Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my name is Alex. I acquired the CL for a daily driver. The money I was going to replace a transmission, timing chain, axels in my previous car this car was cheaper. Lets see my wife and I have been driving it for a month and a half right now and well, I knew I was getting a used car with work ahead and have been addressing them as they come.
This one was just me I painted the grill the faded look was bugging me, and got a good look at the bumper cover, the po mentioned that when he had it towed that the sling cut into it, not bad thought.
A little flat black with the rattle can does wonders to the look, I need to look up a paint codes for the car, its black with small flack.
It's funny after driving the car, you notice all the rest of them out there on the road. I need to build up some post time before I can post some pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to clean up under the hood, I have been seeing and smelling smoke from oil and oddly enough plastic burning from under the hood when you would come to a stoplight or waiting in traffic. Well I covered everything with engine degreaser and I mean everything, I didn't use our pressure washer just garden hose, it cleaned up pretty good, finished off with washing it up. After a few hours of sitting went to get bite from our local subway, which is about 9 miles from the house. Got about 1/4 mile down the road and the car just shut off, caught me by surprise, my natural reaction was to throw it in to neutral, (was doing 45 mph when it did this ) I turned the key back to reset it started right up and kept driving, I thought I had gotten the ignition wet when I cleaned the back half of the engine, I called the previous owner and asked if he had a similar reaction. He had mentioned that it had also happened to him so he quiet trying to clean it back there. So with that little bit of info, I kept going and well it happened to me 12 times in the round trip there and back, but it was happening less the closer I got to the house, but still happening ,and I was paying attention each time the tach would drop to 0, and would reset the key and it would start up up instantly each time, the dash would show me the prndl selector moving from drive to neutral each time , the check engine light was on but for a rear o2 sensor but nothing else.
When I finally made it home got my 1/4 inch drive set out and pulled cap to see what was going on, sure enough the cap and rotor where way way over due for replacement and also found one oil leak that is coming from the distributor inner shaft,(have pictures to add later) I need to stop and get that seal from the dealer. The list keeps growing, stopped at local auto parts store and got a new cap and rotor. Well it helped but did not take care of the problem, its is dieing just every once in awhile but very random, could be doing 70 down the highway and it will just shut off. I was wondering if the coil or even the ignition module have been over worked from the cap being so bad, for who knows how long it has been like this or when I got everything wet what else might have been on the verge of going at this time. After a week crazy enough it stopped doing this without finding the cause which I hate but can't fix what's not acting up, I took the module to have it tested while it still is working and they said it was fine and checked the coil and it falls within specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue returned with vengeance one day, to the point that it it would die in the driveway several times trying to back up to the back side of our house. When I finally made it to the top, right when I grabbed the key it shut off, pushed it forward it lite up as normal, pulled it back it cut the power, I was on to something here, did a google search and it came up to a link to here Acura world. engine-quits-running-suddenly-while-driving
I laughed at how similar the problem was, but it made sense to me, something was cutting the power off and tried the main fuel pump relay which was a lot easier than the ignition assembly. But that didn't do it either, so started with dropping the cover to see the switch, and right away I saw that there is a screw missing and the whole electrical switch mounted to the side of the ignition assembly, you could turn the key and watched that end just roll up and down and move around. So had to decided what to replace, the whole assembly was 238. plus tax which came with a new key and also meant dealing with a extra key. I decided to replace the electrical part of the assembly which was 40.bucks plus tax. I got to say they don't want you to do this without removing the complete assembly but it can be done, after 40 mins I got to try it out, and so far so good.

It has been 3 weeks from this point that it has not shut off once, so what I thought was a issue in the engine compartment lead to a ignition switch loose on the tumbler, nice :sqnteek:
On to the next which was to get the check engine light to come off, the rear back 02 sensor just past the cat. Along with the seal for the distributor, looks like the valve cover need to be done too. I believe the intake had been taking off to clean the egr port at one time, will have to look up records to see.
Funny can't put up the link or the url

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a bit but had to save up for the new radiator and also get the center link for my s10. I have been splitting up the highway driving with the Acura and s10, I think I will end up doing the upper and lower control arm bushings here soon too along with the upper and lower ball joints. I just rolled 80000, as just a year ago I had started with 64000 so I want to try and get the truck off the road here soon.
Did the rear o2 sensor reset cel, it has been running decent, I did notice the cat should be replaced, I read on a old thread that there is a bypass pipe that could be put in place of cat, my question does that eliminate the rear o2? Any input would be appreciated. It is running a little rich the plugs wires cap and rotor have been done, so need to find my fuel pressure gauge on it and start with that, see if the regulator is working right, I'm getting 24mpg as a average I want try and improve that. That will be the next to check, radiator showed up a week ago along with the center drag link, had time today to do the radiator, did drag link last weekend. Helped a friend last week to do his struts on all 4 corners and what a difference, so added that to the list of things to buy for the Acura, these are over due for replacement. I will get the name that he bought wanted to compare his price to a standard complete set, his were adjustable and we dropped his 2 inches, I think he paid 500 for all 4. I will have pictures for everything have been snapping pics as I go along, we have been loving it so far now with the radiator done one less thing to think about, it wasn't leaking but with the summer temps starting to climb it was showing signs of old age with it still the original one I just wanted it new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts