, I assume he looked at freeze data from the EGR valve and unbolted the EGR to check the passages?
I'm not sure if he did that, he did pressure test the cylinders, good cylinder was at 155 & bad was at 40.

Do you think it's worth looking into this EGR valve ports being clogged or does that low of a pressure reading in the bad cylinder indicate I'm screwed?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If that's the case, ignore the EGR ports.

Next step is to see *why* the compression in the cylinder is low, by doing a cylinder leakdown test. This involves unscrewing the spark plug and pumping compressed air into the cylinder and seeing where the air leaks out.

If it bubbles out of the cooling system, you've got a bad head gasket. If it comes out the dipstick tube, bad piston rings. If it comes out of the top of the valve cover (oil fill cap), one of the valves isn't seating properly.

Now this test isn't cut and dry for those specific answers, but that's a general guideline. Coolant and oil intermix is also something to watch for, as well as an oily spark plug. Usually the problem can be diagnosed or narrowed down before any major disassembly is performed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts