Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1997 Acura 1.7EL and would like to turn this family sedan into a nice sleeper =)

i was wondering if any of you know what kind of engine swap would be the best .. is the b18 or b16 an option?

thx

·
ILLa KiLLa from MaNiLa
753 Posts
No such thing as a 1997 1.7EL.

But if you have a 1.6, then a B-series is an economical swap.

·
418 Posts
whoa whoa, take it easy playa.

What Telly means is there's no such thing as a 97 "1.7EL". For 97, its the 1.6EL. 1.7ELs are only avalible in year 2001 and beyond, as a reflection of the increased engine displacement. Element probably just had a small typo or something.

·
Go Oilers
1,634 Posts

·
Integra Mod
7,144 Posts
There is no direct swap for the 1.7. You can't swap d-series engines and b-series engines without significant modifications including new engine mounts.

·
ILLa KiLLa from MaNiLa
753 Posts
Ak-47 said:
Ummm i think there is such thing as a 97 EL ..http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...a&model=EL&country=&state=&year=1997&sort_by=

Please don't talk when you know nothing about it,
And who do you think you are exactly? Do you know the difference between a 1.6 and 1.7? Do you know what an EL looks like? Go back to cardomain and read up. In case you couldn't tell by my many posts in this section, I know quite a bit about the EL's. You seem to have put up this post to boost your fragile ego. But I seriously suggest you edit it, for now you look quite the fool. Yes indeedy.
:0wned:

·
ILLa KiLLa from MaNiLa
753 Posts
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...a&model=EL&country=&state=&year=1997&sort_by=

Those are all 1.6 EL's. I said there's no such thing as a 1.7EL from 1997 because the 1.7's came out in the 2001 model year. You quite obviously don't know who you just insulted, n00b. Before you go around the internet feeding your ego by putting others down, you should make sure you're not setting yourself up to look moronic.

I would normally have let it go without posting but I'm in a bad mood lately what with all the little n00bies out there thinking they know this, that and more than everyone.

·
Go Oilers
1,634 Posts
who cares... the guy is an idiot... he should have seen or at least done his research.

Whatever... all telly did was inform the guy that there is no such thing as a 97 "1.7"

But yes there are EL's in 96, in the form of a "1.6".

Now i dont know enough about engines and what not... so i can care less... all im saying is he should at least know who has rank...

my 0.02.... IM OUT

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Let's all just calm down here and stick to the topic of discussion. The mixup has been cleared up, you've all got your shots in at Ak-47, so let's leave it at that.

By the way, welcome to AcuraWorld, ELeMeNt-! (It doesn't often get this heated in here ;) )

·
Go Oilers
1,634 Posts
A hand for the Moderator... stepping in and taking control of the issue.

Can somebody please explain to me what a B16, B18, D17... like what do those numbers represent. I can pretty much guess that our EL's have a D17... 01+.

But what exactly is a D17.

·
Integra Mod
7,144 Posts
All D-series engines are SOHC VTEC 4 cylinder engines. They are tuned more for fuel economy than performance. B-series engines are DOHC; some are vtec, others are not.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
if you decide to swap in a b18 series motor, youll probably want to to the B18C1 or the B18C5, both of which are VTEC--the C1 is the integra GS-R motor, and the C5 is the integra Type R motor. unless you want to take it even further and turbo/SC it, where youll probably want one of the non-VTEC B18 motors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol thx for all the tips haha!!! srry made a little mistake hitting 7 instead of 6 :p

jeez didnt know i would make suck an issue ..i found a b16 .. probably gonna mount it in the next weeks .. any tips on that?! (im not planning on turbocharging it .. not yet :p) wanna see how the motor runs first

·
Go Oilers
1,634 Posts
No problem Element...

Thats what we're here for. To help eachother out. Nobody said that it was ur fault this thread got touchy... just that since we are here to help eachother out... lets not say things about others that we dont know are true or whatever the case. We all did are best to help you out and by helping you out im sure we may have helped out some others as well.

May I also suggest this forum.... www.clubel.ca

Telly, AC15, and I are also members there under the same names.

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
navdhanju said:
May I also suggest this forum.... www.clubel.ca

Telly, AC15, and I are also members there under the same names.
TeLLY doesn't go there anymore. I'll let him explain if he so chooses. ;)

I'm registered under a different name on there, but I don't go there much.

·
Go Oilers
1,634 Posts
RiceBoy said:
TeLLY doesn't go there anymore. I'll let him explain if he so chooses. ;)

I'm registered under a different name on there, but I don't go there much.
I rarely ever go there... i browse around and i think ive only posted maybe once or twice there.

But its a good site for info on the EL. What happened TeLLy. Please explain if want to.

·
418 Posts
nothing against clubel, but its really not the same anymore since I joined around 1.5 year ago because a few key members, like Telly, left. still a good car club tho.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts