Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to cars. I recently got this 1992 Acura Vigor auto that has a blown tranny. I've been reading around, and would not like to have to replace the auto tranny w/ another faulty auto because it seems to be a common problem for the 5 cylinder engine. I came accross this parts list for an auto to 5-speed swap thats for an Accord of almost the same chassy (93 I think).

Parts List
Transmission
Flywheel
Clutch assembly
Slave cylinder
Clutch master cylinder
All lines and dampener from master to slave cylinder
Includes--
line from master cylinder to dampener
dampener, bracket and bolts to hold to fender
rubber line from dampener to adapter on transmission
adapter and bolt to hold to transmission
line from adapter to slave cylinder
bolt that holds rubber line to adapter(banjo-bolt)
Starter for manual tranny
Drivers side CV shaft and intermediate shaft
Transmission mount and bracket
Front motor mount(at radiator)
Rear motor mount(at firewall)
Speedometer sensor (salvage yard may leave it on the tranny)
Shifter cables, holding clips, clevis pins and cotter pins
Shifter cable bracket for tranny (salvage yard may leave it on the tranny)
Shifter assembly
Shifter boot assembly and shift knob
Clutch pedal assembly
Both switches for clutch and their plug-in connectors
Brake and gas pedal assembly
30 Amp Relay
Manual ECU
Bolts Needed
Transmission bolt that goes through starter and bolt below it(the two longest bolts)
Flywheel bolts
Pressure plate bolts
Slave cylinder bolts
Intermediate shaft hanger bolts
Transmission shifter bracket bolts

My question is, considering that those accords and vigors were very similar, would this parts list work for me getting everything I'd need from a 5-speed Vigor? Thanks~!

-R

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, I found some accord-1993 and below, checked out the pedals and they look compatible. Pedals solved. I also found a 5 speed tranny.

All I need now are axles and the ECU. The clutch/flywheel I'll get new, slave, lines and master cylinder as well. The thing is, I was looking for used transmission ECUs on car-parts.com and it didn't offer the MT option, which means the ECUs are compatible OR the part is so rare that they don't bother listing it. I'll do some research.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wondering, are Honda transmission ECU's "hackable"? I know the nissan 240sx doesnt need to switch the ECUs over cause you can trick the ECU to think that its always in park, hard wire to the reverse lights and such.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm already half-way through the conversion, VERY TOUGH MOTOR to work on....I've worked on a celica, my 240SXs, and a honda prelude. The tough part about our motors is that the axles go into the block, VERY UNCOMMON. I'll post pics up on my cardomain page.

·
Registered
22 Posts
really keep me updated on the proess and about how long and how much it cost because i really would love my vigor a whole lot more if it where a manual. that is uncommon goodluck and could you post link to your car domain page

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What he said is true, there is a WHOLE LOT of work w/ this project. That being said, my reasons for doing this conversion stands on the fact that MOST acura vigor/TL w/ the G25A1 have really frequent auto transmission problems. Rather than dealing w/ a known recurring problem, I'd rather take the time and fix the car right. I'd like to have it down as few times as possible being its a family car. I wouldn't suggest having a shop do this, the motor is EXTREMELY unusual, the axles shafts go into the motor. The wiring should come out w/o having to take it off the motor(You can find a way).

All in all, the project is 75% complete. I just have to inspect the clutch and get at least a brand new clutch disc. I'll post pics/links to my page when I'm done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nevertheless, I still just wanted to opt for a 5-spd. I'd rather do a clutch job than fork over some $$$ for an auto tranny rebuild. I'm just more comfortable w/ a stick. Just to note, the clutches on these cars are pull-type. COSTS $400-600~!!!!

PS TL, who's that girl in your avatar?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Alright, I have all the parts now...the car's been prepped for a month, been waiting on the parts to come!!! If anyone's curious about the costs, here's a quick run down:

All parts necessary for 5 - spd swap
(Entire package from salvage yard) - $900
Manual Tranny
Manual ECU, wiring harness
Clutch pedal
clutch master/slave/lines
flywheel
clutch
brake pedal
Shift Linkage and shifter assembly
Starter

Turns out you shouldn't pull the damn pilot bearing on the flywheel on the Vigors, I screwed that up. I decided to also throw in a new clutch with the new flywheel I had to buy FROM THE DEALER~! Great, I know, $$$. But then I said, "what the hell, lets do a full tune up".....more $$$

Brand New Flywheel - 240.00
Clutch kit - 299.00 --->Ebay, I can get you the guy's account if you need a cheap stock clutch

Distributor cap/rotor
Spark Plugs (5)
Wires
Valve cover gasket (it needed it)
fuel filter
oil filter
air filter
timing belt and tensioner
waterpump

Everything cost about $300 from drivewire.com.
300 + 240 + 299 + 900 = 1739

Yeah, this swap is costly, but I'll enjoy it in the end.
Pics to come.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, if I didn't mess up the flywheel, I could knock off 250 from that price tag. Also, I found everything from the manual car.....not sure if I have to replace the ignition too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I havent completed the interior, just the motor being dropped in. I'll be leaving the interior out until all the problems go away. It'd be easier to troubleshooting w/ the wiring exposed. All in all, w/o waiting for parts, it took about 3 days, 4-5 hours each day. I could probably complete it in a weekend if all the parts and tools were at my disposal. This swap is a LOT easier w/ the motor pulled out. The trickier part is the electrical, I need to make sure all the sensors are hooked up and that the reverse and park/neutral are all working too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
so if a person has help it can be done in a shorter time? could you give me a list of neccessary parts there is a manual vigor being parted out. might try and get the tranny and parts neccessary parts needed if you could it be appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

To anyone that has a digital cam and can help: I need to know where the two wires from the positive terminal go to. It kinda shows that one of the wires goes to the fuse box w/ the cover on. I need to know EXACTLY where it does under the cover, so any help would be appreciated. I also need to know where the ground terminal from the battery bolts to the block. Thanks~!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts