Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY beautiful TL has been neglected by me for the last few months, I have a company car and super busy, so she has suffered by sitting.

I went to go drive her the other day and I thought the battery was dead, my neighbor was with me and I let him use the cables... I think he hooked them up backwards, this is in hind-sight. When he hooked the cables to the battery the horn started blasting and the engine wouldn't turn. At the time I thought that the battery was just dead and the car thought it was being broken into?

Got a new battery and now nothing... won't turn over won't register it's receiving any power... the horn works but that's the only thing. I tried jumping it with the new full battery but that did nothing??

I read maybe it could be the alternator, maybe all the fuses blew with the battery being jumped wrong? Is it worse did the whole system get fried?

Any help would be beyond amazing.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Afraid there's no simple answer here. Start pulling and checking fuses. At best, you blew a bunch of them, at worst you fried every relay in the car along with the ECM. My guess is that the answer is somewhere in between.

It's not the alternator. Don't panic. Take 10 minutes and yank and check every fuse, and report back.

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
Afraid there's no simple answer here. Start pulling and checking fuses. At best, you blew a bunch of them, at worst you fried every relay in the car along with the ECM. My guess is that the answer is somewhere in between.

It's not the alternator. Don't panic. Take 10 minutes and yank and check every fuse, and report back.
Haha. I was pretty much going to reply with the same information!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fried

Thanks guys... all the fuses look fine. I see the relays... how could I check them or know they have been fried?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
For the next step, you're really going to need a factory service manual. In the manual, you can look up the schematic for the problem circuit. From there, you need to determine how the circuit is supposed to work by tracing the current paths from the power source through the circuit components to ground. Also, trace circuits that share wiring with the problem circuit. The names of circuits that share the same fuse, ground, or switch, and so on, are referred to in each circuit schematic. If several circuits fail at the same time, the fuse or ground is a likely cause.

Based on the symptoms and your understanding of the circuit’s operation, you can identify one or more possible causes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts