Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a couple of auto-repair shops and have worked as a tech for many years prior. I have an 03 MDX, 85,000 Miles. I purchased it Recently (2 Months or so). The Transmission is acting Up a little. Its not the Torque Converter Shutter at 30-40 mph. It may be beginning stages of TC Wear. Couple Things going on:

1-2 Gear and 2-3 Gears Slow Shifting. Have to Baby it Let up on the Gas or else it revs high. 3-4 and 4-5 similar but not as noticeable. Also, Coming to a stop (complete Stop), Clunk underneath my feet. Planning to check motor mounts/tranny mount, but probably unrelated to slow shifting. Hooked up the OTC Genesis Scanner, communicated between it and the TCM (Trany Computer): Most of the Trans Solenoids/Components seemed to be working appropriately after taking it out on a test drive and reviewing real time data. The only weird thing is the Shifter was reading (N) while accelerating from 0-16 mph and (R) from 16-29 mph. The Reverse Shift Switch Read Disengaged, but the Shifter signal read these values. Beyond that from 30-31 mph (1st), 31/32-48 mph (2), 49- mph (3). I didnt Accelerate Beyond 50 mph. The Pressure Solenoids 3 and 4 seem to turning on and off accordingly, like i said everything else seemed to be reading accurately. I dont know if the scan diagnostics give a clue or maybe beginning signs of torque converter/gear wear may be showing. Anyone With Professional experience/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Honestly by your description, the first thing I had thought of was the 3rd and 4th gear pressure solenoids, but as you mentioned, they seem to be functioning properly.

The reason I had thought of that first, is trying to eliminate the biggest possibility....internal failure due to lack of lubrication on the 2-3 mainshaft. There was a recall for MDX transmissions because of this. Best thing to do is to email your VIN number to me at [email protected] to see if the recall was done, before we go any further.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I edited out your VIN number, as it's not a good idea to post them in public forum.

I did run it though, and it seems that your dealer is correct, there are no recalls on it.

Just to rule out TCU issues, disconnect the positive and negative battery cables, and touch them together for about 3 minutes. This forces all capacitors in the components to drain, which clears and resets the computer chips. If a software glitch is the cause, resetting the chip is usually as effective as installing a new component.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts