Acura World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I recently bought a 1996 Acura TL from a dealership. I was able to drive it from the dealership back home (1.5hr drive).

At home, I used the car remote (given by the dealership) to open the car and the horn started to beep (car alarm). I tried to press lock and unlock from the remote but the beeping does not stop. I went inside the car put the keys in and tried to open the engine but it does not work (engine not starting) plus the beeping horn still does not stop. Until later the beeping just stops.

Until now, the engine it is still not starting. I had the battery checked from an auto store and they said the battery is OK. So, right now, I do not know what to do. I am thinking maybe it is the cars security feature or the EGR valve? I have no idea.

Please share your opinion/experience/solution about this. Please help.

Thank you!

I actually uploaded a short on yt about this you might want to look into it: HELP! 1996 Acura TL not starting its been a month now

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you happen to call the dealer n see what they have to say? I have a 96 TL now. When it wouldn't start had to replace main relay switch. It could also be bad starter...fuel pump relay..spark plugs..battery connection..etc. You have someone that could test some of these things to find the issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone.

I recently bought a 1996 Acura TL from a dealership. I was able to drive it from the dealership back home (1.5hr drive).

At home, I used the car remote (given by the dealership) to open the car and the horn started to beep (car alarm). I tried to press lock and unlock from the remote but the beeping does not stop. I went inside the car put the keys in and tried to open the engine but it does not work (engine not starting) plus the beeping horn still does not stop. Until later the beeping just stops.

Until now, the engine it is still not starting. I had the battery checked from an auto store and they said the battery is OK. So, right now, I do not know what to do. I am thinking maybe it is the cars security feature or the EGR valve? I have no idea.

Thank you!
Try using the key in the outside driver door handle. Use the key to lock it then unlock. Then get in the car put your seat belt on , foot on the brake, and then try and start the car. I hope that works for you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello everyone.

Thank you!
What kind of "dealership" did you buy this from? Not a Honda or Acura dealership I think.

You have some sort of security problem. The key/fob seems to not be properly registered with the cars computer. The horn honking etc is evidence of the security system being activated.

You will have to take this to a real dealership to get this fixed.

Used cars, esp those bought from auctions frequently come with just one, or sometimes none of the original keys & fobs. Small time user car dealers then get a key to work "kinda" with a computer. My guess is the physical key will work, but the fob will not. The fob's code is not registered in the cars ecu.

This will likely cost you $300-$500 to get fixed properly.

Good luck

Astrobuf

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sorry your having a costly problem with your recent purchase. I'm sure it is very frustrating. I purchased my Acura TL from at the time was Brumos Lexus of Orange Park (currently Fields Lexus of Orange Park). The original owner traded it in on a new Lexus. I received all the books/service records along with 2 black keys, 2 FOBs, and one gray valet key and have never had one problem with the car's security system. I transported vehicles to and from auctions for dealers new and used, big and small for 25+ years and have seen some very unique and creative security systems. I merely offered you a simple no cost procedure that has proven to work for me hundreds of times on vehicles with factory installed security systems to try and help you with your situation. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It didn't cost you anything but 30 seconds of your time. There is one fact in your post that I believe to be 100% true and correct. You stated "I have no idea." Good luck with your not starting problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sorry your having a costly problem with your recent purchase. I'm sure it is very frustrating. I purchased my Acura TL from at the time was Brumos Lexus of Orange Park (currently Fields Lexus of Orange Park). The original owner traded it in on a new Lexus. I received all the books/service records along with 2 black keys, 2 FOBs, and one gray valet key and have never had one problem with the car's security system. I transported vehicles to and from auctions for dealers new and used, big and small for 25+ years and have seen some very unique and creative security systems. I merely offered you a simple no cost procedure that has proven to work for me hundreds of times on vehicles with factory installed security systems to try and help you with your situation. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It didn't cost you anything but 30 seconds of your time. There is one fact in your post that I believe to be 100% true and correct. You stated "I have no idea." Good luck with your not starting problem.
I'm sorry I am new to this posting business. I just realized I replied to a reply that wasn't sent to me. Please forgive me. It was truly a mistake on my part.!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello everyone.

Thank you!
it seems security issue with fob key you should consult to dealer. If you hear a single click when you turn the key, but the engine won’t start, that could mean there’s a problem with the electrical system. The starter motor is responsible for physically turning the engine over and getting the engine to fire. If this is the issue, you’ll need a new one installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you happen to call the dealer n see what they have to say? I have a 96 TL now. When it wouldn't start had to replace main relay switch. It could also be bad starter...fuel pump relay..spark plugs..battery connection..etc. You have someone that could test some of these things to find the issue?
Thanks for replying! We’re kinda doing DIY as of now. We changed the spark plugs the rotors etc. we checked the battery and it works. Still, the car won’t start. When I plug the key and turn it, all the lights in the dash board would light up but that’s it, car wont start. Will be calling the dealership tomorrow and call some auto repair shops regarding my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try using the key in the outside driver door handle. Use the key to lock it then unlock. Then get in the car put your seat belt on , foot on the brake, and then try and start the car. I hope that works for you.
Thank you for replying! I did this already, still the car doesn’t start. When I plug the key and turn it, all the light in the dash board would open light up but car won’t open. Thank you for the suggestion tho!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of "dealership" did you buy this from? Not a Honda or Acura dealership I think.

You have some sort of security problem. The key/fob seems to not be properly registered with the cars computer. The horn honking etc is evidence of the security system being activated.

You will have to take this to a real dealership to get this fixed.

Used cars, esp those bought from auctions frequently come with just one, or sometimes none of the original keys & fobs. Small time user car dealers then get a key to work "kinda" with a computer. My guess is the physical key will work, but the fob will not. The fob's code is not registered in the cars ecu.

This will likely cost you $300-$500 to get fixed properly.

Good luck

Astrobuf

Thank you so much for this reply! We bought it from Car Castle in IL. And yes, you are correct. The remote key they gave me is not the real Acura remote. I was wondering if I can just buy original Acura car keys from ebay, one that is compatible with the 1996 Acura TL. Lol I dont know if that will work. But, worst comes to worst I’ll probably pay that amount just to start the car.

Thank you! Appreciate this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it seems security issue with fob key you should consult to dealer. If you hear a single click when you turn the key, but the engine won’t start, that could mean there’s a problem with the electrical system. The starter motor is responsible for physically turning the engine over and getting the engine to fire. If this is the issue, you’ll need a new one installed.
Thank you for this reply! There’s a single click when I turn the key and then when I am turning it the second time around to finally start it, the lights in the dash board would light up and car wont start. I can’t even turn the key for the second time to start because seems like there’s something blocking it.

Thank you for this suggestion!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello! I called the dealer and told them what happened. They said that they will call me back but they never called me back. I will go around some mechanic shops here in my city and ask some help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! Thanks for replying to my post. I uploaded a short vid on my yt about what happens to my car when I try to start it. You might wanna know what it looks like:

Contact 'Old Capitol Lockshop' in Benecia, CA. The locksmith has a technique for producing a new Key which will work. I ran into this situation after a theft of my keys w/ fob.
Otherwise, only a Dealer can solve your problem, and only after you agree to about a $500 bill. I think the above replacement key is (was) about $200 plus shipping. What a heck of "Security System" Honda devised back then...
Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts