Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I get home the other day and back the ol Acura into the garage and smell something burning (not rubber smell) but more like brakes or ceramic smell. I sniff each tire and it's coming from the drivers side rear brake area, no the tire.

So I take it to Midas up the street, he takes my wheel off looks around and says my caliper was locked in place because of a bad break hose. He put my car back together and now I haven't smelled it since in the last two weeks.

Should I just go ahead and get it changed anyway or don't worry about it until it starts smelling again? Or take it to the dealer.

I'm really out of options when it comes to mechanics around my area. Haven't been able to trust not ONE of them!

The Dealer has never done me wrong (except a few incidences of adding extra stuff to repair that really I could have gone without- i.e. engine brackets and spark plug seals).

Bottom line, I have spent $5,600 since November 2010 in REPAIRS alone on this car and that does not include the new tranny I bought in 2008. I'm sick to death of throwing money into this car almost every single month!!!

I'm at 140,000 miles. (New tires, new timing belt/water pump,etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.):wtf:

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I can't see where a bad brake hose could lead to a caliper sticking. At all. Brake hoses simply transfer fluid pressure to the caliper.

Take a look at the hose itself, and see if there are any cracks on the rubber part of the hose, as in dry rot....or stress areas where it might have expanded. Barring that, leave it alone.

I'm betting that the caliper issue happened because the slide pins had either seized or stuck. Normal procedure for that is to simply remove them, run them on a wire wheel, and reinstall them with a high temp lubricant. With Acura products, it's usually a good practice to have them cleaned up about every 15K.

Yikes.....$5600. I would think that you could practically rebuild every other component on the vehicle for that kind of cash. As much as you may not want to, it may make sense to find a good Acura or Honda dealer in your area to have service and repairs performed. Although the labor charges per hour may be higher, it takes a lot less time to do the job, by people who are trained to work on your vehicle alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right...

My brother-in-law sells cars in the area and I just talked to him about the whole thing and he gave me a good guy to go to from now on. The Service Manager at the Honda Dealer and it's right up the street.

I think you're right. Stick to them and I should be ok. I'm making an appointment now and will just ask him (since he's friends of the family and a Honda dealer) to give me an honest opinion on what I should get done on this car. The whole thing.

Thank you for the great advice, as I am so sick of not being able to trust any of the mechanics around here for anything!!! Sticking to Honda/Acura from now on. You sold me.

I know- $5600 is a new Acura down payment, and I'm sick of burning my cash, not even knowing if I need this work in the first place from these losers!!:beerchug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts