Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 01 TL is eating front brake rotors. Up till now I've just been buying smooth OEM replacements. They go bad within 6 months to a year, warping like potato chips so bad that the steering wheel shimmies like crazy. Last time I tried Brembo discs, same result. I just ordered a really nice set of ATE PremiumOne slotted rotors and Hawk HPS Street pads for the front and the rear.
A friend at work had a similar issue with his Toyota and finally fixed the yearly rotor replacement by also changing out his wheel bearings so I figured I'd give it a shot. This TL has 160K on it and my wife has shredded 3 or 4 front tires by plowing into massive potholes. Bad wheel bearings are a distinct possibility, although I can't detect much wheel wobble with the wheels in the air. I'm going to change them anyway. Bought a set of SKF bearings at NAPA today.

Any advise would be appreciated. I can't find much "how-to" info on this job for this particular car. I think I need to remove the whole steering knuckle and have the bearings pressed out/in but was wondering if there are any special tools needed (other than the press). Anybody done this? Any pointers and advise? Anybody have a nice service manual for this car?

·
Lost in the Garden State
309 Posts
Wheel bearing replacement requires removal of the hub and a press to avoid damaging the hub.

Another pitfall is, the bearings have to go on in a certain orientation so that the ABS sensors will read properly.

Even though I do a lot of work on my own cars, I farmed my front wheel bearing job out when it failed. Glad I did...

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Here's a tip.....make sure that you put the marked end with the ABS reluctor magnets towards the tire, because if you put it in backwards, you'll end up buying another bearing, or living with your ABS light on.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts