Acura World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November of 2012, I purchased an 06 Acura TL with around 61k miles on it.
Since I have owned the car, I have noticed that whenever I hit a bump, pothole, etc while applying the brakes, they shake/pulsate for a couple of seconds after hitting the bump/pothole. I don’t know if this has anything to do with my issue or not, but it seems unnatural and worth mentioning. It should also be noted that I live on the east coast, where the snow plows generate an abundance of freakish potholes every winter. I drive about 30 miles on two- lane country roads for about an hour to work every day. The potholes are unavoidable when there’s oncoming traffic in the other lane.

In May of 2013, I took the car into a Honda dealership close to my office and had the front and rear pads replaced. I thought this was odd as I remember seeing the dealership’s maintenance records on it when I purchased it and seeing that the brake pads had been replaced when the prior owner traded it in.

Then, when I took the car in for an oil change at the end of July 2013, they said I needed new brakes again. I thought that was extremely fast for my brakes to need to be replaced and told them I had just had my brakes done in May. They assumed it was the rotors, so they replaced my rotors and pads.

A couple days after having the rotors and pads replaced, the brakes started squealing. I thought this was residual grease that just needed to wear off, but the squealing persisted. A few days later, just by placing my hand next to the wheel wells, it seemed like there was a lot more heat coming off the front brakes than the rear. I took the car back in to the same dealer, and they replaced the calipers, rotors, and pads this time. The cost of my brake maintenance has now exceeded well over $1,000 over a 5-month period.

A few days later, the squealing starts up again. I go back to the shop and let them know, and the foreman gets in the car with me to go for a ride. He hears the squealing too and also notices the heat and eventually suspects that there is a problem with a brake valve or a brake line that is causing the pads to be constantly pushed up against the rotor as I am driving, causing them to become chelated, constantly squeal, and wear down at such a fast rate.

The dealership replaces the break line/brake valve at this point and gives me another set of new calipers, rotors?, and pads for free. The problem seems to go away.

Skip forward to May of 2015. My front brakes start squealing again. It starts out as a pulsating squeal (like Tssss, Tssss, Tssss). Early on, sometimes when I hit a bump the squealing stops temporarily and then starts back up when I hit another bump/pothole, and then it turns into a pretty consistent squeal. A lot more time has passed this time since the last fiasco, so I hope that it’s just time for new pads.

This time I replace the pads myself. When I take off the old pads, I see that there is about 40-50% left on them. On the front-passenger-side inside pad there are two 2-square millimeter chunks missing at the bottom inside part of the break pad.

I made a feeble attempt to file down the rotors as best as I could without taking them off and put the new pads on. I probably should have replaced the rotors as well, but I don’t think that’s the root of the problem. A week later --- I’m getting the Tssss, Tssss, Tssss sound again.
Now the breaks squeal whenever the car moves. Whatever happened before is happening again.

My questions:

Is the pulsating/shaking of brakes after hitting potholes the source of or major contributor to this problem? (If so, why don’t I hear about this problem from the fifty other 06 TL owners at my office?)

Do you think that the foreman was correct in that it was a brake line/brake valve?

What needs to be done to fix this problem? And will hit happen again the next time I hit a pothole?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts