Acura World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 3.2 TL

In 2008 I had a brand new tranny put in as a "goodwill", I only had to pay labor (thank you Jesus).

In June 2010 I put in a new timing belt and water pump (you guys on here told me to do it so I did).

Now,

Thursday- I drove an hour everything was fine. Came back to the car after an hour and the D5 on dash was blinking, and "engine" light was on. I had no choice I had to drive back home another hour. (After online research- some threads stated - tranny thermostat issue).

Friday- D5 didn't blink upon starting. Read the owner's manual, tightened the gas cap. Engine light still on. Went to autozone to run diagnostic and this came back:

Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 3 misfire
Cylinder 5 misfire

Going right now to change all spark plugs and test the coils under each spark plug. Are we on the right track? Or do you think it has something to do with Tranny (that should be under warranty from dealer since it was new in 2008) or did the guys mess something up when they replaced my timing belt and water pump?:wtf:

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
You are on the right track. :thumbsup:

Only thing is you should pull what codes the system is showing to be sure you don't miss something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, we ran the codes again and here's what they said:

P1676 Trans Control Mod

P1709 Trans Control Circuit Fault

Temp Gage on Transmission

then again

Cylinder Misfires- 1, 3, 5, & 6

So (a good friend of the family) said, "Cylinder misfires mean nothing- you have to find out WHY the cylinders are misfiring."

Me- "So, that would be timing skipped, then causes the cylinders to misfire."

Him- "Yep, probably."

So we left alone the tune-up aspect- replacing the spark plugs etc. and he said to take it to the guys who did the Timing Belt and Water Pump in June 2010. As this should have something to do with them. Then if they say no it's the transmission, take it back to the Dealer as the transmission was new in 2008.

Any input? Any ideas what the hell is wrong with my car? :thefinger

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Multiple cylinder misfires usually means a clogged EGR port. The best way to confirm this is by moving an unaffected coil to another spot and see if the codes change.

The only other thing that can cause multiplle misfire codes, believe it or not, is a non-OEM alternator belt. Don't ask me why, but it can....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

Acura 03 TL 133K

I paid $330 for the last guy to tell me he jiggled all the wires and all the codes went away.

Now, a month later, they are all back on again.

Took to the Dealer this time, screw it.

Trans Control needs replacing (he says)

and engine brackets both cracked

new brakes front and back

Valve adjustment

total $2300.

Here we go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts