Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - now my TL transmission is dead. Acura dealer called me today to say it would cost me $4,100 to replace it. (MO) Service Advisor is requesting assistance from the "Regional Acura guy" to see if he will help out since the transmission has been proven to be a total lemon. She asked me if I have had the tranny serviced every 30k miles? While it has been serviced, not every 30k miles! Do Acura trannys require servicing every 30k??

·
Lost in the Garden State
309 Posts
Do Acura trannys require servicing every 30k??
Look in your owner's manual...:paranoid:

The maintenance schedule in our '99 states to replace the fluid at 60K miles (or months), then replace it again every 30K miles (or 30 months) after that. (One drain and fill changes about half the fluid).

Because the 5 speed automatics are more prone to problems, many owners change the fluid more often.

I'd start asking around at a transmission rebuilder in case Acura's fix is too costly for you. Don't be afraid to negotiate the dealer's portion (labor) of the repair.

Good Luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've always stuck to the factory recommendation of fluid replacement every 30K miles. Granted, I had my tranny replaced under warranty 2 months and 1K miles before it ran out, but my original tranny went 98K miles and 7 years with no issues.

My new tranny, has been trouble free for 3 years now, but I'm sticking to the 30K service recommendation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts