Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a while back my speedometer started wiggling around and displaying a much lower speed than I was going i.e. started showing 40 MPH when I was clearly going 70-80 on the highway.

My check engine light popped on, but I was still able to run the car and my odometer wasn't working anymore.

I was thinking about fixing it, but I decided not to because

1. I'm lazy

2. By the odometer not going up, I'm not depreciating the resale value

3. If you can't already conclude from #2, I'm poor.

But alas, the DMV sent me a notice to renew my registration and get a smog check, and that blasted check engine light is going to rat out my devious plot, so I need to get my speedometer fixed.

The thing was making like a clipping noise like "brrrrrrr" every now and then, which made me think it might be the speedometer cable, so I popped off the cluster and checked both ends of the cable and have to say that things look pretty good on both ends i.e. no gunked up greaseballs and hooked properly...

So now I'm wondering, if it's the speed sensor??? I don't want to buy a new speed sensor (VSS) if it isn't the problem, and I don't want to buy a new cable if that isn't the problem either. Does anyone know for certain what it might be? I can say that after I turn on the car, I can drive for a few min before the CE light pops on, and there is sound that seems to come from my dashboard/cluster area when I drive that made me suspect the cable, but as I said, upon checking, I'm not really sure how to tell if it is broken since I've never changed a speedometer before.

Any help appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, ran my car and checked the cable and it seems to be working fine because the needle spins when I move back/fourth a bit in the car. Going to sleep then work and try to see if I can solve this when I get back home. Will keep the topic updated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts