Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TL has the 6 tpeed manual transmission. Does this make a difference on what type of struts I install?

Thanks-

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
Sometimes, depending on what you get. I'd stay away from Monroe if they offer anything for your vehicle. KYB GR-2/Excel G lineup if you want to bring back something more like factory. There are some sport shocks if I remember correctly from Tokico and I think Bilstein and Koni. These will firm up the ride a bit, but will give better handling characteristics over factory with a minimal sacrifice to ride quality.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you're buying shocks made for your car by Acura, yes the transmission does affect the shocks a little bit.

The manual transmission is lighter than an automatic, so if you get front shocks from an auto TL, your front will sit higher than it's supposed to.

Many automatic TL guys who go with with the Acura A-Spec sport suspension prefer to find the manual variation as it allows the front to sit lower (looking better) as the auto transmission weighs more.

If you're going aftermarket, it doesn't matter because the companies don't get technical with the variations of the car.

PS: Our cars don't have struts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts