Acura World banner

1997 Integra idle issues

9K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  asears90 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeat topic but i have a 1997 Integra with about 136k on it. When i first got it there was a stalling problem and i identifyed it as the distributer and replaced it. The were no more problems, but after a while it started to idle real low when i first started it, like around 500 then it would level out at 1000. Now i've noticed that its warm out my car jumps up to like 2000 when i put it in nuetral then lowers to 1500 untill i come to a complete stop then it drops to 1000. Also if i put the A/C on, forget it, my car runs like garbage and has such a problem pulling off and never idles above 500. I did a little research and found the problem could lie with the trottle body and that vavle in it being cloged with carbon. My question is does anyone have any advice through personal experience or know of the situation. Thank you.

#2 ·
Usually idle problems on Hondas are characterized by a bouncing idle. This is caused by a vacuum leak. A leaky or disconnected hose will cause this, if the FITV (Fast idle thermo valve) needs adjustment it can cause this as well. Also the Idle Air Control Valve on the back of the intake may need cleaning. I would start there and get it cleaned out then go through the other standard issues and see if any of that cleans up your idle issue. If not then you may have a somewhat more significant issue.

#4 ·
Yeah should be fine for most things. Just make sure you let everything dry out and remove all rubber seals and hoses so the cleaner doesn't eat away at it.

#6 ·
Sounds good to me!

#9 ·
Just remember, its less expensive to do it right the first time than have to repair/replace parts that you screwed up by cutting corners. Not that you will... just saying.

#10 ·
This is true i'll be sure not to.

Ok so here's the deal, entirely new distributor, bosch wire set, ngk iridium plugs, kn air filter, then just as i was getting to work on the throttle body i decided to look for vacuum leaks. Sure enough there was a vacuum hose that had been replaced and cut too short so it dried out and split. I replaced it and put clamps to make sure the vacuum was 100% at that location. Good news is it fixed it for about 30 minutes. If you remember from before i had mention it was idling at 1500 while moving in neutral then leveled at 1000 when i came to a complete stop. Now it idles at 1000 while moving then drops to 500 at a complete stop. How ever though, it doesn't jump up anymore when i first start the car. Any ideas on this or is that normal?

#11 ·
To allow the ECM/PCM adaptive idle speed system to learn and adjust the engine idle speed,

• Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio unit, defogger, lights, etc.) are turned off, then start the engine.

• Let the engine reach its normal operating temperature (the cooling fans cycle twice; the coolant temperature is about 194°F).

• Let the engine idle for at least 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed and with all electrical items turned off.

• If the cooling fans cycle on while doing an adaptive idle learn, add the time they are on to the 5 minute adaptive idle learn time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.