Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had 2 normal key sets and somehow managed to lose both. I have the red key and thankfully was warned to not use it. acura dealership wants $90 a key (no fob) plus $130ish for programing. Ouch. I see uncut keys going for ~$15 online with the fobs going for ~$35. can I have a key-place copy the red one's "cut" to the uncut ones? even if I still have to get it programed, I'm saving $150 getting two new keys.

also, does the red key's presence allow me to start the car? like can I make a generic cut and just have the red key close to the ignition to drive the car?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Nope. You can't have a duplicate cut from the immobilizer key, and the online keys won't work.

You *may* be able to have the new Acura key cloned by a locksmith, but you definitely can't do that with the immobilizer key. Don't even try to have the immobilizer copied, because that immobilizer key is meant for programming and if you try to clone it and then start your vehicle, it'll be the same as trying to start it with the immobilizer key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. You can't have a duplicate cut from the immobilizer key, and the online keys won't work.

You *may* be able to have the new Acura key cloned by a locksmith, but you definitely can't do that with the immobilizer key. Don't even try to have the immobilizer copied, because that immobilizer key is meant for programming and if you try to clone it and then start your vehicle, it'll be the same as trying to start it with the immobilizer key.
OK, thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts