Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've got a 2000 RL that has been giving me a check engine light for some odd years (usually every Christmas just when my inspection is due). I've seemed to have exhausted the number of years the codes can be reset manually and inspected without returning so I've decided just to try and solve it once and for all. I'm getting codes:

1201-1206 for each cylinder misfire
0300 for random misfire
0325 for 1st knock sensor bank 1
1399 for the pending misfire
and lastly, the 0401 EGR insufficient flow

Now, I've looked into this through some old discussions on here and it sounds like I've got to clean the exhaust manifold and that's that. I'm also told that this is something I can DIY but I lack the tools and knowledge as yet to do so. Is there any reason why the combination of codes would signify another problem or should I just go ahead and have my shop do the procedure?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
To me, it sounds more like an intake manifold cleaning. I'd say pop off the EGR and have a look inside the passageways to check for excess carbon buildup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I looked into my EGR and it didn't look all that dirty but I've got a guy looking into both systems this week and hopefully something will come up since I doubt I could clean the intake or exhaust myself. Incidentally, I discovered that the O2 sensor that runs the length of the chassis midway appears to be frayed and is exposed to the elements. Is it possible that the sensor is reporting incomplete or incorrect data that could affect readings by the computer downstream and cause the codes?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Absolutely. Even if the wire isn't grounding, corrosion from the bare wire being exposed can most definitely screw up the readings and throw a code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So UPDATE: I had my intake cleaned and got all the codes to clear and was finally able to get the car inspected after some 600 bucks worth of work but no less than a week later the check engine, VSA and warning light (the one in the center under the odometer and speedo that looks like a traffic cone) all came on simultaneously (a symptom I used to get on occasion) with the following codes: 1201-1206 and 0300 random misfire. I really can't figure out where to head next since I don't have an O2 sensor failure and the faulty knock sensor was replaced. I wonder if I you think that possibly damage O2 with the striped wiring could cause this?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
What was the mechanic's recommendation?

Sounds to me as if you've got some of the bugs worked out, but not all of them yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.