Acura World banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a '04 TL with about 160k miles on it. At higher speeds (70+ mph) the steering wheel tends to wobble making it feel a bit squirley. It's not a vibration, but a wobble like someone has ahold of the steering wheel and is giving it small tugs at about 1-2 cycles per second. I also notice it at lower speeds if I go around a long curve at appx 40 mph it feels similar. I haven't done anything to the car since i bought it beyond having it looked over by a trusted mechanic during an oil change. He informed me that I need to front bushings and motor mounts. I imagine the bad bushings may be playing a role. Was thinking I'd start with an alignment / wheel balance, but wanted to check in with you TL experts and see what your thoughts were. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a '04 TL with about 160k miles on it. At higher speeds (70+ mph) the steering wheel tends to wobble making it feel a bit squirley. It's not a vibration, but a wobble like someone has ahold of the steering wheel and is giving it small tugs at about 1-2 cycles per second. I also notice it at lower speeds if I go around a long curve at appx 40 mph it feels similar. I haven't done anything to the car since i bought it beyond having it looked over by a trusted mechanic during an oil change. He informed me that I need to front bushings and motor mounts. I imagine the bad bushings may be playing a role. Was thinking I'd start with an alignment / wheel balance, but wanted to check in with you TL experts and see what your thoughts were. Thanks in advance.
A wheel balancing would be your first try. Alignment is only usually needed if your tires are wearing unevenly or they equal on a turn.

You most likely need what I needed:
I have an 03 with 217,000 miles. I had to replace ALL the front bushings, ball joints, control-arms, sway bar bushings, and the sway links. That includes upper and lower control arms (2+2+2+2 bushings, 4 ball joints), leading arms (4 bushings), sway bar links (2), sway bar bushings(2). Not too expensive if you buy a kit, the control arms are like $130 for a full set. You also need a special 14 or 15mm thin-shell socket to tighten the sway bar links.

Also all the engine mounts were shot-- the symptom is your neck hurts when you quickly move the gas pedal as the mounts wind-up, bottom-out, bounce back, and that jerks your head back and forth. They are a bit of a pain to replace as you need micro-fingers to reach the nuts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.